Author Topic: Need bike buying advice  (Read 2088 times)

steveindenmark

Need bike buying advice
« on: 10 March, 2011, 06:06:23 pm »
Guys I need your help quite urgently.

I am looking to buy a DF bike to compliment my Bacchetta Giro 26.

It is to be used for commuting along country lanes and probably my first ever 200km audax ride.

The choice is down to 2.

The first choice is a TREK LEXA SL with Shimano Tiagra gears, 27 of them.

The Lexa SL is apparently designed for women but fits me very well. I am 52 years old and do not pretend to be Lance Armstrong.  I used to be Tiger Woods until I changed to womens clubs and took 8 off my handicap in a season.

I am a new and not very strong cyclist. The lower gears are of more use to me than the higher gears at the moment and although I live in Denmark, it is not flat. I would describe the area I live in as " Knackeringly rolling".

http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/road/lexasl/

The second choice is a Giant crosser with 18 Shimano Sora gears I think.

As you can guess I am leaning more to the TREK but am not keen on the 700X23 tyres. Would 700X25 be ok for Audax rides. Apparently they will not take the chunky crosser tyres, or so I was told.

Any advice will be gratefully welcomed.

Steve

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Need bike buying advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2011, 06:15:04 pm »
25C tyres are common for Audaxing in the UK.  Personally I prefer a little wider but avoid knobby 'cross' tyres.  I prefer slightly wider Pasela tyres because they roll comfortably and quickly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »
That Lexa looks nice.  It has mudguard eyes in the photo, though whether you could squeeze them in with a 25 tyre is another matter...

« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »
Personally I'd stick with the Bacchetta for a 200km Audax ride...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

steveindenmark

« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »
Wobbly,

The reason I am not happy sticking with the Bacchetta for this ride is I only got it in January and have ridden about 150km on it, mostly in sub zero temps.

It is my first recumbent 2 wheeler and I am still getting used to it`s little ways  ;D

I certainly have not got my recumbent muscles yet and would not finish within the time.

Apart from that I need a road bike so I can ride along with my girlfriend.

Steve

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »
Are you having a gentle leg pull here?
target PBP - no qualifiers in 2010 - only 150kms so far this year - no experience on a recumbent, but I have just bought one, - can you help me buy a road bike - do I need 23cms tyres - below zero in Denmark all this year.

It all has the whiff of a load of old codswallop to me
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2011, 09:11:47 pm »
Are you having a gentle leg pull here?
target PBP - no qualifiers in 2010 - only 150kms so far this year - no experience on a recumbent, but I have just bought one, - can you help me buy a road bike - do I need 23cms tyres - below zero in Denmark all this year.

It all has the whiff of a load of old codswallop to me
[/quote
I agree I have had 2 Giro,s ,you just need more miles on the giro .
Or buy a CA 2.

steveindenmark

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
FigetBuzz, You don`t know what codswallop smells like and I wish it was, but it is all true.  ;D

I am totally new to cycling and am determined to give this audax lark a go.

I have just looked at the 200km route for the 19th March. It appears the route goes very close to my house and so I can bail out at the 50km mark, but I know I can make that. I then get another chance at 150km but I would rather walk the 50km back to the start, rather than stop.

The wind has been howling here for 2 days and I have not seen one bike out on the roads.

So as you can see I do need all the help I can get. Yes it is ice on those posts. It was quite warm that day, about -4, but we have been down to -23 this winter.

Steve

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:31:51 pm »

Steve

You did insist on spending August Bank Holiday in Blackpool.

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:47:45 pm »
The reason I am not happy sticking with the Bacchetta for this ride is I only got it in January and have ridden about 150km on it, mostly in sub zero temps.

It is my first recumbent 2 wheeler and I am still getting used to it`s little ways  ;D

I certainly have not got my recumbent muscles yet and would not finish within the time.

Gerronwivvit man, ride the bloody thing or you'll never get those muscles.  If you're going to start PBP on it then I think you'll learn more from trying (and maybe failing) the 200km on it now than going bike shopping.

Apart from that I need a road bike so I can ride along with my girlfriend.

Separate problem, but as long as you're vaguely as fit as she is, you can ride a giro with uprights in a sociable context.

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
Wobbly,

That's just not enough. With your history and experience you need to grab every chance to get the miles in, like Feline is doing, at 2300kms this year.
If you can't go out you need a turbo trainer or another substitute for being out on the bike.
As long as it's freezing you shouldn't worry too much about speed though, when it stops doing so you'll easily add 3km/h to your speed.

Aim at later qualifiers then, add at least a second 300 to your plans. 300s are later, and therefor usually in more comfortable weather conditions.
If you can hold on to the group at your 200 next week it might work, but I don't see that happening tbh.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...