Author Topic: Share your Garmin screen info for PBP2023 or other longer rides.  (Read 1903 times)

Hello all,

I am looking for advice on Garmin screen setup for long rides, such as the now imminent PBP. What is everyone finding useful to have right there in front of them? I am thinking average speed (can this be done including stops?), distance to next control (can this be done by adding custom cues in RWGPS?), HR (just as a VERY rough guide for effort), time of day...

I'd love to find out what others have on their data screens. I am using the 1030 plus.

Thanks!
Nick.

Re: Share your Garmin screen info for PBP2023 or other longer rides.
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2023, 07:00:26 pm »
Elapsed is good one if you intend to record as one activity.  Start at start and when it hits 90 hours your time is up.

For controls just add them as course points in your PBP courses  in Garmin Connect. Your GPS will then automatically add an extra data page listing all controls and distances as long as you are navigating course.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2023, 08:27:30 pm »
I touring/audax rides I normally have the time of day, trip odometer, heart-rate and elevation displayed on my eTrex, plus turn instructions when it's navigating.  My conventional cycle computer displays current speed, cadence and temperature alongside.

For racing, I have elapsed time and average speed in large friendly letters, plus some other stuff that I only look at if I'm not trying hard enough.  My cycle computer on there does current speed, heart-rate and cadence.

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:49:43 pm »
Just the map with the track on it and distance covered.  I used to have speed (for no particular reason), I now have pulse (just for interest, if I've remembered the chest strap). 

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2023, 10:05:25 pm »
95% of the time it's the map with 3s power and speed (velomobile) or heartrate (upright)

On a different page I have average speed,  time of day, trip odometer, est. time of arrival (end of track), time in hand, GPS battery %, fat/carbs burned, Di2 battery (and two others? don't remember).

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:07:43 am »
This has been updated for 2023 PBP control closing times, the author did 2019 and again 2023

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/341a30bc-d557-4564-bf3f-cd5c8dae2f47

It calculates the difference between your elapsed time at any point along the brevet and the closing time at a control if at that location, thus your current time in hand at any point, you would want to try it on a ride before pbp so you are familiar with it, it’s a guide only of course but might confirm or otherwise your own on going mental arithmetic.

Does assume the whole 1200 as a single activity with no auto or manual pauses

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2023, 01:41:29 am »
Sunset/sunrise can be useful.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2023, 07:45:16 am »
My 2015 setup. Too decrepit for PBP these days.

On the map screen I had speed and distance to next waypoint/control.

Good luck.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2023, 12:08:19 am »

Not a garmin, but on my wahoo I have the map view, speed, and cadence. Nothing else.

If I need anything else I switch to another screen.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2023, 02:56:28 pm »
Shock horror you don't actually need a Garmin or other GPS thing to ride PBP.... therefore don't worry about it!

Last time, like T42 above I had separate tracks for each stage and showed dist to dest

But really - not an issue

Hopefully you are already in France and not reading this :)

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2023, 11:00:44 pm »
Thank you everyone - some great tips here - its getting close!