Author Topic: YACF Ecosse Group Perm - The Border Hills - 12 September - Innerleithen  (Read 8043 times)

Re: YACF Ecosse Group Perm - The Border Hills - 12 September - Innerleithen
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »
Sorry we can't join you, We'll be in Wales look at thousands of ancient VW Campers!

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #26 on: 02 September, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »
I have now entered for pedal for scotland sportive on same day.
See you @ the 3 glens explorer.....

That looks like the dullest bike route in Christendom.  I'm surprised that they didn't just run it up the hardsholder of the M8.  Enjoy ;)

I saw this post and spent 5 minutes trying to think up a snappy come-back to defend my lovely 3 Glens Explorer. Just before posting I realised that the "dullest bike route" was the Pedal for Scotland, not the 3 Glens. :-[

As you were.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #27 on: 02 September, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »

I wouldn't have been so nasty.  I also wouldn't have entered the 3 Glens if it was the dullest bike route in Christendom. :D

That looks like the dullest bike route in Christendom.  I'm surprised that they didn't just run it up the hardsholder of the M8.  Enjoy ;)

I saw this post and spent 5 minutes trying to think up a snappy come-back to defend my lovely 3 Glens Explorer. Just before posting I realised that the "dullest bike route" was the Pedal for Scotland, not the 3 Glens. :-[

As you were.

« Reply #28 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »

As you were.

I suspect it has less to do with the route being dull than the "politics" of it being a sportive.
For me it was a transport decision only

Bairn Again

« Reply #29 on: 02 September, 2010, 09:50:35 pm »

Can I request that the "dullest bike route in christendom" award is held in abeyance until after my Edinburgh - Preston - Edinburgh 600k next May?   ;)

G. 

« Reply #30 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:19:17 pm »

Can I request that the "dullest bike route in christendom" award is held in abeyance until after my Edinburgh - Preston - Edinburgh 600k next May?   ;)

G. 

If Christendom means as I understand - The Christian World - then as it passes significantly through Lanarkshire pedal for scotland would be disqualified on geographical grounds

« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2010, 10:55:34 am »
Looking at the Calendar for September there seems to be a a few gaps, so how about a wee group Perm?  I was thinking that Mr Hogg's Borders Hills 200 (starting in Peebles or Biggar) could make a nice alternative to the usual Saltire.

EDIT:

Based on the responses it looks like the 12th September is the preferred date and Cyclops is suggesting Innerleithen as a starting point, say the usual 200 time of 08:00; although, if anyone wanted to start in Peebles, the Innerleithen group could meet you there at 08:30.

Interested parties are:

Mercurykev
Cyclops
Alanmc
Bodach
Valkyrie
MIA (pending lift)
Bairn Again (pending lift and new knee)
Maverick

Hi Kev, Count me in for Sunday, where are we meeting in Innerleithen ?.
neilmc.

« Reply #32 on: 10 September, 2010, 11:52:37 am »
Hi Kev, Count me in for Sunday, where are we meeting in Innerleithen ?.
neilmc.

I don't think we've decided where we're meeting yet so I propose Hall Street which is where I normally park. There's plenty on street parking plus a wee car park opposite the fire station.

You'll probably have to use the Bank of Scotland along the other end of the High Street for a receipt as IIRC receipts from the ATM at the Co-op don't have the place on it
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #33 on: 10 September, 2010, 12:10:05 pm »
I was thinking that the Bank of Scotland cash machine to get the initial receipt and Cyclops suggestion of Hall St for parking seems like a good one.  The starters list is:

Mercurykev
Cyclops
Alanmc
Bodach
Valkyrie
neilmc

See you Sunday - metcheck is suggesting that we might even get some half decent weather.

« Reply #34 on: 10 September, 2010, 01:39:47 pm »
That answers a question I was about to ask  ;D

See you Sunday.

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #35 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »
Given MercuryKev's wife's suspicions about his so-called "audaxing", a hobby involving meeting lycra clad men in public toilets, are we meeting outside the public toilets in Hall St or inside???

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #36 on: 11 September, 2010, 10:01:41 pm »
Given MercuryKev's wife's suspicions about his so-called "audaxing", a hobby involving meeting lycra clad men in public toilets, are we meeting outside the public toilets in Hall St or inside???

At this time of year I like to go al fresco, use the weather while you've got it; so we should meet outside.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #37 on: 12 September, 2010, 09:26:33 pm »
What a fun day out.  We had good weather - a bit of a breeze but lots of sun - and the route was excellent.  We even got a Lancaster Bomber fly over just south of Moffat.

PS the ice cream at the Langholm Cafes was excellent.

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #38 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:30:49 pm »
I'm sitting in an office in Kilmarnock, with the wind howling round the building and the rain hammering on the windows. Was it really just yesterday that we had a lovely ride around the Borders?

Looking back, I think that yesterday's audax was one of the most enjoyable of the year - good company, good weather and an excellent route that I hadn't done before. Having six riders out together was good too, it meant that there was plenty conversation and even when we split up a wee bit it was always easy to regroup.

Good to see Ian Jackson at Cardrona - hanging about at the side of the road just to stamp the cards of any passing cyclists. Does he do that every weekend?

Ian - you'll be pleased to hear that the stamp on Martin's forehead was still clearly visible 10 hours later!

Top marks to Martin for suggesting the Innerleithen start - got the main road out of the way early in the morning and gave a very relaxing downhill finish.

Billy Weir

« Reply #39 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:15:20 pm »
Quick question - I can't see the Border Hills or Innes's other perms in the listings any more?

Have they been discontinued (I was thinking of doing one of them in the summer, when I pop up north to visit the family and sneak out for a couple of bike rides).

Bairn Again

« Reply #40 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:28:03 pm »
Quick question - I can't see the Border Hills or Innes's other perms in the listings any more?

Have they been discontinued (I was thinking of doing one of them in the summer, when I pop up north to visit the family and sneak out for a couple of bike rides).

Billy - I noticed that and meant to ask Innes when he was helping at Ian Jacksons 200 a few weeks ago.  I've got quite a few cards for his events (a job lot inherited from Hibernian Exile when he moved back to Ireland a couple of years ago) and I'm not sure what the story is (Im hoping they are just missing from the calendar rather than been withdrawn).

And I forgot to ask.  Useless huh?   He's an occasional visitor here though...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #41 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:38:56 pm »
Innes has indeed withdrawn his perms. He told me there should be an announcement in the current Arrivée but I haven't found it after a quick scan.

Billy (and anyone else), I can give you some ready-made DIY routes for Scotland, not all of which go to Comrie.  :P
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #42 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:52:06 pm »
That is a shame  - I've still got a Borders Hills card in my drawer and I was hoping to ride it again this year.  On a more serious front what will Scottish RRTY riders do for a winter 200 if down to longtown is no more?

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #43 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »
I PM'd Innes about this a few weeks ago. He's having a break from all forms of cycling ('cos of his knee) and stopped the perms. But he said he'd process any cards anyone had already got. It'll be DIYs down to Longtown from now on!

Billy Weir

« Reply #44 on: 08 February, 2011, 07:29:04 am »
That's a pity, as both Border Hills and Down to Longtown were on my "to do" list.  Both got good word of mouth from people who's opinion I trust.  Don't know why, but the thought of doing them as a DIY doesn't appeal (the fun of those is coming up with your own route).

« Reply #45 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:01:03 am »
It is indeed a shame.  I did Border Hills a few years ago in the company of Innes, Ian Jackson and a couple of others, and a most enjoyable ride it was.

There's no reason not to do it as a DIY, Billy, as all that changes is the method of registration.  I can probably dig out the routesheet if it helps.

« Reply #46 on: 08 February, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »
Yes, it's true, I have withdrawn my permanents (well, for the time being at least).  There was no one specific reason for doing so, I just fancied a break from doing them and a break too from the petty annoyances that go with the job.  This coincided with me trying to take a sort of self imposed break from cycling while I got my knee sorted out.  And thanks for the kind words ^^^.

For anyone in possession of a card (or cards) I will still send them for validation, or will refund if you mail them back to me, but I have no more cards to issue.

I have had offers from others to take over my routes (eh, I don't own the roads  :P ;D) so they may reappear in the near future.  As will I.  :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #47 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:27:58 pm »
  As will I.  :thumbsup:

I certainly hope so and hope the knees sort themselves out.  I know how much of a pain (literally) that they can be.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #48 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »
Aye, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.  :thumbsup:
You were starting to fly over the past couple of years. Git!  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #49 on: 08 February, 2011, 10:28:05 pm »
Best wishes, Innes  :) Hope to see you out & about in the not too distant future.