Author Topic: Brompton rack wheels  (Read 2244 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Brompton rack wheels
« on: 05 March, 2016, 02:14:36 pm »
I'm progressing with my Brompton rebuild - another question.

It's a T6 speed from 2003 - the rack's rear rollers are mounted with one on the outside of the rack and one on the inside - is that correct?  Pictures that I can find seem to have the rollers with both on the outside, or as mine.   Logic suggests that they should both be on the outside of the rack, although the rear light (which I'm going to remove) is off-set slightly perhaps to accommodate the inboard wheel? [I'm fitting the 4 EazyWheels if that makes a difference]

Thanks

Rob

Re: Brompton rack wheels
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »
Never really thought about it, but both mine and Mrs Poacher's have the left hand wheel on the inside of the rack and the right hand wheel on the outside. That's how they came new from the shop, so I suppose that's how they're meant to be. Weird, eh!

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2016, 04:35:13 pm »
Never really thought about it, but both mine and Mrs Poacher's have the left hand wheel on the inside of the rack and the right hand wheel on the outside. That's how they came new from the shop, so I suppose that's how they're meant to be. Weird, eh!

Looking at my machine in its folded state one could argue that putting the wheel on the outside would increase the width of the package very slightly (in fact almost nothing when you line it up with the pedal when that's folded.  Trawling through images of Bromptons on Google (where you can see the rack/wheels) there does seem to be inconsistency.

Pulling mine along with the Eazy Wheels and it tracks to one side - I think I'll put both wheels on the outside ... but I'd still be interested in replies to my original question ...

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2016, 04:58:40 pm »
Yep, that's how it's supposed to be.  I assume it's more a case of the right wheel on the outside being the odd one out, rather than the left one on the inside, IYSWIM.  It makes the folded package a bit more stable.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2016, 11:08:29 am »
I just went to look at mine (2014 Ithink) because I was convinced that they were both outside. Sitting with the rear folded I looked and sure enough both wheels are outside with the bungees on the inside. Then I read Kim's comment and thought "chances of Kim being correct and me being incorrect - higher than unity" so I unfolded the rear and sure enough the left hand wheel is inside.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2016, 12:23:47 pm »
One rack wheel is inside to minimise folded width. The other is outside for folded stability.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2016, 02:45:14 pm »
One rack wheel is inside to minimise folded width. The other is outside for folded stability.

That's what I had twigged ... I'm still going to mount both wheels on the outside for increased stabilty/improved wheeling as the package size isn't too important to me.

Thanks

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »
I can't help thinking that extending the right-side wheel out a little more would greatly improve the stability...

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2016, 03:33:03 pm »
I can't help thinking that extending the right-side wheel out a little more would greatly improve the stability...

I think you mean the "nearside" in car terminology? - i.e. the left one when you are sitting on the bike.   I've just changed it over and the machine is more stable when both "parked" and fully folded.    I'll leave it like that, with both wheels on the outside, for a while and see how I get on with it.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2016, 03:40:45 pm »
No, the offside one - the one which ends up not-quite under the front wheel when folded, which is the side that the folded package wants to flop over to.

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2016, 05:19:00 pm »
No, the offside one - the one which ends up not-quite under the front wheel when folded, which is the side that the folded package wants to flop over to.

Presumably extending the axle (fitting a longer bolt and spacers)??

I've been wheeling my machine up and down in its folded state but with handlebars/stem up and it now tracks pretty much in a straight line with the rear wheels both on the outside.

Rob