Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 867273 times)

red marley

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #1300 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:51:58 am »
Can I nominate John Humphrys on the Today Programme this morning for his patronising anti-intellectual interview of a mathematician on six unsolved problems in mathematics?

Humphrys: So, can you explain in layman's terms one of these problems? Keep it really simple! (snigger, snigger).
Mathematician: Blah, blah, blah, conjecture, blah, blah, blah Riemann [Humphys clearly wasn't listening]
Humphrys: So, do you basically go and sit in a lecture theatre somewhere and think about these problems with a wet towel wrapped around your head?

ian

« Reply #1301 on: 24 March, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »
Is he allowed to be President?  He was born in Canuckistan and his father only became naturalised in 2005 ???

His mother was, alas, a US citizen.

I thought both parents had to be USAnian citizens ???

Anyway, I look forward to the Tea Party fruitbats who previously took up cudgels against that nice Mr Obambi for having allegedly been born in Indonesia or Tau Ceti or somewhere doing the business...

It's complicated on accounted the Constitution says 'natural born citizen' but conspiciously fails to define 'natural born'. Further complicated that the majority of the early presidents (with the exception of van Buren) had been British Subjects and I imagine they didn't want to disqualify themselves.

Provided his mother met the residency requirements (if I recall, 10 years on actual US soil), then any child born to her would be considered a 'natural born' US citizen. Contrary to popular belief you don't have to be born on US soil, but you do have to be born a US citizen (and not be naturalised as a US citizen later, sorry Arnie) and then have lived in the US for fourteen or so years. It's always been a bit of a hot pickle, there's been quite a few arguments about candidates born in pre-state territories (the last mainland territory to become a state was Arizona in 1912), John McCain was challenged on the fact that he was born in the Panama Canal Zone, and even Al Gore has issues because he was born in Washington DC, which isn't a US state, hark the licence plate cry of 'Taxation Without Representation').

There are two primary fruitbat arguments about Obama, one is that he cunningly faked his birth in Honolulu, something which requires a grand conspiracy, or more interminably one of the above arguments, that his father was a British Subject (or whatever category was afforded to Kenyans pre-independence). Despite much digging, no fine legal mind had discovered anything that says both parents have to be US citizens (both Obama and Chester A Arthur have demonstrated this). Of course, Cruz complicates it by being born outside the US.

In other news, whatever his status, he's a nutjob. Protests about his ineligibility would perhaps result in a mutual nutjob annihilation.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #1302 on: 24 March, 2015, 01:30:30 pm »
Can I nominate John Humphrys on the Today Programme this morning for his patronising anti-intellectual interview of a mathematician on six unsolved problems in mathematics?

Seconded.  And let's indite Mishal Hussein and whoever was reading the weather, together with Humphrys, since they seemed quite happy to go along with the giggling.

« Reply #1303 on: 24 March, 2015, 01:57:09 pm »
It's complicated on accounted the Constitution says 'natural born citizen' but conspiciously fails to define 'natural born'. Further complicated that the majority of the early presidents (with the exception of van Buren) had been British Subjects and I imagine they didn't want to disqualify themselves.
Van Buren was a British Subject, & had no nationality other than British/USian. He was born in 1782 in New York state, to New Netherlands Dutch parents - i.e. they'd both been born on British territory, & so had their parents, etc. The community he was born into had come under British rule 118 years before he was born, & apart from a brief interlude in 1673-4, had remained so until the American rebellion, but was in territory governed by rebels when he was born.

All the presidents before him, & his immediate successor, were born in British North America as British Subjects. Technically, so was he, but born in rebel-governed territory during the rebellion.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #1304 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »

Van Buren was a British Subject, & had no nationality other than British/USian. He was born in 1782 in New York state, to New Netherlands Dutch parents - i.e. they'd both been born on British territory, & so had their parents, etc. The community he was born into had come under British rule 118 years before he was born, & apart from a brief interlude in 1673-4, had remained so until the American rebellion, but was in territory governed by rebels when he was born.

All the presidents before him, & his immediate successor, were born in British North America as British Subjects. Technically, so was he, but born in rebel-governed territory during the rebellion.

Hmm, my understanding is that Martin van Buren was the first US president to born a US Citizen, he was born five years after the State of New York endorsed the Declaration of Independence, at which point anyone born within its claim was considered a US Citizen (though citizenship was vaguely defined). You could argue that everyone born in the British American territories was a de facto British Subject until the Treaty of Paris, but it's generally accepted that those born on claimed territory post-declaration were US Citizens unless they opted to leave by 1783.

« Reply #1305 on: 24 March, 2015, 04:20:27 pm »
Van Buren was born British - technically - & would have been born under British rule if his mother had popped down the Hudson a bit, to the part of New York still controlled by Great Britain. Along with everyone else born in the 13 colonies, his status wasn't settled until the peace treaty, a few months after his birth, when his parents stayed put in Kinderhook. It wasn't surprising they stayed behind, as his father was a supporter of independence, but about 30000 others left via New York.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1306 on: 24 March, 2015, 04:41:26 pm »

Seconded.  And let's indite Mishal Hussein and whoever was reading the weather, together with Humphrys, since they seemed quite happy to go along with the giggling.

May I submit further evidence of Jovial Johnny's fuckwitery?

In an interview with some rentagob political commentator about the Cameron Succession he asked whether or not this fascinating political conundrum would be of interest to anyone "…not inside the Westminster Beltway…"

Westminster WHAT?

I am under the impression that The Beltway is a road round Washington DC, which is in the USA, which is not very near Westminster.

I suppose that he thought it was a frightfully clever metaphor.

I thought that it made him sound like a twat. Possibly a super one.

ian

« Reply #1307 on: 24 March, 2015, 05:15:08 pm »
Van Buren was born British - technically - & would have been born under British rule if his mother had popped down the Hudson a bit, to the part of New York still controlled by Great Britain. Along with everyone else born in the 13 colonies, his status wasn't settled until the peace treaty, a few months after his birth, when his parents stayed put in Kinderhook. It wasn't surprising they stayed behind, as his father was a supporter of independence, but about 30000 others left via New York.

Like I say, you could argue that everyone born in the American colonies was a British Subject until Britain relinquished her claim to the Colonial territories in the Treaty of Paris (the fledgling American republic almost got Quebec too), but it's generally accepted that American 'citizens' were being manufactured from Loyalists from the declaration of independence onwards, regardless of who controlled the actual piece of territory. Kinderhook fell within the claim of New York. As such, van Buren is cited as the first US citizen to be president. Of course, most Americans don't appreciate that the war of independence was mostly a civil war, rather than fulsome Americans conjured de novo to fight their colonial and nattily dressed British oppressors.

« Reply #1308 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:25:39 pm »
Ted Cruz.  $DEITY on a bike, he's a fascist nutter.

To which you just have to add the charge, too stupid to register a URL

http://www.tedcruz.com/

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1309 on: 24 March, 2015, 08:56:32 pm »
"…not inside the Westminster Beltway…"

Westminster WHAT? ...
The M25 old boy, the M25.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1310 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »
BBC Business Irritant and scruffy oik Robert Peston should take elocution lessons, get a haircut and fuck the fuck off.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1311 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:53:22 pm »
BBC Business Irritant and scruffy oik Robert Peston should take elocution lessons, get a haircut and fuck the fuck off.
FTFY

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1312 on: 08 April, 2015, 11:20:43 am »
Hardly needs saying, but Terry Richardson!
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1313 on: 08 April, 2015, 03:00:39 pm »
He looks worryingly like a badly-shorn Lemmy in trendy glasses :sick:

As for:

Quote from: Kate Upton
I was like “that was disrespectful, you could have told me!

I am minded of the scene in Carl Hiaasen's Star Island, in which Chemo gets busy with a cattle prod every time Cherry Pye speaks like an S-T:

Quote from: Carl Hiaasen
“Cattle prod,” Chemo said. He’d bought it at a farm-supply store in Kissimmee, the same week he was paroled from prison. It was a Sabre-Six Hot-Shot, with a fiberglass shaft and nickel-plated contacts. He used it for jobs that were too dainty for the weed whacker.
“Looks sorta kinky. How’s it work?” She was slurping another Red Bull, painting her toenails.
“I’ve been making a list in my head,” Chemo said.
They were outside, on the balcony terrace of her suite, Cherry wearing a DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER T-shirt and a sky-blue string bikini bottom. The sun was intense so Chemo had smeared his face with 70 SPF sunblock, which made him look like a seven-foot mime. He was waiting for his meeting with Maury Lykes.
“Like, what kinda list?” Cherry asked, and he touched the end of the cattle prod to her bare thigh. She made a noise like a chicken going under the wheels of a truck, and pitched over sideways in the patio chair.
“Every time you say like, I prod your ass,” he explained. “Also on the list: awesome, sweet, sick, totally, and hot. Those are for starters.”

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1314 on: 09 April, 2015, 01:07:44 pm »
Katie "Troll For Hire" Hopkins.
Again.

« Reply #1315 on: 10 April, 2015, 03:23:47 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1316 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

He has, or rather speach therapy sessions because of his severe stammer.

Rest still stands though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1317 on: 10 April, 2015, 06:37:27 pm »
No excuse for sounding like a hideous mashup of Lard Greaseman and the Hon. Member for Rural Neptune.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1318 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:39:53 pm »
David Cameron

« Reply #1319 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:50:40 pm »
Surely not, now that we're all guaranteed the good life...?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1320 on: 16 April, 2015, 11:43:13 pm »
Supertwat special on Question Time tonight? Grant Shapps and Piers Morgan.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1321 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:36:03 am »
I thought that was Michael Green.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1322 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:42:06 am »
Surely not, now that we're all guaranteed the good life...?

Ah yes, the Good Life.

Couple A living hand to mouth, working 16 hours plus a day, every day simply to put turnips on the table.  The modern era minimum wage / zero hours contract couple.   Couple B living the life of the entitled, one partner not working, the society and champagne lifestyle, the perks of position.   The modern era life of the former public school politician or company executive.

Which couple do you most align with?     :demon:

« Reply #1323 on: 17 April, 2015, 02:52:37 pm »

Which couple do you most align with?     :demon:
You are asking me to choose between Felicity Kendal and Penelope Keith?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1324 on: 17 April, 2015, 05:49:03 pm »
Of course, most Americans don't appreciate that the war of independence was mostly a civil war, rather than fulsome Americans conjured de novo to fight their colonial and nattily dressed British oppressors.
True.