Author Topic: RIP Terry Wogan  (Read 8505 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
RIP Terry Wogan
« on: 31 January, 2016, 09:20:53 am »
Blimey, just seen this piece of news on the Beeb

I thought he was immortal.

My mum will be gutted. I expect this might even trump Bowie for media coverage.

RIP Terry - an institution
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: RIP Terry Wogan
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:30:37 am »
The world will be less beige for his passing.

A master of reinvention, his latest road trip eating fest was the usual non offensive, mildly amusing, sightly informative comfort blanket. His euro commentary was masterful.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:34:32 am »
There's a man whose voice on the radio made him sound fat, but he wasn't.  I remember being surprised at that first time I saw him on the box.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:48:02 am »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2016, 11:08:20 am »
Well, for somebody that never listened to his radio show or watched his TV series I feel really quite sad at hearing news of his passing.
Judging by the number of tributes from a whole range of varying broadcasters, it's not difficult to see how his warmth and
generosity of spirit touched a lot of people.
RIP

Garry Broad

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2016, 11:16:38 am »
Sad news.

I can't say I listened to him much but it was reassuring that he was always around somewhere.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2016, 11:50:06 am »
I went off him about seven years ago for his "Scientists! What do they know? Global Warming is a myth designed to fleece us out of more tax!" line that he kept on spouting. :(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2016, 01:05:28 pm »
I went off him when he scabbed a BBC strike and said he had to because "he was on a contract."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2016, 02:22:42 pm »
I hated how Children in Need expected loads of people like camera bods etc to donate their time for free but Terry got a big paycheque of hundreds of thousands for the night.  I hate CiN charidee shit anyway, but that shows what a fucking mockery it all is...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2016, 03:05:22 pm »
CiN may not be your cup of tea, but it raised somewhere close to £1 billion over the years which is a pretty impressive record.

Terry Wogan was everyone's friend; warm, welcoming and funny. He seems a very strange person to take against.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2016, 03:49:06 pm »
I hated how Children in Need expected loads of people like camera bods etc to donate their time for free but Terry got a big paycheque of hundreds of thousands for the night.  I hate CiN charidee shit anyway, but that shows what a fucking mockery it all is...

Quote from: Guardian
He had faced criticism in previous years after it emerged he had been paid £1,300 an hour for hosting the annual charity appeal on BBC1, although he insisted he did not know about the fee and had waived it.

Do the camera crews, studio techs, security and everyone else involved get paid for CIN, or do they all give their time free?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2016, 04:39:32 pm »
It starts to become complicated when you get into match-funding. It's useful to have a notional value set on the contribution of volunteers. You can then count that as a contribution.

If you are getting funds from the EU or the National Lottery, assessing the time of celebrities based on their usual fee frees up that amount of money as match funding from those sources.

I've been asked to provide 'notional' invoices to facilitate that kind of thing.

I also remember when Terry got into trouble over Schedule D Forestry. A very complicated subject, which was easy to become enraged about, without ever understanding fully.

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:04:40 pm »

That has the aura of Internet tales about it, a quick google turns up this http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/terry-wogan-waives-his-9000-fee-for-children-in-need-6648423.html

Last year, the presenter received £10,340 for anchoring the BBC's charitable appeal. In 2005, he was paid £9,065.

BBC favourite will waive his £9,000 fee for presenting charity show Children In Need
When details of the fees came to light, Wogan, who earns £800,000 a year for his Radio 2 show, said he had "never asked for a fee and would quite happily do it for nothing".

But the BBC said it had "considered it appropriate" to pay him a " noncommercial" fee.

"This fee has never been subject to negotiation," it added. "It is paid by the BBC and does not come from the funds of the BBC Children In Need Appeal Charity.

"No other BBC presenters or personalities were paid."

However, a report in the corporation's internal magazine Ariel said: "Terry Wogan will waive his fee for fronting the BBC Children In Need Telethon."

And this from 2009
https://www.facebook.com/Stop-Terry-Wogan-getting-paid-for-Children-in-Need-176715303030/

Terry Wogan has been getting paid for presenting Children in Need since 1980. In 2005 he was paid £9,065 This means whatever you donated or raised was technically just paying his wage.

Which has obviously taken on a life of its own

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:08:59 pm »
whilst at the same time suggesting that CiN raised a mere £9,065.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:27:24 pm »

Quote from: Guardian
He had faced criticism in previous years after it emerged he had been paid £1,300 an hour for hosting the annual charity appeal on BBC1, although he insisted he did not know about the fee and had waived it.

Do the camera crews, studio techs, security and everyone else involved get paid for CIN, or do they all give their time free?

Well presumably anyone who works for a charity should, of course, not be paid for it. Swines. Doing something worthwhile and expecting to earn a living from it.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »
Blimey, that facebook page is unbelievable.  :facepalm:

I'm rather stunned that there's such hatred out there for him - but then ho hum, probably shouldn't be.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2016, 06:59:49 pm »
Graham Norton seems to be a worthy replacement, although a little more camp.

I'll just leave this here.  It is possibly the most horrific Internet video you will see this side of the Daesh Annual Hootenanny.

https://youtu.be/T3Y4HufJ1oE
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »

Wogan I was indifferent to but I could happily kick Graham Norton's public persona until I get blisters.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 31 January, 2016, 09:17:40 pm »

Wogan I was indifferent to but I could happily kick Graham Norton's public persona until I get blisters.
Did you mis-spell "pubic"?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #19 on: 31 January, 2016, 10:46:58 pm »
Depending on his mood, or the decade, my dad would inflict James Last (I don't know which track, the shite always sounded the same), The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush or The Floral Dance by Wogan on us on Christmas Day during the meal. For that reason, and his wigs, I never took to Wogan, but he was an institution.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2016, 09:39:53 am »
As he was always on TV when I was a kid, it was years before I realised he had an "accent". I just assumed he was English. I used to enjoy Blankety Blank, and used to wonder if a Blankety Blank chequebook and pen, was something you could actually write cheques with.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:20:52 am »
This has turned into a lovely tribute, including touching anecdotes about hatred for Graham Norton, whether Terry Wogan actually accepted a fee for CiN or not, and general "I never liked him" stuff.

It takes a certain frame of mind to tell the world that you never liked someone on a "Rest in Peace" thread I think, even more so about hatred of a Charity TV event that raised a Billion quid for kids (and that can be easily switched off... just like I always do).

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:33:37 am »
I only remember him from childhood Blankety Blanks. I once tried to explain that to an American. Was it a real chequebook? Erm, I don't think so.

« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:48:26 am »
I used to listen to him in the late 1960s, as my dad always had him on in the car, as he was a Waggoner's Walk fan. We started listening to Radio 2 again in 1999 after a trip to North West Scotland, where it was the only station readily available.
I liked his flights of fancy, but preferred Ken Bruce. It's difficult to understand the format of Radio 2 unless you know about 'Needle Time'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_time  When recorded music was restricted, chat was important, as it filled up airtime. It's still useful, because it saves paying broadcast royalties.

The younger generation doesn't understand why they can't just have music all the time. Wogan was one of the first to use listener e-mails as a key part of the content, so a bit of a Web 2.0 pioneer.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:36:23 pm »
Supermatch game supermatch game supermatch game