Author Topic: PBP - New start times  (Read 12642 times)

Bairn Again

Re: PBP - New start times
« Reply #25 on: 04 November, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »
I wonder about the impact of the earlier start times. 

I’d expect it to result in some 90hr riders to try and push on beyond their limits to try and reach Brest before sleeping.

For example, starting at 18.00 would mean that Carhaix closes at 5.00am, and many might be reluctant to sleep there as a departure at first light (around 5.30am IIRC) would be outside the time limit.   

The earlier start time also rules out a proper sleep at Corlay (assuming its again going to be a secret control) as riders would have to leave there between 2am and 3am to be sure of making the cut off at Carhaix. 

Not sure if the earlier start time is helpful for 90 hr riders (especially the slower ones) who were the prime casualties last time.

There are some other things to take into consideration.
-The ACP doesn't strictly apply the 15km/h average for the controls. By the time you reach Carhaix the average drops a bit, by the time you reach Brest you allready have 2 hours in hand if you stick to the 15km/h schedule.
-Quite a lot of (French) riders like to sleep early and start before daybreak. For them the 18.00 sharp start would be excellent.
-You can tweak your starting time yourself via some 'creative queing'. Make sure you're not too early to line up and you'll automatically end up starting somehwere halfway the field, maybe at 20h. A nearly ideal time if you plan to sleep in Carhaix and start after daybreak. After all your control times are corrected for your actual starting time.

So you'll have to make your own schedule when you want to sleep, where you want to be for sleeping calculate your ideal starting time on the basis of your usual speed.

Thanks Ivo.  Even before the change of start time, I was planning to be in one of the final waves of riders.  In 2007 I must have been one of the first 50 riders in the underpass but still ended up in the 2nd group of 500 in the 90hr group, lergely due to some very ill disciplined queuing (thats the polite version) in the stadium.  Im not up for that nonsense again. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 05 November, 2010, 10:24:49 am »
For example, starting at 18.00 would mean that Carhaix closes at 5.00am, and many might be reluctant to sleep there as a departure at first light (around 5.30am IIRC) would be outside the time limit.   

I've been practicing leaving sleep stops OOT this season.  Of the four 600s I attempted, I left the sleep stop OOT on three of them, to varying degrees - in one case a whole hour OOT.  Not a problem.

I agree with Simon i.e. it's a good approach (especially in this example as we'll be riding 'ahead' of the overall schedule as far as Brest).

I also agree with YLG; "many might be reluctant to sleep ..." - it does seem to be in the nature of many riders to really panic about leaving stops as they close. I've noticed this at the end of the multi-day rides, where we're all sleep-deprived, but riders would rather be 20mins ahead of the clock than get 20mins more sleep. barking mad in my view, but it's clearly how they like to do things!

But I can't see that the "Carhaix" problem is any worse than in 2007, because people can sleep where they like - I slept at Tinteniac (around 9:30pm) with plenty of others, and about 2 hours to do so.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AndyH

« Reply #27 on: 10 March, 2011, 08:47:37 pm »
From the PBP site

"Sunday, August 21, from 21:00, free starts for a 90 hours time limit (solo bikes)"

anyone think this has any merit ?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »
It's a bit mind boggling and more options leads to more imponderables.

They've all got pros and cons Andy and the last ride had a 90h start around that time.

This worked well for me, not that that means anything.

The good thing is you don't have to make your mind up just yet.

H

« Reply #29 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:19:18 pm »
Its a choice between having an extra 6 hours total time, but paying for it by going straight into an irrecoverable sleep deprivation... or having 6 hours less and having to get a bit of a move on and get at least 360km in during your first 16-18 hours.

I know which I would rather do.  YMMV   ;D

« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »
 Stay at home?  ;)

« Reply #31 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:39:51 pm »
I am not sure that at my speed sleep will be an option at all  ;D

« Reply #32 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:52:00 pm »
C'mon now Feline - you're packing in the miles, got a lurvely Greg mobile - the speed will be there by August I'm sure!

« Reply #33 on: 10 March, 2011, 10:25:17 pm »
C'mon now Feline - you're packing in the miles, got a lurvely Greg mobile - the speed will be there by August I'm sure!

Well I am working on it! I feel like I have plateau'd a bit at the moment. I could keep riding indefintiely on my new steed it's so comfortable, but at a not very fast speed  :D

« Reply #34 on: 10 March, 2011, 10:27:31 pm »

Well I am working on it! I feel like I have plateau'd a bit at the moment. I could keep riding indefintiely on my new steed it's so comfortable, but at a not very fast speed  :D

Start hanging onto faster wheels for as long as you can. Or do training, but this never leaves me with enough time to do proper cycling.

« Reply #35 on: 10 March, 2011, 10:33:43 pm »

Start hanging onto faster wheels for as long as you can. Or do training, but this never leaves me with enough time to do proper cycling.

On today's group ride I was the fast wheel for much of it. The people I ride with seem to think I am getting faster so maybe it's just me that doesn't feel like I am!

« Reply #36 on: 10 March, 2011, 10:47:02 pm »

On today's group ride I was the fast wheel for much of it. The people I ride with seem to think I am getting faster so maybe it's just me that doesn't feel like I am!
You are probably right. they are probably right. I did't really feel like I was getting faster but the time it took me to complete rides did get less.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:01:10 am »
From the PBP site

"Sunday, August 21, from 21:00, free starts for a 90 hours time limit (solo bikes)"

anyone think this has any merit ?
Yes. It has disadvantages, but I reckon it will avoid all the (energy wasting) queueing.

Probably rubbish for the faster riders, as it makes it harder for them to get ahead of the bulge.

Tricky to say - I suspect we need more info about how fast Feline is ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #38 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:34:02 am »
It's probably there somewhere but does anyone know the control open/closed times?

Or is it just a case of moving previous times forward?

Rgds Tom

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #39 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:57:23 am »

Probably rubbish for the faster riders, as it makes it harder for them to get ahead of the bulge.

There is an equivalent 'free start' on the Monday morning for those attempting an 84hr or less PBP.

H

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:28:07 am »
It's probably there somewhere but does anyone know the control open/closed times?

Or is it just a case of moving previous times forward?

They're not publsihed (AFAIK) so I think that's a safe assumption.

(but don't assume it's 13kph* all the way - see discussion here PBP time allowances )

*or whatever the overall is!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------