Author Topic: Android tablet and gpx file - navigating  (Read 3688 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Android tablet and gpx file - navigating
« on: 20 June, 2016, 09:28:49 pm »
I've been trying to find an answer ... but can't find one - hopefully the combined wisdom here may know??

I have a Nexus 7 tablet - 2013 vintage (running Android 5.1.1) - what I want to do, for cycle touring, is:

Use the tablet in the map case on my bar-bag showing a reasonably detailed map (Google or OSM would be fine) and be able to load a pre-plotted .gpx file of a track (plotted using Memory Map on a PC, saved as a .gpx)

The complete map of the UK needs to be stored in the tablet (i.e. NO data connection_
I'm not bothered about turn-by-turn etc - just the position marker moving as I ride along will be just fine.
Battery life may be an issue, but I do have a battery pack to connect

I've looked at quite a few Android apps (Google, AlpineQuest, Viewrianger, MapsME, Citymapper )   I have the complete OS 1-50,000 in AlpineQuest .. but that doesn't seem to allow a gpx file to be loaded and followed.

I also use a Garmin Edge Touring with my own gpx files (with the 1-50000 OS for the UK and Garmin EU Cycle map or Velomaps for European countries) - that all works fine BUT the screen is a bit small - I like the "wider awareness" of the larger tablet-sized map view.

All suggestions appreciated ...

Rob

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: Android tablet and gpx file - navigating
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2016, 06:15:33 am »
Without trying this or investigating this further my first thoughts were to take a closer look at RidewithGPS and/or OSMAnd+ and/or OruxMaps. Another possible option is maybe MapMyRide.

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2016, 08:03:20 am »
Yes, I'm pretty sure OsmAnd will allow you to load and follow your own gpx file.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:57:53 am »
If you have the maps in Memory Map format (QCT), you could try MM Tracker.
It can display a GPX track or route or waypoints on the map. I don't think it can navigate a route as such, but it will show your position as you ride along.

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2016, 11:09:17 am »
I use Viewranger for exactly what you are hoping to do.  I have it running on a Nexus 7 for in car use and a Moto E (the really cheap one) for bike use.  I splashed out on a OS 50,000 series for Viewranger.

OsmAnd will do the same which I use for foreign journeys.

R

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:19:59 pm »
It can display a GPX track or route or waypoints on the map. I don't think it can navigate a route as such, but it will show your position as you ride along.

The gits at Memory Map sued the developer of MM Tracker and AFAIK it's been withdrawn from GoogleTunes or whatver they call the Android app store now :-(

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:23:05 pm »
I use Viewranger for exactly what you are hoping to do.  I have it running on a Nexus 7 for in car use and a Moto E (the really cheap one) for bike use.  I splashed out on a OS 50,000 series for Viewranger.

R

Viewranger seems to be a possibility ... but the plot thickens as Windows 10 can't seem to find the Nexus 7 as a drive to transfer the gpx files ... I've emailed and saved a simple gpx file on the Nexus but have yet to test it in anger.

Rob

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:30:14 pm »

The gits at Memory Map sued the developer of MM Tracker and AFAIK it's been withdrawn from GoogleTunes or whatver they call the Android app store now :-(
But you can still find a copy of the APK, and install that. There is an patched version, that works with newer versions of Android, I think the latest is v1.10.6.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:34:38 pm »

But you can still find a copy of the APK, and install that. There is an patched version, that works with newer versions of Android, I think the latest is v1.10.6.

... when I did have MM Tracker installed it did as you say - told you where you were - but you couldn't load a route/track and then follow it.

Update:  Win 10 has now found the Nexus ... I just used a different cable.

Rob

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:40:16 pm »
You can download Google Maps for offline storage now. You can't download the whole of the UK at once but you can download multiple chunks up to the limit of your device storage. I haven't tried beyond Yorkshire... but why would I? :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:43:19 pm »
... when I did have MM Tracker installed it did as you say - told you where you were - but you couldn't load a route/track and then follow it.
For MM Tracker, go to settings, then directories. You can set the track directory/route directory/waypoint directory. If you put a GPX file in one of these, it will get loaded and shown on the map.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »
I think I may have the answer with AlpineQuest - loading my gpx file to "Landmarks" - that loads the route to the OS 1-50000 (using Mem Map qct) and tells me where I am - I have to go out on foot later today so I'll plot the route and see if it works as I walk along.

Rob

« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:58:59 pm »

R

Viewranger seems to be a possibility ... but the plot thickens as Windows 10 can't seem to find the Nexus 7 as a drive to transfer the gpx files ... I've emailed and saved a simple gpx file on the Nexus but have yet to test it in anger.

Rob

I use My.viewranger and synchronise the device(s).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:56:44 pm »
I have Memory Map on a Nexus and it's easy to import gpx _ I do it via Dropbox _ and it has navigation functions. With any luck your existing MM maps are already licences for a copy on tablet.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

rr

« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2016, 06:24:42 pm »
I've done this on veiwranger and it works well.