Author Topic: East & West Coasts, or 3 coasts?  (Read 5788 times)

Re: East & West Coasts, or 3 coasts?
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2016, 11:44:16 am »
I've toyed with DNSing this due to some hip flexor pain  >:(  - but instead I'm just resting and will rock-up & see how it goes  :thumbsup: 

If nothing else, my target is to have an icecream on the east coast - hopefully it wont be very nice, that way I can entice myself to have a better one on the west coast :)

« Reply #26 on: 20 July, 2016, 01:03:22 pm »
This ride can provide tandem trike partners ......

Ps - the borrowed bike the LWaB mentioned was the beloved Pantani. He sulked for a good year after this ride mainly due to his overseas rider outing his bars rampent!

« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2016, 01:39:43 pm »
Whilst out on my ride today, I thought of some points that new riders may want to consider.

1. Blackpool as we know is a big place, when you get to the checkpoint  there is an opportunity to get some chips. ice cream and use the toilets, but if you are on your own and unlucky that no one else is at the checkpoint and a bit worried about leaving your bike as there will be lots of people about, ensure that you have a nature break just before you get into Blackpool, food is not a problem but riding with your legs crossed is.

2. I always get to Blackpool and Glasson dock between 1130 to 1300, so its natural to grab some lunch in that area, I had never heard of Glasson Dock till I visited it on my first EW coast, I discovered that it is the place where everyone in a 200 mile radius flocks too when the sun is out, despite there is nothing there, hence it was a nightmare to get some food the first time I passed through and gave up, just getting water and an ice cream was bad enough. The second two times it was cooler and not so much a problem to get a cooked meal and water.

3A. Based on the points 1 and 2 and unlucky to get something in the center of Blackpool and unsure if you will get anything at Glasson Dock, plan ahead, as you are leaving Blackpool, there are 2 or 3 mini supermarkets and other shops etc enroute through Blackpool on the main drag in a quieter safer area to the left where you can grab something to eat for then and later and get water.

3B. Bridlington cafe checkpoint can be the same, busy, big queue at the till and long wait for food, It has a garden at the back to leave your bike and also a stand pipe for water. If its busy, I grab (buy) a can of drink, get my card stamped and ride across to the chippie almost opposite to save time.

4. After Glasson Dock, if I recall it is a long way before you get a chance to get water and food. Probably Whalley about 20+ miles further on

5. Beware of the tram lines in Blackpool whilst dodging pedestrians. No time for laying down in the road sunbathing if you get stuck between them.

6, On the first day, if you want something to eat at Pocklington, shortly after there is a long long steady climb, steepish at first but not excessive. Just thinking about my bike really, gave it its first wash in months and do not want to splash it with some ones chunder from excessing too much in bacon, egg, chips, black pudding, sausages, beans etc

7. Thought of a few other things but cannot remember them now.

8. At Whalley, last year everything was shut, but in George Street, which you almost pass, there is a Spar shop which will be open. Also there is public toilets too which you will pass. (Just noticed that the Spar shop is mentioned on the route card)

9. At Todmorden, on the return leg, based on the last three years, the decent is awful with the road very pot holed, I find it best to ride wide and stop cars overtaking me, once you get them alongside you and there bumper to bumper, your choice of navigation through the pot holes is very limited, and keep your speed down.

10. Also at the bottom of the decent into Todmorden and your on the 3 coasts, blank it out from your mind that by turning left instead of straight on and right, you could soon be back to the finish. It can be demoralising to turn right knowing you will be doing extra miles and a big steady climb, but on the bright side, about the last 8 miles aprox I think are down hill and just coast into the HQ at the bottom..

11. Heading towards Blackpool, eventually you will see the tower, but be careful as there is two and you rarely see them both at the same time , a silver one and a red one, head for the red one if your a bit lost. the silver one is at the South side at a fun park, I made that mistake the first time I did this ride. But be careful, they might have painted them to confuse us

12. Stumped again

12. For those on the 3 coasts, from and after Glasson Dock, watch out for the riders doing the suitably named "Good Companions". They will be on the same route and checkpoints back to the finish and they will be some company to ride with to the finish. If it's Holly and the rest of the "Halifax Imps" the topic will no doubt be about "murdering a pint" and I would not be surprised in this heat if a pub stop does not beckon.

Phil W

« Reply #28 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:44:08 pm »
Isn't it Glasson Dock unless you're on a really big diversion?

« Reply #29 on: 21 July, 2016, 05:05:36 pm »
Thanks. Yes your right Phil, Peter has already corrected me in an earlier posting....................and I still get it wrong. I'll correct my last posting. No wonder ride always takes me so long.

« Reply #30 on: 23 July, 2016, 09:29:11 am »
Looking like they have pretty damn good weather on the Saturday (unlike last year) but are likely to get a bit of a soaking at some point on Sunday (just like last year)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #31 on: 23 July, 2016, 02:00:39 pm »
"Team lantern rouge" have made it to Bridlington.  We went past one abandon with gear issues.  Nice day out so far :)

« Reply #32 on: 23 July, 2016, 03:39:32 pm »
It was me who had gear problems after leaving Castleford going up towards Ledston and Ledsham, the free hub lost all engagement after coming to a stop at a T junction and I ended up sprawled in the road when I attempted to get going again! No damage to myself and back home already courtesy of the train. Many thanks to all the passing cyclists who asked if I was OK, injured pride only. A real shame because I was really enjoying the ride and the weather was perfect.
Good luck to everyone on the ride and maybe next year I will complete it.

« Reply #33 on: 24 July, 2016, 12:45:27 am »
I saw a few riders taking part en route to/from Filey;

2 riders near Fridaythorpe/Fimber - I was with my 12 year old who decided he didn't like getting passed so tried to keep up. At least he could for a bit.
4 at the control in Castleford

Hope it went well for those taking part - I'm still recovering from injury so wasn't riding it.

« Reply #34 on: 24 July, 2016, 03:34:25 am »
I'm out.  Made it back to the start, but going no further.

Nice day out, but I've had enough of the heat and hills.

Currently getting lots of TLC from the helpers - nice food, thanks!

« Reply #35 on: 24 July, 2016, 08:23:52 am »
It was me who had gear problems after leaving Castleford going up towards Ledston and Ledsham, the free hub lost all engagement after coming to a stop at a T junction and I ended up sprawled in the road when I attempted to get going again! No damage to myself and back home already courtesy of the train. Many thanks to all the passing cyclists who asked if I was OK, injured pride only. A real shame because I was really enjoying the ride and the weather was perfect.
Good luck to everyone on the ride and maybe next year I will complete it.

Unlucky John, glad you were ok though.  I was the guy in the LEL top, we kept yo-yo-ing due to navigational issues :)

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #36 on: 25 July, 2016, 11:28:10 am »
It was good to revisit Yorkshire region again, met familiar faces, Nigel L., Les B., Mel K. Had decent stop at Bridlington with chips, two sausages, beans & mug of coffee all for £4. What full value food for full value plodder! Found a decent wheel to follow from Malton and arrived back to base at 2.30 am after 375 km. Left control at 5.45am with tough second day ride to Blackpool over Pennines twice to finish back to base at 7.30 pm for east and west coasts option. Sunday was generally wet with steady showers on and off.  Quite suprised the weather didn't deter so many local cyclists. I under estimated how tough approx 4400m of climbing can be for 600k event. It did'nt sound a lot on paper. Found comfortable leather pub style sofa to sleep before, during and after event.  Many thanks to Chris and his team of helpers for good venue, route, and food. Thanks also to Julian D. From VC167 for towing me around for good third of ride. Very much tempted to return for 400km in August.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #37 on: 25 July, 2016, 01:08:17 pm »
DNF'd the E & W Coast last year.  Came back.  Put things right.  Got round the 3 Coasts.

Saturday was hot.  Sunday's rain was welcome.

Glasson Dock to Whalley was a lovely leg.  Into & out of Padiham was traffic-y.  Climb to finish tip-top.

Enormous thank you to Chris & the Team.  I feel very well looked after.

« Reply #38 on: 25 July, 2016, 02:54:13 pm »
Enjoyed my first 600km and completing my SR.  I started my Audax adventure in Oct 2015 and the whole 2 days was an example of how great Audaxing is.  For example on day 2 I started with 3 other guys and we decided to ride together for the rest of the day.   We had a very enjoyable day.  At the end the shared congratulations and comradery of all who took part in either the 600 or the 200 was great.  No egos to be seen anywhere.
Thanks to Chris and all his helpers

« Reply #39 on: 25 July, 2016, 02:56:16 pm »
Heather aka Lady Cavendish I hope you have come down from your caffeine induced high.

« Reply #40 on: 26 July, 2016, 09:23:50 am »
Hahaha!! Funnily enough, I really didn't sleep very well on Sunday night  ;) ;) ;D ;D

What a bl**dy great weekend that was. I've done 2 x 600 before and been completely rubbish at both of them. This one was just fantastic.

Great route, lovely weather on Saturday, could have been much worse on Sunday. Completely new places to me, never had a clue where we were, it was great.

Very lucky for me to meet Chris so early on in the ride, must have been in the first 10 miles, we just seemed to ride exactly the same, and meant that I had great company/entertainment the whole way round (you'd never have guessed it was his first 600!) Not only did I have a brilliant riding partner, I also got a fantastic Star Wars bed to sleep in rather than the community centre, which was a very unexpected treat I hadn't counted on happening!

Great ride over to Bridlington on the Saturday, has no one mentioned the prices in that café yet? Welcome to 1963. Fried egg roll, chips and a diet coke, £3.20. And they were good too. Really pretty ride across the Wolds back to Thirsk or wherever we went as well. Although on Sat, I'm sure we had a headwind for at least 350 of the 375k. Every time we changed direction we were into it. No sense at all. But even when it got dark, my toys were all still in the pram, it just wasn't really a struggle. I was enjoying it. And hanging out at petrol stations drinking Costa is just the best thing on a Sat night isn't it?!

Back about midnight for a good sleep (well, I never sleep well on these things, but a lie down at least. In a BED. Have I mentioned the real BED and SHOWER?!  ;D ) Over to the community centre for a good breakfast and new clothes. I did find the next 50k the hardest of the ride, bit tough to get going and the bit to Longridge I found hard going up those hills so we had an extra stop at a petrol station for some coke and pretty much half a packet of pro plus. Funnily enough, the world all seemed a bit better after that ;)

I was fine from then onwards. I did have concerns about THAT hill I realised we'd have to go back up- the one that was pretty much Mont Ventoux around Burnley. But they were top chips on the pier at Blackpool in the rain. And good ice cream at Glasson Dock when solid food had all become overwhelming.

Such a lovely group of people on this ride, it was a first 600 for quite a few, so really well done everyone. By far the best I've handled one, maybe I'm not quite as crap at them now. Although I still feel a bit ruined, I was fine really. We all were :) Organisation was fantastic, I felt really looked after, so thanks lots to Chris and crew- the food was really really good, and that rice pudding was something else. Never had any like it. 10 Michelin stars for the rice pudding.

Lovely to meet you all, I'll definitely go up for another ride up there, I had such a great time. The company made the weekend for sure, but the route was brilliant.

I had a big breakfast in Halifax, and then even made it to work on Mon for lunchtime. Rode this morning and my legs seem to still work so all good :)

Lots of love from me xxx

« Reply #41 on: 26 July, 2016, 10:07:42 am »
Thanks to Chris and his helpers for once again putting on an excellent ride, it lived up to its expectations once again of misery and suffering, its just a pity I never learn from the last time and forget how hilly it is.

Great to meet all the other riders to from around the country, some for the first time, and some once again,  Ed from London. Raymond, Chris from Sowerby Bridge, rider from Stirling who I rode 3/4ters of the way with, sorry forgot your name, Mike from Bristol again and appologies now as everything else slipped my mind.

Are you the Heather, that on Sunday evening vowed to never venture forth on such a ride again and now have had a complete reversal, I said you would. Hope you washed your legs to go to work because what amazed me was, cyclists normally only manage to get "the badge of honor", the chain ring tattoo on your right leg, but somehow you managed one on both legs. Surly you was not that tired at some point you got on your bike backwards?

Also a big thanks to the "Good Companion" from VC167, sorry never got your name but I would have forgot it anyway, riding "The Good Companions" whom I met up with just before the "DOCK" and rode with all the way back to the finish. To me its a well thought out plan to have a shorter ride, designed to meet up with riders from a longer ride and provide company and support to the finish. Well done for Chris on this.

« Reply #42 on: 26 July, 2016, 10:14:24 am »
I think you'll find I said, I wouldn't do 'THAT' ride again ;) And I stand by it, at least for 10 years as I don't want to do the same ones twice. I will only ever repeat 4 and 600s when I run out of things to do!!!!!!! :)

I always have those chain tattoos. I don't understand where they come from. It's impossible.

« Reply #43 on: 28 July, 2016, 03:56:22 pm »

As this was my first 600 I did not know what to expect over the weekend.  All I can say is what a great event it was and what great riders and helpers there was throughout the weekend.  A special mention goes out to Heather who rode at exactly the pace I wanted to ride at (Apart from the first 100km were we raced each other a bit :facepalm:)???  It was great to have somebody to pull me along when the going got tough and the thought of giving up crossed my mind a few times especially at Whalley (I was like a Zombie at this point and really did not know what I was doing there).  I did carry on and made the right hand turn at Todmorden to go to Hollingworth Lake and then the last climb up over the Whitehouses to the top of Cragg Vale, the longest decent in England and I hated every last KM of it lol.  A big shout out to Nigel who I always bump into on every ride I do and must say his knowledge of everything good and not so good is endless :-))))

Thanks to Chris for organising this great event and I can not wait to do one of the 400s next Month!

Chris

« Reply #44 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:11:27 am »
The "Three Coasts" was my first 600, and very enjoyable it was too. Particular thanks to Malcolm of Newport and Rob of Portsmouth for generous tows along the way, and of course to Chris the organiser and all his helpers (I particularly appreciate the table of nibbles at the Hollingworth Lake control).

I've written a rather lengthy blog posting about my experience:
http://blog.ctc-cambridge.org.uk/2016/07/2324-jul-three-coasts-600km-audax.html
which I hope encourages other newcomers to try it next year

Nigel D