Linked Events

• WARTY: 21 February, 2009

Author Topic: Announcing the WARTY.  (Read 82926 times)

Re: Announcing the WARTY.
« Reply #250 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:32:33 pm »
Seriously, I'm speechless. I've had a hard day riding my steel steed and it's left me a bit numb in the wit department.

« Reply #251 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »
Seriously, I'm speechless. I've had a hard day riding my steel steed and it's left me a bit numb in the wit department.
Don't beat yourself. You'll rise again and be able to inject some humour into annies WARTY rides.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #252 on: 11 January, 2009, 08:54:19 pm »
I can make the 21st  :thumbsup:

Anything involving cars I can't do, seeing as I got rid of mine the year before last and never really needed to replace it.

Don't let it be a show stopper. I haz car and can give you a lift if needed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

annie

« Reply #253 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:03:18 pm »

I don't recall there being an option. ;)

« Reply #254 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »
I can make the 21st  :thumbsup:

Anything involving cars I can't do, seeing as I got rid of mine the year before last and never really needed to replace it.

Don't let it be a show stopper. I haz car and can give you a lift if needed.

You can get to Ely on the train too. It may involve a change at Cambridge.

Or you could cycle to and from Ely

« Reply #255 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:15:35 pm »
Or you could cycle to and from Ely
There is no cure for Teethgrinder disease  :'(  but you can help with a small donation of just £3 per month  :thumbsup:.
Cycling it's addictive!   ;)

« Reply #256 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:04:55 pm »
Thanks Tim H, that's a kind offer.

TG, I only mentioned cars because of Wow's comment about a ride possibly involving an overnight stay and cars upthread, due to the train issues. I did get a train to Ely to get to Mildenhall last year but it was a bit of a pain because there were no bike spaces at all, the trains were all quite small and coming back it was really busy *shudder*  :-\

Please cease with your talk of cycling to Ely, you know it's not going to happen  ;D

cometworm

« Reply #257 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:21:04 pm »
Is this the place?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #258 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:22:30 pm »
Now a bit of research has revealed that it is possible to get from Southend to Ely for £6 each way, but so far my research has revealed that one has to go via Kennett. Just ask for a straight run through and it comes up with £36 return.

Getting trains that actually get us there when we want to be there is another matter all together. This is where the camping option seems to work well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #259 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:24:54 pm »
Funnily enough, Mr R is on call tonight and he phoned me a few minutes ago - he's part way through a Mental Health Act assessment in Ely.

Has any yACFer in Ely got a rather camp, Plug-alikee parked in his/her front room?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #260 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:55:25 pm »
21st Feb for the next one.  :thumbsup:  Route and weather to be announced.
I'm free - just let me know time and place.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #261 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »
February Warty

21st February, meet at Wickford for 9.30 start.

NB There are no trains between Shenfield and Colchester on 21st, 22nd and 28th Feb. This will not worry Wartiers from London, who will want a Southend Victoria bound train from Lpoo St. Londoners should buy a cheap day return to Burnham-on-Crouch, which is the same price as for Wickford at £8.10 with a railcard. About £6 on a groupsave for 4.

This ride will have three significant climbs. Within a mile of the start, we have Brock Hill, which is good for 35 mph when going the other way. Later there is Bushy Hill (known to CTCers as Radar Hill) via Edwin's Hall Road and finally St. Lawrence Hill, famed for its lost chevron. The old 1" OS maps gave it one, the 1:50000 have taken it away. None of them is Ditchling.

11ses will be at the Round Bush pub which has a cafe alongside. More of a beans-on-toast café than a cakey one in my experience. Good value.

Lunch will be at one of the Bradwell or Tillingham pubs, all serving ale. Del & I intend to research this.

Notable points on the ride: St. Peter's on the Wall, a wonderful Saxon church; splendid views of the Crouch estuary in the first instance, and later the Blackwater. Tony Benn's house (well, we'll see the road leading there). Bleak, utterly bleak, remote coastal farmland. I think even the remote bits of Lincolnshire struggle to come up with this sort of bleak.

NSTN rating: good. There are two or three roads marked white on OS maps but they are concrete farm tracks frequently used by road bikes. There will be very little skog because on this ride there is little or no woodland. There might be some mud from agricultural vehicles.

The "official" ride will finish at Burnham in a sea-wall pub. There are trains back to Wickford at 39 mins past each hour, except the last which is at 11.23 p.m. Trains between London and Wickford are are 3 an hour. This will be just short of 50 miles. Delthebike has kindly agreed to act as ride leader for anyone who wants to cycle back to Wickford (about 20 miles from Burnham). If I can persuade Mrs Wow to ride solo, I'll join you on the way back to Wickford. If you choose the Burnham - Wickford option, it will be dark.

simonp

« Reply #262 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:23:43 pm »
NSTN - was getting to Ely problematic just north of Cambridge or the whole way?

Cos you could cycle to Ely from Cambridge.  It's not very far.  Honest.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #263 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:27:55 pm »
21st Feb you say? Hmmm?

Strokes chin and makes interested noises.
It is simpler than it looks.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #264 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:31:00 pm »
Wickford became the birthplace of Naturism in the United Kingdom. In 1922 the English Gymnosophist Society was formed and had its home in the town.

;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #265 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
Wickford became the birthplace of Naturism in the United Kingdom. In 1922 the English Gymnosophist Society was formed and had its home in the town.

;D

This is true, but it was before my time.

Actually the house in question, in Castleton Road, is very adjacent to the railway track along which YACFers will be travelling.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #266 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:37:36 pm »
21st Feb you say? Hmmm?

You would be very welcome, Jaded. If you need a bed for the night, let us know.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #267 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »

;D

This is true, but it was before my time.

Actually the house in question, in Castleton Road, is very adjacent to the railway track along which YACFers will be travelling.

Better keep a sharp eye on them then  ;D

« Reply #268 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »
Bleak, utterly bleak, remote coastal farmland. I think even the remote bits of Lincolnshire struggle to come up with this sort of bleak.

I am most interested in participating.
An entry has been made in my diary.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #269 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »
I think the old boy who started it all up is now dead. He was no spring chicken in 1922. I do remember in my youth that everyone knew that this was the house where the nudist lived. This was in the 1960s. I expect he was dead by then.

« Reply #270 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:55:44 pm »
I took the pic below on Dengie Marshes last July.
I expect the bleakness to be turned up to 11 in February.  :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #271 on: 12 January, 2009, 12:00:41 am »
21st Feb you say? Hmmm?

You would be very welcome, Jaded. If you need a bed for the night, let us know.

That's very kind! I think I may be in the West Cambridgeshire area for a few days beforehand, earning brownie points for a passout!  ;D

(so still in West Cambridgeshire on the 21st and able to sneak away)

I'll check with the boss. It sounds like good E2E training to me!
It is simpler than it looks.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #272 on: 13 January, 2009, 10:44:05 am »
Finally, I've managed to get the video finished that I shot on Saturday.

Firstly it was cold so there's some camera shake!  There's also an annoying blob which is something trapped inside on the lens.  Also I could only get Youtube to upload it by reducing the picture quality, so it's a bit pixely in places.  Anyway, the link is <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5i_LLIMjVnc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/5i_LLIMjVnc&rel=1</a>
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #273 on: 13 January, 2009, 10:53:21 am »
Excellent  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #274 on: 13 January, 2009, 11:17:17 am »
Good stuff, I enjoyed that - even though watching it made me feel cold again! ;)