Author Topic: Speed bonnie bike...  (Read 12466 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Speed bonnie bike...
« on: 15 January, 2010, 09:21:23 am »
There is a lot of grin around here at the moment because I have just scooped 2 "bargain berth" tickets from Euston to Inverness for the 9.15 train on Tuesday 6th April (no, it hasn't been cancelled! >:(). We are heading for the Isle of Skye for probably 8 days - just depends on bargain berths back again, the tickets for which are not available yet.

So what's there to do on Skye for a week (and possibly a day or so on Raasay)?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Speed bonnie bike...
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2010, 09:24:09 am »
With or without bikes?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2010, 09:24:44 am »
That's a point. I haven't booked the bike reservations yet. Will do that now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 15 January, 2010, 09:39:59 am »
Well, I suppose there's the Sky Ride ;)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2010, 09:53:56 am »
The tickets have been released only within the past 45 minutes and the Scotrail computer system hasn't got round to sorting out bike spaces yet. Have emailed them with my request and will phone again later today to confirm. At least I've got an 0845 number rather than spending everything I've saved with a £19 ticket on bloody 0780 numbers.

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2010, 10:06:27 am »
Wowbagger, make sure to visit Raasay. You'll love it.
I went there several years ago, two nights in the youth hostel. I went there on my much loved Trek 820 - first bike I bought new, and some b****** in London stole it. Anyway, first day there I went down to the shop and asked for a meat pie for my tea. "Yes - we'll ask for one to be brought on the boat tomorrow." I also caught myself chaining the bike up at the shop - which is pointless as if your bike is borrowed there is no way to get it off the island save the one ferry.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2010, 10:55:37 am »
A great day out would be to take the pass over to Kylerhea (on the eastern side) and take the ferry over to Glenelg - was free for bikes last time I went.  The views beofre you dip (perilously) down to Kylerha are spectacular, the pub in Glenelg used to do nice food and then there's a nice ride around the headland to Corran.  You'll need granny gears though! Unfortunately the only sensible way back is by the same route but then at least you'll get to enjoy the descents that had been climbs in the morning!  (Beware, up from Kylerhea is a stonker).
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »
Just got the bike reservations, and have booked tickets, with reservations on the 11 o'clockish train from Inverness to the Kyle.

I'm thinking about returning from Fort William, which will give us a lovely excuse to ride the Road from the Isles as a last day.

Now for some planning.

mr endon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2010, 02:58:19 pm »
That looks fantastic.

Cold, mind.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »
Loch Coruisk, where that was filmed, is many miles from the nearest road, shielded by what many consider to be Britain's most forbidding mountain range. Even Mrs. Wow and I, armed with Robin Thorn's most reinforced Rohloff, would be hard pressed to cycle there.

I reckon a reasonable alternative is in Glen Brittle, to the west of the Cuillins and with numerous waterfalls within easy reach of the road. I may well have to have a go at this, even though it will be April that we are there. I'll put in a jar of goose grease.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »
This might give you some ideas...The Skye Trail - a long-distance walk through the Isle of Skye

Cameron McNeish did it for a BBC Scotland programme that aired over Xmas, looked good.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2010, 07:56:56 pm »
Visit the Talisker distillery.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »
The tickets have been released only within the past 45 minutes and the Scotrail computer system hasn't got round to sorting out bike spaces yet. Have emailed them with my request and will phone again later today to confirm. At least I've got an 0845 number rather than spending everything I've saved with a £19 ticket on bloody 0780 numbers.

you almost certainly know this already, but depending on what your phone deal is, you may be able to find an equivalent, but cheaper number on the SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers site... (not just for 0870).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2010, 11:19:18 pm »

you almost certainly know this already, but depending on what your phone deal is, you may be able to find an equivalent, but cheaper number on the SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers site... (not just for 0870).

Yes thanks, I tracked one down.

The plan at the moment is:-

6th - sleeper

7th - train to the Kyle, ride to Glenelg (ferry permitting) stay at the Glenelg Inn (bloody expensive)

8th - cycle to Corran and back via the ferry, to Breakish / Broadford

9th - Raasay

10th - Uig

11th - Portree

12th - Milovaig

13th - Glenbrittle (SYHA - fairy pools)

14th - Glasnakille

15th - Mallaig

16th - sleeper from Fort Wm.

17th- home.

8 days seem to have become 12. So far, no B & B has been booked, nor the return sleeper.

« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:11:10 pm »
I'm sure you'll need no encouragement to sample the local nectar http://www.skyebrewery.co.uk/products.php

There is a beautiful (but steep) ride in the southern part of the island. A minor road that leaves the A851, I did it coming off the ferry from Mallaig, turn left at Kilbeg and climb (and climb) then descend to Tarskavaig enjoying the wonderful views of the mountains and sea. Continue to Ord and then climb/descend again to rejoin the main road. If you find an exposed roll of Kodachrome25 lying at the side of the road, I'd like it back...  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

gordon taylor

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:25:48 pm »

...enjoying the wonderful views of the mountains and sea.

Mountains? I've been to Skye twice and never had the slightest glimpse of any mountains.
Midges and dense mist, certainly - but not mountains.  ;)
My tent blew down too.

Enjoy yourselves!

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:32:22 pm »
"Speed" and "Bonnie" in the same sentence, together with bike, evoked Bonneville, fuel fumes and maybe motorbikes to me... It also tickled my interest being authored by Wow I have to say.  ;) No, this title is misleading...  :P

Back to topic: Lovely place it is. Loved it when we went. Hope for the sun though and low cloud cover over the Cuillins, which are well worth walking/climbing then.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:38:29 pm »
It's a cultural reference, Frenchie.

http://www.contemplator.com/scotland/skyboat.html

« Reply #19 on: 16 January, 2010, 05:43:38 pm »
My culture is too "mechanical*"! Cheers for the reference.

* This is what you get with "Bonneville" and "speed" in Wiki. A Bonnie is the nickname for Bonneville too.

PS I still have this picture of you "bombing out" on a white dry lake in my mind though...  ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 17 January, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »
I think you'll find that the Scots borrowed bon, bonne from the French when the term "bonnie" was coined.

Also Charles Edward Stuart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:52:46 pm »
There's a good cake shop at Glenelg Candles. And there were a couple on Skye too (but sadly it's been a few years since we were last there so I can't guarantee they still exist). I think they should be on the Best Cake Shops map.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #22 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
I think you'll find that the Scots borrowed bon, bonne from the French when the term "bonnie" was coined.

OMG. I'm Scottish and I genuinely never realised where 'bonnie' came from.
Ashet pie (assiette) yes,  minodge (menage) yes.
Vive l' Auld Alliance.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2010, 10:00:21 am »
I've just booked our return tickets. Bit of a disappointment: I couldn't get bargain berths on Fri 16th April, so have booked 2 tickets @ £49 for the Thursday. We've decided to give the Glenelg night a miss because the ferry is weather-dependent.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »
I'm jealous. 

Went to Skye in May 08 with Mrs G and took our bikes. 

"A" roads a wee bit buiser than we expected (but was a bank holiday) but off the beaten track was brilliant.

Definitely visit Raasay and cycle the whole island.  It makes Skye look like a metropolis. 

The road down to Armadale.  Lunch at the Isleornsay Hotel could easily have lasted until chucking oot time. 

Viewfield House B&B in Portree.  Very pleasantly surprised by having the run of a  grand old house when we were resigned to everything being a tourist trap.

Talisker distillery - well why not?

If you're riding from Mallaig to Fort William, the A830 is almost now totally revamped [several hillsides were flattened in the name of progress I'm afraid] and is far more open and exposed eg fast than previously - the quaint stretches with passing places have gone.  However some of the old road remain and are far preferable, not sure if they're officially signposted though.  Also, if your schedule permits take the quiet road on the south side of Loch Eil [which ultimnately heads to Ardgour] and catch the not very well known ferry from Camusnagaul to the heart of Ft William -

Highland Council Camusnagaul Ferry Information

My in laws live in the Fort, feel free to PM me if theres any local knowldge that I can obtain for you.

G