Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 81251 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #225 on: 14 July, 2011, 09:45:37 am »
Schleck's riding a good tour.  He's not put himself up to be attacked, yet he's still within reach.  He still needs to time it carefully...
Getting there...

« Reply #226 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:22:00 am »
Schleck's riding a good tour.  He's not put himself up to be attacked, yet he's still within reach.  He still needs to time it carefully...

I presume you mean Andy, rather than Frank, who shouldn't be counted out in his own right.

To be honest, Andy Schleck was perhaps a little too cute in his tactics last year, merely following Contador's wheel most of the time, and the one time he did try to attack, we had the dropped chain episode.

This year, with Frank still in the race, there is an opportunity to use tag team tactics and work Contador over, and given that Contador is carrying a knee injury and looked laboured on the Mur-de-Bretagne, the other GC contenders may feel inspired to be more aggressive as well.

In return, Contador needs to go on the attack early, in order to recover the deficit accrued in the first week, or to get a better idea of whether it's not his year in the TdF this year, and save himself for la Vuelta.

The other variable is Evans - he's been looking in good shape so far, but has he been able to improve his climbing to be better able to respond to the explosive attacks of the pure climbers?

The only thing that is certain is that the men will be sorted from the mountain goats today.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tim

« Reply #227 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:36:57 am »
Given that Andy is seen as the stronger contender than his brother I wonder whether it will actually be a move of Frank's that ends up inadequately marked and gains a small margin (seems more likely than a move of Andy's goes unmarked). Now under that scenario would Andy be willing to get his brother to the top of the podium in Paris?

I wonder whether there is actually a greater chance of Frank winning this thing (as a dark horse due to his brother) than many of the team leaders who are still in with a shout.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #228 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:39:55 am »
Interesting idea.  I guess that the leading contenders are watching each other like hawks.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #229 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:41:43 am »
I don't think he's fading - yet - he's just not really an all-out sprinter.  And it doesn't help when Greipel takes some of his intermediate sprint points from him.

I thought Greipel was trying to lead him out rather than take the points off him. Sure, Gilbert's not a sprinter so he's never going to compete with Cav on those terms, but where was he at the end of the stage? Didn't even finish inside the top 20. Not even close. That's why I think he might be fading.

Maybe Sunday's stage will be a good one for him - one cat 2 climb to take the sprinters out of the race, then downhill to the finish.

Are there points for the individual time trial? If so, he could pick up a few there, I guess.

But is he a strong enough climber that he'll pick up points on the mountain stages? I can't see it myself. I'm backing Cav to take two more stage wins, and I reckon that will be enough to secure the green jersey.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #230 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:46:51 am »
I wonder whether there is actually a greater chance of Frank winning this thing (as a dark horse due to his brother) than many of the team leaders who are still in with a shout.

Based on form so far this season, you'd have to say Frank looks the better bet. Andy's looking strong but he has no attacking instinct and I reckon that'll ultimately be his undoing. Again.

For my money, it's Cadel's to lose. But then it wouldn't be the first time he's thrown away a race from a strong position...

I guess we'll find out today whether or not Contador's sandbagging. Millar seems to think he is.

d.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #231 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:54:04 am »
I've also been wondering about Frank Schleck.  Schleck Bros. have major fall-out allowing Cuddles in to win the whole thing?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #232 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:38:50 am »
I don't think he's fading - yet - he's just not really an all-out sprinter.  And it doesn't help when Greipel takes some of his intermediate sprint points from him.

I thought Greipel was trying to lead him out rather than take the points off him.

I'm sure he was.  It just didn't work out too well.

citoyen

« Reply #233 on: 14 July, 2011, 12:01:13 pm »
It just didn't work out too well.

That's an understatement!  ;D

d.

Tim

« Reply #234 on: 14 July, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »
Geraint Thomas in virtual yellow. That'll probably be as close as he gets this year. Though he's had a good tour, and had he not waited for Bradley there would be a whole set of ifs and buts with answers.

« Reply #235 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »
Geraint Thomas crossed the summit and then outbraked himself, left the road and almost took a flyer down the hill.  Got back on and did it again within a miniute.  Best advised to get a bit of heat in his carbon rims before it's too late.

citoyen

« Reply #236 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »
Commentators reckon the first skid was because he was distracted by a Welsh flag, the wally.

Don't know what was his excuse for the second - nerves after the first one, perhaps.

d.

« Reply #237 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:12:42 pm »
In his defence another 5 bikes in the peloton have now fallen on same corner.  Looks like there may be something on the road at the bend - possibly oil with sand.

« Reply #238 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:14:18 pm »
Road surface looks like the old photos from 1920's & 1930's.

« Reply #239 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:23:11 pm »
Maybe it was Mousse du Vache ?

« Reply #240 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:58:46 pm »
Any sightings of Rigoberto Uran?  With no Wiggins to look after, and Geraint up front to help him later, there's a good chance for him to show us what he's made of.

« Reply #241 on: 14 July, 2011, 03:05:15 pm »
Went for  a pee and returned to find Thomas leading the climb at La Mongie .

Kelly says Thomas has a lead of 'torty' seconds over 'a number of riders'.  Not sure if I prefer Kelly or Sherwin but Eurosport ads are less obstructive than ITV4.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #242 on: 14 July, 2011, 03:10:29 pm »
Has to be Sherwin over Kelly:

"Well… well… welll… I t'ink, t'ink, t'ink, that, well, you know, he's, he's …"

Argh! Get on with it!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #243 on: 14 July, 2011, 03:11:23 pm »
If people can't get eurosport or ITV4 you can view ITV4 via TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again also available on mobile phones via wifi on TVCatchup Mobile  :thumbsup:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #244 on: 14 July, 2011, 03:19:09 pm »
You can watch ITV4 on their own website, and there's an ITV player iPhone app just released I believe.

citoyen

« Reply #245 on: 14 July, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »
OK, so I was wrong about Gilbert...

[edit: but he still finished outside the top 20, as predicted, so didn't make up any ground on Cav]

d.

« Reply #246 on: 14 July, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »
Perhaps the day's biggest hero was Pierre Rolland, who shepherded Tommy to the summit at Luz-Ardiden. The spotlight is obviously on the GC contenders, but the work done by riders like Rolland, the imperious Jens Voigt, Sylvester Szmyd and  a host of other domestiques is immeasurable.

Oh, and of course, Geraint is fantastic. On the cobbles last year, leading out the sprint a couple of days ago, and now smashing the field to pieces on the Tourmalet. The boy has it all, big chapeau to him.
#makewattsnotwar

citoyen

« Reply #247 on: 14 July, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »
Perhaps the day's biggest hero was Pierre Rolland, who shepherded Tommy to the summit at Luz-Ardiden. The spotlight is obviously on the GC contenders, but the work done by riders like Rolland, the imperious Jens Voigt, Sylvester Szmyd and  a host of other domestiques is immeasurable.

Rolland was very impressive. You could see how much his effort meant to Tommy V as they crossed the line. Szmyd did great too.

As for Jens... it sickens me that he's older than me and still riding like that.  ;D

d.

« Reply #248 on: 14 July, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »
As for Jens... it sickens me that he's older than me and still riding like that.  ;D

The shop team I used to ride with had a Grand Veteran (age 50+) category cross-country national champion on the roster, and he was as fast as the riders young enough to be his children!  8)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

gonzo

« Reply #249 on: 14 July, 2011, 08:28:30 pm »
One of my club mates is a many time vet world champion. He's over 65 and can kick my arse any time there's a sprint!