Author Topic: Pothole Patching  (Read 2363 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Pothole Patching
« on: 17 October, 2017, 06:12:33 pm »
My local authority, Brent, is trialling 'injection patching' for potholes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EgkLfiJ1QE&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=1932426_YourBrent+17+October+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=London+Borough+of+Brent+Council&dm_i=2K3U%2C15F2I%2C5R5YA9%2C3K3AZ%2C1

I'd be interested to read anyone's experience and opinion of this.

How well do these patches withstand buses?

Many pothole repairs hereabouts seem to get wrecked by buses.

Re: Pothole Patching
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2017, 07:04:30 pm »
System used in Staffordshire and seems to work OK.

Need to be careful as a cyclist when descending as they leave the gravel dressing in place for it to naturally embed and disperse.

Anything that gets them in a better state quicker gets my vote.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2017, 12:26:28 pm »
If it means they patch potholes before they develop into full-on craters then it can only be a good thing.  It's not going to do anything about the heavy vehicles or subsidence that tend to cause the potholes in the first place, so I expect they'll still need re-doing on a regular basis.

Gravel hazard yes, but at least it's short-lived.

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2017, 04:57:13 pm »
It's the spray of grit in hot tar then roll/tamp down method.
Patch life seems to be ok.
But I've found it can be a bit 50-50 on how smooth/lumpy it leaves the road.
That's probably not that noticeable on a upwrong but it is on a recumbent.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2017, 06:13:18 pm »
Presumably because they're smoothing it with the lawnmower-sized ground-compacting machine, rather than a full-sized roller.  That's what they used when they put a tarmac surface on Birmingham's towpaths (because the banks couldn't take the weight of a roller), with similarly lumpy results that can be quite tedious on a non-offroad cycle.

I'll still take smoothish lumps over actual potholes, though, so as long as it's not used as an excuse to skimp on full resurfacing when needed.

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2017, 08:27:35 pm »
At least it's not the tar and gravel surface treatment they did to a couple of miles of road on my commute. It was a couple of months after I'd reported a load of potholes on that stretch. They didn't fill the holes in first so they became a pothole with loose gravel in it. It also made spotting the potholes very difficult. Dangerous really.

I digress, I've seen it been done before once. I reckon how good it is depends on how good the ppl using it are.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2017, 09:39:25 pm »
Central Beds Council have borrowed one of the machines for several months worth of work this year, and for one of the periods did quite a few potholes near me surrounding Luton.  It does produce a better join with the existing road surface, being sprayed on, and is definitely is quicker.

Have to see how the patches stand up to winter conditions.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2017, 06:16:51 am »
I'll still take smoothish lumps over actual potholes, though, so as long as it's not used as an excuse to skimp on full resurfacing when needed.
But full resurfacing nowadays is only "chip and seal" as it's quicker and cheaper but which does nothing about the underlying bumps.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:37:05 am »
At least your council is doing something, round here the strategy seems to be to wait until they get large enough to swallow a SUV then build a bridge over it

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2017, 01:51:09 pm »
But full resurfacing nowadays is only "chip and seal" as it's quicker and cheaper but which does nothing about the underlying bumps.

Sometimes they do actually do it properly.  I was delighted to discover that the resurfacing fairy had visited the area around the mini-roundabout at Alvechurch the other day.  Previously you had to take a careful line to avoid the rutted bits.

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:17:23 pm »
Sunflower oil added to the tarmacs the new thing for more effective patching according to R4 the other day. Promotes self-healing patching.