Poll

what's your chosen flavour of night?

Friday 15th December
4 (33.3%)
Saturday 16th December
1 (8.3%)
Sometime in January instead (please specify below)
1 (8.3%)
Sometime in February instead (please specify below)
2 (16.7%)
I can't come but I want to vote anyway
2 (16.7%)
All of them!
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Linked Events

• Tan Hill Solstice overnighter: 15 December, 2017

Author Topic: Winter Tan Hill overnighter - now Friday 15th December  (Read 16989 times)

Winter Tan Hill overnighter - now Friday 15th December
« on: 09 October, 2017, 11:57:08 pm »
Here we go again - in proper winter this time.

I'm planning to take a tent, and the bunk rooms usually go fast, so book early and book often if you want a bunk bed. It's £30 for a bunk, including breakfast.

I'll plan another one in February. Let me know if there's any preference on date - OD said late Feb worked, so I'll go with that unless there are any objections.

So a quick poll - I've suggested the weekend of the 15th/16th December, which appeals to me as it's close to my birthday (and Peter's birthday, clarion's birthday, CrinklyLion's birthday, and lots of other birthdays I'm sure), and the dark of the year. It's a stupid time to go to Tan Hill (the highest pub in the UK, often snowed in), and that's kind of the point.

However, as it's peak Christmas party period, and there's always other stuff going on, it may be wrong for other reasons.

I've also suggested either the now-traditional Friday night, or the Saturday night, as Saturday would mean everyone who works your trad Mon-Fri would have the full Saturday to ride up, but trains back on the Sunday are generally more restricted.

January is also doable - maybe someone can check when it's likeliest to snow up there, as Dale really wants to camp in the snow.

February - I've put this as an option since fboab suggested it (something to do with dry January?)

There it is. Take your pick, but please note that a December date would not preclude a date later in winter :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Winter Tan Hill overnighter - pick a date
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2017, 04:49:02 am »
Just voted for February, the later in the month the betterer.

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2017, 08:12:21 am »
Is that because there is more chance of snow?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2017, 08:40:58 am »

Snow does sound fun. It would give me an excuse to ride the MTB!

I voted January because I could only pick one option - but anything other than 15th December would work.

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2017, 11:42:10 am »
How good does this look man?

« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2017, 12:13:49 pm »
Would be needing the studded tyres for that!

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2017, 01:15:31 pm »
Would be needing the studded tyres for that!

Be fine on a file tread...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2017, 04:15:55 pm »
I'm hoping to make it to this one, health willing, as I've been up to Tan Hill on New Year's Day before now, up Arkengarthdale on a touring bike running 25mm rubber.
There wasn't much snow at that point, some time in the early/mid 90's, although we did meet the snow plough coming back down. The driver did inform us that it was rideable to the top, but if we had been in cars he would have told us to forget it!!  :-D

We had spent new year at Grinton YHA and the roads weren't too bad, apart from trying to get back up the hill to the hostel from the pub - 25% gradient, with sheet black ice across the road & cattle grid!!  :thumbsup:
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:42:10 pm »
Alright, who voted for ALL OF THEM (apart from Dale)? ;D

It's looking like the weekend of the 15th/16th December, then another date in late February. A silly solstice ride appeals to me.

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:50:38 pm »
I think that February gives us enough time to seriously consider Yet Another Northern Adventure... 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:08:15 pm »
I suppose the bog will have frozen by then...

« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:33:23 pm »
I've not voted as my plans for December are completely up in the air at the minute  :facepalm:

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2017, 12:31:44 am »

Ah, that might have been me!
Gives me more chance of aligning with a better couple of days, health wise.

Friday 15th works for me, rather than arriving on the Saturday, as I am at work fairly early Sunday morning as we're hosting a round of the Yorkshire Cycle Cross series and I will inevitably wind up running the sign on desk!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:00:26 am »
I'm trying to see if I can make the 15th work. Work thing is at lunchtime, so I expect we'd be done by 4, which might give me enough time to run home, get bike and jump on a train...there's a 16.40 which would get me to Kirkby Stephen for 19.09. Hmm...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:18:17 am »

It's looking like the weekend of the 15th/16th December, then another date in late February. A silly solstice ride appeals to me.

C'est Moi, monsieur.

I'm not fussy, I think I can make all those dates.  Bear in mind that if you put one late in December, I might not arrive until 2018 anyway.  The 16th works for me and would avoid having to make arrangements not to work in the middle of nowhere that day.

I'm trying to see if I can make the 15th work. Work thing is at lunchtime, so I expect we'd be done by 4, which might give me enough time to run home, get bike and jump on a train...there's a 16.40 which would get me to Kirkby Stephen for 19.09. Hmm...

Aah, so you want to join the 'riding up Tan Hill in the dark' club? 

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2017, 03:47:04 pm »

I do have studded tyres for Fred  O:-)

« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:46:22 am »
I can't remember why I said February. It might have been dry January.

It's cheap enough we can do all of them... and the chef knows what I eat now :D

« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2017, 11:26:14 am »
I'm a bit of wimp when it comes to snow and ice, having had a couple of falls in those conditions.  I haven't voted but January or February would be OK for me (depending on weather ....) and obviously another chance to have a go at the innappropriate bike competition.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 14 October, 2017, 05:44:28 pm »
I've taken the 16th December off work... with a little rearrangement of my day off that week I am planning to join you.

[Edit] What I mean is that I hope to be able to camp on the Friday night and travel home on the 16th... and I do believe I can rearrange my day off to cycle up there during daylight on the 15th.

« Reply #19 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:41:00 pm »
Excellent. I've booked the Friday off.

This must confirm the first of a series. Deano?

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:44:52 pm »
Third of a series. I'm going with Friday the 15th then another sometime in February.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:53:22 pm »
I'm a bit of wimp when it comes to snow and ice, having had a couple of falls in those conditions.

My thoughts exactly.  I've gone right off falling off my bike, and my asthma's traditionally rubbish at low temperatures which doesn't play well with massive hills.

Reluctant to buy expensive train tickets for a trip that I'm likely to have to wimp out of.  Maybe when it's camping weather again...

Re: Winter Tan Hill overnighter - now Friday 15th December
« Reply #22 on: 14 October, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »
No bike spaces available for the one train I have a chance of getting, so I'm out. :(

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #23 on: 15 October, 2017, 05:59:01 pm »
I've moved my day off to the 15th, so with a day's holiday I can make this. Really looking forward to this as it is a 'silly idea'. (The only proviso is that if I'm required to conduct a funeral I'll have to come along late on Friday.)

« Reply #24 on: 15 October, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »
I've moved my day off to the 15th, so with a day's holiday I can make this. Really looking forward to this as it is a 'silly idea'. (The only proviso is that if I'm required to conduct a funeral I'll have to come along late on Friday.)

Are you planning on riding from Walton? Chapeau if so!

Also looking forward - and hoping 'weather' doesn't change that