Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3906776 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26375 on: 24 February, 2024, 02:24:38 pm »
50km pootle around the lanes on the Bloo Bike. Got caught out by a bit of rain, as I'd looked at the forecast and decided the threatened shower didn't apply to me. Only slightly damp. Coffee and mincemeat crumble in town, a spot of shopping then home.

The crumble was made by the lovely Jubylee Bakes "special bakes by special people". https://www.jubyleebakes.org.uk/. One of my Young Lady's many many children goes there and makes cakes.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26376 on: 24 February, 2024, 06:12:17 pm »
Just 16km on the Pino to make sure there were no issues that needed sorting before we go away.
Surprised how agile it felt compared with how it was in my (no doubt warped) memory.
No issues, with the bike (other than a requirement for more air in the tyres), but a shocking amount of motonic muppetry.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26377 on: 24 February, 2024, 06:28:51 pm »
Centre for the Cotswolds to Croome Court (National Trust) Cafe. 49.46 miles.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26378 on: 25 February, 2024, 05:08:24 pm »
117k loop, more than somewhat against the wind.  Don't usually ride on Sundays since the patisseries close at lunchtime, but yesterday was wet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26379 on: 25 February, 2024, 06:51:49 pm »
160k club ride, my longest ride in over a year.

Out to Braemar, for sustenance at the cafe attached to the ski touring kit shop.
A cold start, -5 when we set out, and never really got above -3 on the way out. Began to thaw out just as we hit the climbs on the way back, obviously!
I managed to avoid buying Yet Another pair of skis, and strapping them to my back.
Lumpy return route.
Some CoR to avoid a police road closure, whilst they were extracting a car that was parked vertically in a ditch against a tree.

I'm feeling it now!

https://www.strava.com/activities/10835453787

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26380 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:16:25 pm »
Out on the Pino after a late breakfast for what was going to be a short ride but without a route in mind. Ideas crystallised as we rode, heading towards Handcross and the whizzy descent to Staplefield. Stsrted thinking about where to find lunch a bit further along and fixed on the Camelia Botnar garden centre. Google her and her father.
We get there just gone half two. Ooh, ham egg and chips are on the menu. Hurrah. Kitchen closed five minutes aho. Boo
Coffee and a teacake for me, hot chocolate and a fruit scone for my Young Lady. Out into the rain for the last bit home.
60km. All Good.

« Reply #26381 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:24:18 pm »
A circuit of loch katrine on the tandem in glorious scenery today.
Lots of sunshine, lots of snow on the mountains, 65km and 2 cafe stops

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26382 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:32:41 pm »
A circuit of loch katrine on the tandem in glorious scenery today.
Lots of sunshine, lots of snow on the mountains, 65km and 2 cafe stops

So is that circuit now all open?
It's been quite a long time since I tried, but the North track was closed with severe prejudice due to Works, and the loop was not possible.

« Reply #26383 on: 25 February, 2024, 09:02:36 pm »
Yep, its been open for a while now.   Actually mostly decent surface along north side, but from stronachlachar to aberfoyle is attrocious.
We got a great day and sitting at the wee view point at a high point on north side in the sun with our flask was brilliant.  Quite a life affirming ride today after a tough funeral this week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10835150680

« Reply #26384 on: 27 February, 2024, 01:22:35 pm »
About 40km today, including a little bit of off road "footpath" navigating.

Lots of wet mud on the marshes at Fobbing, which was hardly surprising, but I had to keep going to grab a square which although close to home (relatively) had proved elusive until this morning.

I am still only at 17 x 17 which happened without devoting any thought to velo viewer square bashing, but today was the first time where I was riding to get a square towards my next YxY square.

Photos and story - https://www.strava.com/activities/10846848145
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26385 on: 28 February, 2024, 12:26:38 pm »
just under 40km.  a hard run yesterday left the legs tired which combined with the rain starting earlier than forecast lead to a left turn for home, proper bacon and decent coffee!

« Reply #26386 on: 28 February, 2024, 04:08:59 pm »
About 60km today chasing Wandrer points. Managed to get 16 new miles. Virtually all the Wandrer points were gained in side roads so more than 300 waypoints in the route navigation. Quite a feat of endurance just planning it!

Wore out rear pads descending through Coombe Wood (very close to home).

Changed bike for the last 3 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10854973867

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #26387 on: 02 March, 2024, 02:40:26 pm »
Mrs CET needed dropping off at the station at 12:30 and needs picking back up at about 4.30pm, which gives an excuse for watching Strade Bianche, but also meant an early start to get 100km in.  Weather forecast was not promising so I kitted up for rain, but the rain had passed faster and heavier than expected so I set off in light drizzle with clear sky to the west.  Plan was to fill in some squares around Farnham and Alton for my Max Square (which will stay 12 x 12 until the land dries up and I can pick up the gravel-only squares that are leaving annoying holes at the moment - if I tried to ride those at the moment I might end up like the Aune Man.) 

The roads were highly entertaining - running water, potholes, loose gravel - and three river sections where the water came up to the bottom bracket.  Various sections required as much cyclocross as road-riding skills.  I had to give up on one square as SSE had the road from East Worldham to Alton closed to upgrade Bordon's electricity supply.  But I did have a good result on Armsworth Hill, where the end of the public road just gave me the square I wanted.  By the time I got back I had shaken off my cold but the legs felt every bit of the 1370m ascent in the route.  I forget how hilly the Hampshire back roads can be.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #26388 on: 02 March, 2024, 02:45:14 pm »
Out for a couple of hours late morning on the gravel bike. Enough snow had cleared and roads were rideable

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #26389 on: 02 March, 2024, 04:57:28 pm »
A social ride with VC167 "southerners". Basically a ride for those between Oldham and Hull. Five of us met up, and rode uphill in the drizzle through hills of snow to reach the cafe at Langsett outside Sheffield. Quiche, potatoes, cakes, coffee and tea were consumed. Epic adventure stories shared. It was downhill all the way home.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26390 on: 02 March, 2024, 05:19:01 pm »
First ride since doc (blessëd be he!) withdrew the metformin.  Wonderful: legs working much better since half of fuel not staying trapped in gut. Did 123k via a couple of favourite patisseries, motor off much of the time, feeling strong & recovering from climbs much faster.  Probably a euphoria-bred illusion: when I went downstairs just now to get a nibble my legs felt as if someone had been at them with a 4lb hammer.  Still, that can only improve.

I was going to put the motor on my carbon butterfly, but now I'll hold off and do a few unassisted rides; 50k coffee-trot sort of thing.

« Reply #26391 on: 03 March, 2024, 03:51:12 pm »
Did 52k with MrsH. We were doing a longer loop to our new favourite cafe, I'd plotted a 34k ride. When we got to the cafe at about 26k, with 8k home afterwards, she said she thought we were doing 34k to the cafe and 42 overall. So we did an alternative longer route home which gave me chance to bag a couple of veloviewer squares (from places I know I've ridden multiple times, but for some reason not had GPS logs that could be synced to Strava).

Lovely day to be out, bright and dry, though the roads were very wet in places from the rain over the last few days. MrsH was very pleased to have the mudguards I fitted to her bike last night (after thinking she wouldn't need them as the forecast was to be dry and sunny).

« Reply #26392 on: 03 March, 2024, 05:26:10 pm »
Yes. 28 miles I'm late afternoon Spring sunshine. Wild garlic is fragrant, daffs are on their way. Its all good.

Took ages, because I kept stopping and I'm under orders not to exert myself, but it was great to get out and breathe lungfulls of fresh air.

« Reply #26393 on: 03 March, 2024, 05:59:27 pm »
40.02 miles > Notgrove (The Nuttery Cafe). They served a very nice flat-white coffee and a
crispy bacon sandwich. Very hilly (809 metres climbing).

« Reply #26394 on: 03 March, 2024, 08:23:34 pm »
Approx 32 miles out to Windsor Riverside and a short stop at the cafe on boulters lock island look at the weir then onwards through Cookham and over winter hill to Marlow. From Marlow along the b road to lane end and across to the A40  through west and high Wycombe where I stopped for a wimpy. Refueled down to Wooburn green and over the ridge to Burnham beeches and Slough. A lovely sunny ride but I have not done many miles this year so far and I was struggling a bit towards the end. My right knee was quite painful at times as.  Must do more miles   ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #26395 on: 03 March, 2024, 10:49:47 pm »
A 95km loop out to a cafe to meet my wife for a fairly leisurely lunch.  A lovely day with long sunny spells although a definite a nip in the air.  Plenty of flooded roads still around N Essex and Herts. Wet feet and a bike that was truly minging by the time I got back home.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26396 on: 04 March, 2024, 07:45:45 am »
Yes. 28 miles I'm late afternoon Spring sunshine. Wild garlic is fragrant, daffs are on their way. Its all good.

Took ages, because I kept stopping and I'm under orders not to exert myself, but it was great to get out and breathe lungfulls of fresh air.

:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26397 on: 04 March, 2024, 07:16:49 pm »
To Pen's and back. It was much colder than I expected, and I cut her lawn for her. That was quite an effort because February was very wet and also quite warm - every day was a pretty vigorous growing day I think.

Only 8 kilometres, but it's broken my duck for the month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26398 on: 06 March, 2024, 06:51:35 pm »
44 off road miles (including LOTS of hike a bike) in search of some elusive Velo Viewer squares.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10903699436

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26399 on: 06 March, 2024, 09:24:25 pm »
12km loop on the Bendy Bike at lunch. Stayed on tarmac this time, so didn't get oxed up in mud.

Out on the fixer when I got home for what ended up as 33km.  Went quite slow in places as there were patches of fog combined with crap road surfaces and it was dark. Managed to go Quite Fast on a downhill stretch on a good road though. If I could remember what size gear I'm running I could calculate my cadence.