Author Topic: Bus Pass Bike  (Read 2473 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Bus Pass Bike
« on: 21 March, 2016, 07:41:26 pm »
Now I'm approaching that age I'm  dreaming of a bike that is convenient to take on buses and still fun to ride 100k or more or for occasional COR.  I'm toying with the idea of building something  on a Xootr Swift frameset. Has anyone any other ideas/experience?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bus Pass Bike
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2016, 07:56:43 pm »
I didn't know that bikes came in "convenient to take on buses".  My understanding was that even a Brompton is likely to go down badly with the average bus driver[1], so perhaps it needs to be easily disguised as Luggage?

[1] Bus driver attitudes do seem to be regional, though, so maybe yours are nicer.

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:03:00 pm »
I've taken my folded Brommie on Rail Bus Replacement (dis)services within the capital without as much as a squeak from the bus driver.
I appreciate that YMMV.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:11:52 pm »
Bustitution drivers don't seem to have the same can't-do attitude as normal bus drivers, though it's been yonks since I had to use one.

As for normal buses, I certainly wouldn't rate your chances in Stockport.  I wouldn't even try to take one on a Birmingham bus, and I'm not even black.  Might work better in the People's Republic or That London if it's not too busy.

Of course for me one of the best things about having a bike is that you don't need to use a bus, but YMMV.

Anyway, assuming that hurdle's overcome, a Brompton wouldn't be high on my list of bikes that are fun to ride 100km on, and you really want bigger wheels for the COR...

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »
Bustitution drivers don't seem to have the same can't-do attitude as normal bus drivers, though it's been yonks since I had to use one.

As for normal buses, I certainly wouldn't rate your chances in Stockport.  I wouldn't even try to take one on a Birmingham bus, and I'm not even black.  Might work better in the People's Republic or That London if it's not too busy.

Of course for me one of the best things about having a bike is that you don't need to use a bus, but YMMV.

Anyway, assuming that hurdle's overcome, a Brompton wouldn't be high on my list of bikes that are fun to ride 100km on, and you really want bigger wheels for the COR...
It does.(Occasionally)  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2016, 09:18:35 am »
Having reached and passed 'bus pass age' I have acquired a Brompton and find it excellent for riding down wind on very windy days with the prospect of an easy bus ride or two back into the head wind to get home.
Using the brompton cover has worked for me on the bus as the folded bike is then quite inconspicuous, with all my gear in a T bag over my shoulder.

« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:35:36 pm »
I didn't know that bikes came in "convenient to take on buses".  My understanding was that even a Brompton is likely to go down badly with the average bus driver.....

It was the reason I 1st bought and used a Brompton, and the Bus drivers were only ever impressed when I folded it (and placed in the official black and red  nylon cover) before boarding...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:59:13 pm »
I didn't know that bikes came in "convenient to take on buses".  My understanding was that even a Brompton is likely to go down badly with the average bus driver.....

It was the reason I 1st bought and used a Brompton, and the Bus drivers were only ever impressed when I folded it (and placed in the official black and red  nylon cover) before boarding...

As I said upthread, bus driver attitudes seem to vary immensely by region.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »
I'm in Northern Ireland,  and I'm thinking more of the longer-distance coaches that have belly boxes, but getting a full-size bike in is a bit of a hassle.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:49:48 am »
I'm in Northern Ireland,  and I'm thinking more of the longer-distance coaches that have belly boxes, .....
My comments come from the days of red and white/cream Belfast CityBus-es... (and hard solid plastic seats   :( )

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2016, 07:30:04 pm »
I've brought my Brompton folding bike inside many buses here in the New York city area.
In the luggage compartment of a Mega bus to Philly; as well as inside both NYC MTA and
NJ Transit buses.

It's also gone on 60 - over 100 mile(100 -160 kms.) rides:
100 Miles(160 Km.) on a Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr