Author Topic: Lines on maps and your completionist tendencies  (Read 11293 times)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: Lines on maps and your completionist tendencies
« Reply #50 on: 21 December, 2014, 12:50:44 am »
There's a section between Roubaix and Kluisbergen that is beginning to grate; and also the gap between Taunton Dean Services and Taunton BR.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #51 on: 21 December, 2014, 09:10:56 am »
There's still an outlier in the Lake District which, since the Pendle is at the wrong time this year won't be fixed, yet.

Fixed that for you  ;D

the gap between Taunton Dean Services and Taunton BR.

That sounds awfully like that might be a very short gap ...but also like it might involve being near a motorway :-/

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #52 on: 21 December, 2014, 10:44:26 am »
ISTR an even that controls at Taunton Deane then goes through Taunton. There are several OTP who will put me straight if not.
Mojo is being awakened.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #53 on: 22 December, 2014, 06:42:20 am »
Gaps?   :smug:  Hmmm... Don't start  :demon:

http://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#6/52.78217/-3.05930

Note a few rides around Brittany, including one round a TdF stage, coincidentally won by Cadel Evans, just a few inches ahead of Contador.... (Mur de Bretagne)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #54 on: 22 December, 2014, 06:57:37 am »
The gaps are huge with me, it would take quite a few trips to close them.

(I must have a paper map somewhere with the pre-GPS long trips, so even more gaps in reality)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #55 on: 22 December, 2014, 07:40:00 pm »
I think my geography O level tendencies demand that you complete the Exe/Tees line, Nikki.

Yes, that option was begging to be heard as I tried to name an end point for that line. It's got to go all the way down to the south coast, hasn't it </resigned voice>

If you pass through Bristol, I assume it'd be mandatory to stop off at the shop I saw this afternoon in St James' Arcade which was basically just full of maps and nothing else. Annoyingly I can't find them on the interwebs, or I would have taken a picture.

Edit: aaah, it's just a pop-up shop which explains why it's not on their website. Some cool pictures here (twitter) and here (facebook) though.

« Reply #56 on: 24 December, 2014, 11:59:09 am »
Gaps?

You've omitted Norfolk. Slacker.

mmmmm, Proper Maps...
There's got to be some sort of optimum combination involving GPX, http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=6&lat=53.68647&lon=-1.37665&layers=1 and a really big printer.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #57 on: 25 December, 2014, 01:26:54 pm »
Norfolk is now on my list  ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #58 on: 08 March, 2015, 01:49:38 pm »
I'd like to fill some of the other gaps, especially to the Kennet Valley audaxes, but the Oxford one's the most annoying!

Oh dear. I've done it again, and this time it's even worse.

Not only is it even closer to home than the Oxford gap, it's under two miles.  :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #59 on: 08 March, 2015, 08:53:16 pm »
And it's a village called Eddington!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #60 on: 04 July, 2015, 10:40:49 am »
...along with the bit that's taunting me. Oxford to Cumnor. Three and a half miles.   :facepalm:

Success! I got a slightly earlier train up to Oxford for Fab Foodie's wonderful FNRttS ride, giving me time to gently pootle up to Farmoor and back:

Now, on to the next one...

And it's a village called Eddington!

I think I'm going to try to save closing this one for my 40th ride of 40+ miles. It seems appropriate somehow :)

« Reply #61 on: 04 July, 2015, 10:17:34 pm »
Yay! Congratulations!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #62 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:37:15 pm »
Well this is awkward.   :facepalm:

« Reply #63 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:39:51 pm »
;D

Think of it as an opportunity.

« Reply #64 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:24:45 pm »
 ;D Whoops!  :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #65 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:36:04 am »
Are these maps generated by Strava? Although I have a Strava account I have never logged rides on there - once, perhaps.

I am trying to imagine where my lines might be and where there are sections that are not joined up. Given that we have ridden LEJoG, Lowestoft-Ardnamurchan, a couple of coast-to-coasts, I've done Southend-Market Harborough and York-Stowmarket, and have ridden all the way home from Sheringham, as well as Southend-Maidstone, Southend-Pontefract-Cheltenham, there can't be that many UK lines that don't join up. I think the Southend-Maidstone route will have caught pretty well all of my Kentish rides.

We had a Devonian holiday a few years back which included Totnes, Kingsbridge and Princetown, so that is probably isolated, there is some New Forest/IoW stuff which is probably separated, as well as the Solstice WARTIES that began in Castle Carey and ended in Pewsey. I don't think that the Surrey Hilly 50, which I have completed 3 or 4 times, is connected to anything else.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #66 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:58:05 am »
Are these maps generated by Strava? Although I have a Strava account I have never logged rides on there - once, perhaps.

Other GPX-plotting services are available but for mine, yes - a third-party website uses the Strava API to pull details of my rides from Strava and plot them on a map:

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

red marley

« Reply #67 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:25:07 pm »
For the aspiring completionist, here's my map of Steve's roads more travelled since January 2015:

« Reply #68 on: 12 August, 2015, 05:21:13 pm »
I notice that he is avoiding Wales  . avoiding leeks
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #69 on: 18 August, 2015, 06:35:18 pm »
Well this is awkward.   :facepalm:

There are a couple of places where the track fencing comes right up to the B4-whatsit. <Looks at map> Hmm, perhaps not quite as close as I seemed to remember. Still, I'm sure you can cycle up to the gates any time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #70 on: 18 August, 2015, 09:31:58 pm »
There are a couple of places where the track fencing comes right up to the B4-whatsit. <Looks at map> Hmm, perhaps not quite as close as I seemed to remember. Still, I'm sure you can cycle up to the gates any time.

I'll probably try to remember to cycle out of the gate and back next time I'm there, so I can link it up to the others at my convenience. I forgot tonight, but weather permitting should be back next week.

« Reply #71 on: 19 August, 2015, 01:39:15 am »
I killed my completionist tendencies a several of years ago, back when OSM was a case of "here be dragons", by trying to ride round all of the roads within reach and add them onto the map. I even spent a summer holiday putting a fair proportion of the non-urban parts of Shetland on the map.
Enough is enough, and though I've got loads of track files, I've never uploaded them anywhere, or even looked at them.