Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 134631 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #125 on: 15 June, 2019, 11:05:45 pm »
I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d make a dreadful alcoholic because I keep forgetting to drink. The other night I really wanted to have a whisky, but by the time I remembered I was in bed and cba to go an get one. Mind ewe, I’m trying to make up for it tonight.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #126 on: 16 June, 2019, 10:34:12 am »
Speaking of alligators, and Florida...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/florida-couple-use-alligator-for-gender-reveal-party-a4166926.html

At least using an alligator is slightly less environmentally irresponsible than the Arizona Border Patrol agent who shot at an explosive target in 2017, starting a wildfire...  :facepalm:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/border-patrol-agent-pleads-guilty-starting-wildfire-fire-gender-reveal-n915441

Oh. Popping balloons, right.  On first sight I imagined something like a gathering where everyone whipped off their loincloths at the same time.

Whipping off an alligator I could understand - I mean, who would want to wear one anyway? - but having the Border Patrol fire at an explosive codpiece seems a bit Darwinesque.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #127 on: 30 June, 2019, 01:56:59 pm »
Alabama man denies pet is 'methed-out' attack squirrel:

An Alabama man wanted on drug and gun charges, who authorities said kept an "attack squirrel" in his apartment, denied allegations that he fed his squirrel meth to "keep it aggressive."

"Narcotics investigators arrested one man and are looking for another after they executed a search warrant Monday that yielded meth, drug paraphernalia, body armor, and a squirrel," said a statement from the Limestone County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday.

Investigators searched an Athens, Alabama, apartment Monday after getting a tip that Mickey Paulk, 35, was keeping a methamphetamine-fueled "attack squirrel" at the residence, the statement said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-man-denies-pet-methed-out-attack-squirrel-n1019386

Paulk's since been arrested on multiple felony warrants unrelated to the squirrel.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-man-accused-feeding-meth-squirrel-arrested-n1024801?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

OK Georgia, now it's your turn...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #128 on: 05 July, 2019, 07:04:09 pm »

"Mississippi is forbidding grocery stores from calling veggie burgers “veggie burgers”

https://www.newsweek.com/vegan-meat-bacon-1447236

https://t.co/1gecZOsSRu
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #129 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »
Quite right too.  As long as they extended it to the fraudulent an infuriating word "beefburger" as well :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #130 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:46:13 pm »
apparently the EU is working alomng similar lines

veggie burger = veggie patty
veggie sausage = veggie tube

I say we should exit and go it alone, where we can call a vegie burger by it's true name - seasoned hockey puck

[NOTE: may contain traces of politics]
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #131 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
I say we should exit and go it alone, where we can call a vegie burger by it's true name - seasoned hockey puck

So the subject of Tom Lehrer's ditty 'She's My Girl' was ahead of her time, then...

So though for breakfast she makes coffee that tastes like sham-poo,
I come home for dinner and get peanut butter stew,
Or, if I'm in luck,
It's broiled hockey puck,
But, oh well, what the hell,
She's my girl,
And I love her.

http://iankitching.me.uk/humour/lehrer/an-evening.html#MyGirl
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #132 on: 06 July, 2019, 11:57:23 pm »
Quote from: Ogden Nash

In mortal combat I am joined
With monstrous words wherever coined
"Beefburger" is a term worth hating,
Both fraudulent and infuriating,
Contrived to foster the belief
That only beefburgers are made of beef
Implying with shoddy flim and flam
That hamburgers are made of ham

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #133 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:30:55 am »
apparently the EU is working alomng similar lines

veggie burger = veggie patty
veggie sausage = veggie tube

[NOTE: may contain traces of politics]

I like some veggie burgers* (some are awful, the EU should really invest its time into categorizing them). The beanish ones are best. I'm unconvinced by the pretend meat stuff. I had one of the 'impossible burger' things and it was OK but I think if you expect a cow burger you're still going to be a bit disappointed.

*for my sins, I was a vegetarian for many years.

ElyDave

« Reply #134 on: 08 July, 2019, 05:03:14 pm »
I have no problem with well cooked veggie food, but I do tend to dislike the veggie food that is trying too hard to look like meat.  Just be imaginative without using meat FFS.

ian

« Reply #135 on: 08 July, 2019, 06:52:20 pm »
I can understand why someone might be veggie and crave meat – if you're not eating meat for ethical reasons for instance – it's possible to crave a burger (and bacon, oh bacon). I've no issue with substitutes in general if they address that need, just that some of them aren't very good. Others are reasonable if not quite the same (Cauldren veggies sausages for instance, which I still wolf down in quantity). The Impossible Burger I had wasn't a bad substitution, but you'd not muddle it for a good cow burger, but it's probably a better bet than the cheap and nasty sawdust burger. I think it tried too hard, and to be honest, there's perfectly good veggie burgers that are fine as they are.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #137 on: 09 July, 2019, 03:33:31 pm »
I think it would be rather fun (because parties are fun!) to have a gender non-reveal party. As in "Revealed! We don't know and we're not telling you!" Or maybe a "not having a baby" party.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #138 on: 09 July, 2019, 03:53:40 pm »
Stick the pics in an album and hey presto, the Book of Revelations.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #139 on: 09 July, 2019, 06:53:49 pm »
Moar "gender reveal party" tomfoolery, this time courtesy of Captain Cook's Mistake

Uhoh.  If it's spread to the antipodeans, it's just a matter of time before BRITONS start doing it.

ElyDave

« Reply #140 on: 09 July, 2019, 07:03:53 pm »
I can understand why someone might be veggie and crave meat – if you're not eating meat for ethical reasons for instance – it's possible to crave a burger (and bacon, oh bacon). I've no issue with substitutes in general if they address that need, just that some of them aren't very good. Others are reasonable if not quite the same (Cauldren veggies sausages for instance, which I still wolf down in quantity). The Impossible Burger I had wasn't a bad substitution, but you'd not muddle it for a good cow burger, but it's probably a better bet than the cheap and nasty sawdust burger. I think it tried too hard, and to be honest, there's perfectly good veggie burgers that are fine as they are.

I'm with you on the cauldron sausages, one of the few substitutes that I'll eat with equal relish to the meat equivalent.  I'm just generally eating less meat these days

« Reply #141 on: 09 July, 2019, 07:14:32 pm »
Moar "gender reveal party" tomfoolery, this time courtesy of Captain Cook's Mistake

Uhoh.  If it's spread to the antipodeans, it's just a matter of time before BRITONS start doing it.

From the news site I linked to, the other gender reveal stunt story they were running involves a Canuckistani actress, so it's only a matter of time before the contagion crosses the Big Pond:

https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/a190707xfgzt/shay-mitchells-gender-reveal-stunt-goes-horribly-wrong-almost-kills-two-power-rangers-20190707

I try not to be one for the YACF trope of downward-punching classism, but you just know that when it takes off here, with the people likely to indulge in such behaviour, it won't even be endearingly crap per the "Nailed it" meme...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #142 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:42:46 am »
I think it's time for new wave colonialism; we take a law from India and ban scans etc from telling parents the sex of their baby.

« Reply #143 on: 11 July, 2019, 02:34:36 pm »
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets Repo Man in Oklahoma!

or

Back To The Future, Redneck-style....

Two people were arrested after a traffic stop of a stolen car revealed the two had a rattlesnake, radioactive uranium, and an open bottle of Kentucky Deluxe.​
https://twitter.com/kfor/status/1149239648801214464

Unfortunately, we're geo-blocked from the news site linked in the tweet (GDPR strikes again  ::-) :facepalm:), so we can't tell if the car involved was a DeLorean.

« Reply #144 on: 13 July, 2019, 08:40:59 am »
Heavy metal knitting championship in Finland

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190712/p2g/00m/0et/063000c

« Reply #145 on: 13 July, 2019, 08:52:02 am »
That is so worth chasing down the vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abkGXxUs-mw

« Reply #146 on: 18 July, 2019, 12:15:15 am »
Come to the Thug Life side, we've got cookies!

Picture the Iowa Department of Human Services director rollin’.

The Associated Press reported on Tuesday that 66-year-old Jerry Foxhoven was asked to resign after repeatedly declaring his unwavering dedication to ’90s rapper Tupac and his music during work hours.

During his two-year tenure, the Tupac super-fan held “Tupac Fridays” in his office, handed out Tupac-themed cookies on his 65th birthday (some of which were decorated with the words “Thug life”) and regularly traded Tupac lyrics with staffers.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/iowa-official-resign-tupac-obsession

The state governor must have been a Notorious BIG fan. :demon:

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #148 on: 18 July, 2019, 02:13:55 pm »
In French, sorry, but to paraphrase the reporting "Finding the bodies really buggered up charlotte's holiday".....
https://www.rtl.be/info/video/713958.aspx

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #149 on: 18 July, 2019, 05:47:19 pm »

Oh
Fuck
 :hand: