Author Topic: Got any plans for 2015 ?  (Read 12019 times)

Re: Got any plans for 2015 ?
« Reply #25 on: 04 December, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »
-   Bike-centred cottage hols with Mrs TB, maybe in Northumberland, then Orkney or Hebrides
-   Lone tour of Denmark
-   Recce SE Norfolk for possible future cottage hols[/li][/list]
-   Catalunya by EBE

« Reply #26 on: 04 December, 2014, 06:07:26 pm »
I might try to get to the York rally this year . I like the idea of riding at least one way and getting back to London be train with the trike .other than that I will see what yacf camping weekends are within reach  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 04 December, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
We have a late May jaunt to the Montelimar region planned, and hope to join Auntie Helen et al on the Rheinfest.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:15:29 pm »
plans for 2015 are generally to cycle some more... but to be more specific:

a) get a sexy new road bike in Jan ish
b) do Pembroke Sportive in April
c) maybe another week in Majorca in early May
d) do Bruno200 in late May (Chatsworth House to Ampleforth College in 2 days, stopping at Aysgarth)
e) maybe do a few days in South of France with some friends in June/July
f) contemplating the RatRace London to Edinburgh thing over 4 days in august i think

after that I don't really know!

« Reply #29 on: 08 December, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »
Plan A is:
- attend the Cycle Touring Festival in Clithroe (2-3 May) and then to cycle to Inverness via Iona and the Great Glen.
- in June fly to Prague, cycle down the Elbe to Cuxhaven. If the proposed new ferry from Esbjerg materialises then I shall cycle into Denmark, otherwise I shall come home via the Hook of Holland.

There is no Plan B!

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #30 on: 08 December, 2014, 08:28:28 pm »
Some are intentions rather than planned escapades:

- Holland. Never cycled abroad before! Possibly Utrecht in mind. Ferries are about 8 miles from here.
- York rally. Camping booked. See you there? A day's ride so no train to fangle the trike onto.
- Dorset. I fancy a longer venture south, so possibly ride there; it may take a while.
- Mildenhall.

« Reply #31 on: 11 December, 2014, 10:53:01 am »
Just hoping I can get back to riding a bike again before summer.  :(

me too  :(  ...  planning a JOGLE  aug-sept time

« Reply #32 on: 11 December, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
Two days riding and a night at a Yorkshire pub in May with some chaps from work - we all have bairns now, so it'll be Thursday and Friday! They've put me on notice that they don't like COR.

Etape du Yorkshire Premier Anniversaire - entry in

I fancy a crack at the 4 routes up Ventoux (3 roads and a track by all accounts) early summer doors as well - planning on a  family trip to Provence and to take the bike;)

Hopefully some other riding to make sure these are these fun and happen.

I quite fancy an Arrow, but not sure if I'll be up to 400km in 24 hours by Easter, plus York's only 22 miles east of here. Needs a great big loop.

And anything else that takes my fancy along the way. I've been given an A S Gillott that would be perfect for Eroica Britannia, but need to decide how much work it needs before riding it a long way.

And a 1 day Way of the Roses - date tbc - plus a week in either Nortth Uist or Harris, not bike specific, but I love cycling the west coasts on a wild and woolly day

Plus, the youngest wants to go to Scilly, which by all accounts wil require a bike for transport

« Reply #33 on: 11 December, 2014, 04:56:25 pm »

Scottish islands, dun run, whatever we can squeeze in from the rides and touring board.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #34 on: 11 December, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »
Blimey, WJ, I didn't realise you were crocked as well. What happened?

As yet undiagnosed abominable abdominal pain - mostly when I do anything physical.  :-[

I'm pretty certain I know what it is, and when the doctor decides it ain't going to fix it's-self, it won't be a quick-fix.  :(
GWS, I know what you mean, its been two years now for me. I too hope to be back on the bike in earnest in 2015.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #35 on: 12 December, 2014, 01:00:57 pm »
Well, I did propose that Mrs SC and I might make a short cycle tour in 2015 (nothing challenging - a multi-day Way of the Roses or perhaps the Hadrian's Cycleway). The sole response I received was "In your dreams!".

So I'm now dreaming of a mini-tour in 2015... Apart from that I have no plans for next year.

I do however, have cycle related plans for 2016. I've already booked my accommodation with daughter-in-law (i.e. the floor) for the Track World Championships in London - Feb 24th to 28th 2016. All I need to do now is to start saving for tickets cos they'll be expensive, and watch out for ticket release dates.

« Reply #36 on: 12 December, 2014, 02:15:36 pm »
Mostly getting the PBP thing done and out the way to be honest.  I have fallen into the trap of believing I have to do it at least once.  So there are all the 'qualifiers' and the ride itself using up a fair chunk of my leave. 

Looking forward to the Beast from the East, KSW the following weekend and then Mr Blacksheeps 600 a few weeks after that.  It'll be a tough few weeks but will be the highlight of the summer no doubt.

Will also hope to get a big Cambrian ride in after PBP before the bad weather returns, but annual leave is in very short supply with PBP so I can't tie myself to much else this year. 

I have various mountain biking things lined up although even the big one of that (Strathpuffer) has fallen by the wayside as entries sold out in 2 mins and, as it took me 8 whole minutes to fill in the form, I am way down the waiting list.  But hey ho, it has meant some proper 'downtime' from structured training over the last month or so which was much needed.  And has stopped me spending money on a 29er I can't really afford right now.

2016 will be a much more exciting year for me with tentative plans for a LEJOG attempt and some big x-rated DIYs plus an MTB+bivvy tour along a coastline somewhere in Scotland.
Does not play well with others

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 13 December, 2014, 01:52:12 am »
I fancy something Scottish (who doesn't?) but I think my favourite times of year have been spoken for with foreign trips. I have never been to Orkney, and that appeals, possibly in latersummer, July/August. I doubt that Mrs. Wow would accompany me.

« Reply #38 on: 13 December, 2014, 10:24:47 am »
I too have never visited Orkney, so I would be up for that trip if you fancy some company.
What are your plans for the Spezi tour with AH?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 13 December, 2014, 06:38:22 pm »
At the moment, intending to go with Mrs. Wow. If Mrs. Wow does come, I doubt very much that we will camp. It would be easier to come on solo machines, but a tandem would be more in keeping with the event. When Auntie Helen revisits the thread next month we'll nail our colours to the mast-head.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #40 on: 14 December, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »
I would really like to get a long week end or week in Normandy. Conversations were had last summer.

I remember such a conversation and expressed an interest. Unfortunately my interest may be scuppered by supporting my offspring's sporting ambitions in the Antipodes and a consequent lack of funds and annual leave. Pesky kids.

« Reply #41 on: 14 December, 2014, 06:07:31 pm »
getting some rides over in Normandy & Brittany in the early summer as a warm up for the PBP

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #42 on: 14 December, 2014, 07:44:50 pm »
I'm not sure I'd call it a "plan" yet, but there are some rough stopping points for a leisurely tour from Wiltshire down to Penzance (spread over a week or so) then getting the sleeper train home. Rough stopping points seem to be

Swindon
Weston-super-Mare (108km)
Minehead (80km)
Woolacombe (61km)
Bude (77km)
Newquay (88km)
Penzance (62km)

Decisions still abound over when, although May is probably the most likely time, and whether to travel light and stick to B&Bs or to haul a tent and camp. Most likely, the B&B option will win.

« Reply #43 on: 14 December, 2014, 08:02:11 pm »
Dibdib, does that sort out the gap in your Strava heat map too? If not, could you tidy that up too, please  :-*

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #44 on: 14 December, 2014, 08:22:12 pm »
After all the health and medical problems I reckon I've cycled less miles in 2 years than I would normally have managed in a month or so!
I have a lot of, fairly easy, targets for 2015. The general aim is ti get back to doing it and ENJOY it as I used to. I will be doing a few days camping at the National Trust "Low Wray" campsite on the edge of lake Windermere as it has a lot of good day rides from there, a lot of decent Pubs and cafe stops in the area and some beautiful countryside. The site warden is open to group bookings so if anybody else fancies it let me know. Best timing for me would be the middle of April 2015. The site is on the road between Ambleside and Hawkshead, home of TEH HAWKSHEAD BROORY!

April is the driest month of the year (at least out here on the coast) so that sounds good. I'm likely to be touring further north at that time, but I'll keep an eye out if things start getting organised :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #45 on: 14 December, 2014, 08:32:07 pm »
There was talk yesterday of a camping weekend taking in some of the route of the Tour of Yorkshire, the same weekend.  The route's still TBC though.
Milk please, no sugar.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #46 on: 14 December, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »
Dibdib, does that sort out the gap in your Strava heat map too? If not, could you tidy that up too, please  :-*

No, I'm afraid it doesn't, as the gap is in the other direction from home - just outside Oxford. Although fixing that is also on the list for 2015 :D

« Reply #47 on: 14 December, 2014, 10:05:23 pm »
Good stuff  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 15 December, 2014, 05:44:05 am »
At risk of going OT, what is a "gap in a Strava heat map"? I'm aware that Strava is a ride recording tool, but not what a gap in a heat map is, and if one has one, why it should matter.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #49 on: 15 December, 2014, 09:07:11 am »
At risk of going OT, what is a "gap in a Strava heat map"? I'm aware that Strava is a ride recording tool, but not what a gap in a heat map is, and if one has one, why it should matter.

Strava can colour in all the roads you've cycled down, based on the GPS tracks you upload to it. Mine from the last couple of years can trace a solid line all the way from Cardiff to Southend[1], except for a 5mi gap just outside Oxford. My completionist tendencies are twitching, and I want to fill in the gap.

[1] Based on a Cardiff-based Audax, a ride from Swindon up to my mum's house in Worcester, a bunch of local rides and Populaires, Rogerzilla's Oxford-to-London ride and a Southend FNRttC.