Author Topic: Lines on maps and your completionist tendencies  (Read 11180 times)

Lines on maps and your completionist tendencies
« on: 15 December, 2014, 09:34:42 am »
Prompted by Dibdib's twitching completionist tendencies - which, I have to say, I also seem to be prone to - what obvious gaps are there in your cumulative GPX tracks that are calling out to be filled in?

Feeding my last couple of years' Strava tracks into http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php strongly suggests I should be planning either a Tewkesbury to Bristol Channel or a Banbury to Stockbridge to join up some coasts.

How about you?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Your GPX track gaps and completionist tendencies
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2014, 09:40:40 am »
I think my geography O level tendencies demand that you complete the Exe/Tees line, Nikki.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2014, 11:26:04 am »
I too was
Prompted by Dibdib's twitching completionist tendencies
but although I don't (much) use GPX, I can draw some routes ridden on a map!

Thanks to DibDib, ive realised I can join Anglesey-to-Southend (via Chepstow). So that's nice.
However ... I have also ridden about 900 miles Durness -to- Ventor,Isle-of-Wight. APART FROM 7 feckin miles across Edinburgh.
It would look a bit like this:
http://goo.gl/maps/S9ufb

.. if it wasn't for those s e v e n miles between Dalkeith and Edinburgh station ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2014, 12:25:29 pm »
(I love stuff like this BTW - I do look at heatmaps and think "where can I fill some gaps?")

http://www.strava.com/athletes/990191/heatmaps/1a65cfb6#6/55.23920/-2.96082

I can get from Penzance to about Banchory - if I could just link up the Mille Alba 1000 and the HGWI 1300, I'd be up to Durness as well.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2014, 12:26:02 pm »
.. if it wasn't for those s e v e n miles between Dalkeith and Edinburgh station ...

Summer 2015 touring plans sorted then!
Right! What's next?

Re: Lines on maps and your completionist tendencies
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2014, 12:41:03 pm »
Heh! I was trying to make it more platform agnostic by not mentioning Strava in the thread title, but I see we need something more technology agnostic. Thread re-named accordingly.

I think my geography O level tendencies demand that you complete the Exe/Tees line, Nikki.

Yes, that option was begging to be heard as I tried to name an end point for that line. It's got to go all the way down to the south coast, hasn't it </resigned voice>

I have also ridden about 900 miles Durness -to- Ventor,Isle-of-Wight. APART FROM 7 feckin miles across Edinburgh.
It would look a bit like this:
http://goo.gl/maps/S9ufb

Nice not-quite-a-line-yet. ARGH!

(I love stuff like this BTW - I do look at heatmaps and think "where can I fill some gaps?")

http://www.strava.com/athletes/990191/heatmaps/1a65cfb6#6/55.23920/-2.96082

I can get from Penzance to about Banchory - if I could just link up the Mille Alba 1000 and the HGWI 1300, I'd be up to Durness as well.

No shortage of lines there! I feel you also need some cross-wise action: maybe Pembroke to Scarborough or something (although I suspect you'd happily tackle that in one go!)

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2014, 12:44:41 pm »
Mine's rubbish: http://www.strava.com/athletes/2224010/heatmaps/17419c17#6/55.87531/-4.39453

I seem to just ride the same roads over and over... ::-)

Edit: I clearly need to do a Glasgow-Carlisle ride. And Carlisle-Penrith.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2014, 12:47:51 pm »
I don't go far, normally, and I don't have a heat map, but I've been over most within about thirty miles of home.  Sometimes I find a new one.  Sometimes it's just failing memory.  :-\
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:32:50 pm »
Here's my 2014 map:

Some obvious lines that need connecting, some of which would be connected (Brum-Oxford, Stoke-Manchester) if I bothered to upload previous years' data into Strava.

I think I need to ride to Bristol.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:38:16 pm »
Of course all our gaps are just signs of weakness - before the steam engine came along we would have just ridden to every segment.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:43:44 pm »
I should be planning either a Tewkesbury to Bristol Channel
I think I need to ride to Bristol.
You're both right!  :D

I shall be ignoring this thread, as I don't want any excuses to buy a GPS.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:52:58 pm »
Of course all our gaps are just signs of weakness - before the steam engine came along we would have just ridden to every segment.

Or, more likely, we'd just have ridden closer to home.  They're signs of opportunity.

« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2014, 02:09:23 pm »

There are still a few roads I've yet to colour in around Solihull and Wythall, although I might give the M42 and M40 a miss...

Riding to Bristol's been discussed a few times, even to the extent that I did a recce drive back along the A38. Don't fancy that much.  >:(
Kim, presumably that would then link up with an Exmouth Exodus and you get a Wowbagger-pleasing composite line?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2014, 02:19:32 pm »

There are still a few roads I've yet to colour in around Solihull and Wythall, although I might give the M42 and M40 a miss...

Wow, even accounting for my westward bias, you have far more patience for this part of the world than I do.  In the absence of a plan, I tend to just ride the same roads over and over.

Riding to Bristol's been discussed a few times, even to the extent that I did a recce drive back along the A38. Don't fancy that much.  >:(
Kim, presumably that would then link up with an Exmouth Exodus and you get a Wowbagger-pleasing composite line?

Indeed it would.  There's also a load of stuff I've ridden to the north-east (Peak District, and obviously the York area) that doesn't appear on this year's map, much of which ought to join up in a pleasing way.

« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »
Wow, even accounting for my westward bias, you have far more patience for this part of the world than I do.

'tis the combined effects of Cycle Solihull and rarely being able to afford the steam engine to more exotic parts.
There're some nice lanes out that way - wish I could better remember which were which!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2014, 02:57:43 pm »
Yeah, I should probably do more Cycle Solihull rides.  It's the 10km of what can only be described as 'hilly Birmingham' between here and the usual start/end points that puts me off.

« Reply #16 on: 15 December, 2014, 05:11:45 pm »
I'm a recent adopter of GPS - only within the last couple of years - so there are loads of gaps, but I think they all would join up in my cycling history.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1161007/heatmaps/6da33263#8/54.74048/-1.57104

BTW, nikki, I think you've broken the website you linked to..

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2014, 06:03:03 pm »
Ooh, I do like what I'm seeing.
No.  Basil.  You do not want GPS thingies.  :hand:
And strava?  Why would I want to know that I'm the 546th slowest up primrose hill.  (I assume that what it does, right?)

Still, I do like those tracks. Oh bugger.   :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 15 December, 2014, 06:21:46 pm »
And strava?  Why would I want to know that I'm the 546th slowest up primrose hill.  (I assume that what it does, right?)

It does, but you can ignore that in favour of mileage logs, elevation profiles and heatmaps.

(I appear to be 31/41 up Primrose Hill)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #19 on: 15 December, 2014, 06:39:49 pm »
As I'm partly to blame for this thread, I thought I should post my heatmap...

...along with the bit that's taunting me. Oxford to Cumnor. Three and a half miles.   :facepalm:

I'd like to fill some of the other gaps, especially to the Kennet Valley audaxes, but the Oxford one's the most annoying!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #20 on: 15 December, 2014, 06:45:39 pm »
^ No way could I live with that one!

Right! What's next?

« Reply #21 on: 15 December, 2014, 06:49:20 pm »
Ooh, I do like what I'm seeing.
No.  Basil.  You do not want GPS thingies.  :hand:

Still, I do like those tracks. Oh bugger.   :facepalm:

You can do it with a smartphone app.

The strava thingie is something you only get when you pay for the premium service, but there are ways around it.

« Reply #22 on: 15 December, 2014, 06:49:20 pm »
I'm a recent adopter of GPS - only within the last couple of years - so there are loads of gaps, but I think they all would join up in my cycling history.

Not even a tiny gap that's bugging you?

BTW, nikki, I think you've broken the website you linked to..
Possibly ...I can upload tracks from my account, but it says "no activities found" when I try and upload yours.

^ No way could I live with that one!

*twitches a little bit*

« Reply #23 on: 15 December, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
...along with the bit that's taunting me. Oxford to Cumnor. Three and a half miles.   :facepalm:

Only three and a half miles? There's got to be some scope for doing that on a ridiculous cycle of some sort, surely? Penny farthing?

Maybe bunting and a street party, too  ;D

« Reply #24 on: 15 December, 2014, 08:43:58 pm »
I'm another who doesn't upload route.
But .....
Thinking about where I've been on the trike in the last 5 years ..........
I can join all my together at some point bar one ........
It's the ride I did from Sutton Park.
That the only ride I've driven to and from that I haven't crossed/followed on one of my tours of the UK.