Author Topic: Post a photo of your bike and a ferry.  (Read 65153 times)

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
Re: Post a photo of your bike and a ferry.
« Reply #225 on: 09 July, 2018, 09:49:43 pm »
First cycle trip off GB, and also did a Krimpen crossing :) This be us aboard the waterbus.
It was a little confusing as the signboard didn't mention our preferred destination, and more than one boat used the stop! We met some helpful travellers though, and one was going to the same stop  ;D

Waterbus, Rotterdam by John Jackson, on Flickr

Later, amongst other ferries and bridges, we used this one:

Hand operated ferry by John Jackson, on Flickr

Of course it was on the "wrong" side and we had to winch it over before crossing.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #226 on: 09 July, 2018, 09:58:46 pm »

Hand operated ferry by John Jackson, on Flickr

Of course it was on the "wrong" side and we had to winch it over before crossing.

Where abouts is that ferry? It looks very similar to one near Oudekurk am de amstel?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #227 on: 09 July, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »

Round these parts it can be a challenge to find a decent bike ride that doesn't involve a ferry. Getting north of the Noordsee kanal I have an option of 4 different ferries, or a tiny path across the top of a lock gate. I tend to take a ferry.

However, these 2 photos are of a different trip, the first was the most expensive Dutch Ferry I've used from Vlissingen across the almost Belgium.

Then this next ferry was a surprise. Hadn't realised it was on the route, Annoyingly it only runs every 30 mins, so the guy running it just sits there staring at you across the river for 25 mins until finally coming to get you. Most annoying.

Somewhere in Belgium:

No photo of the bike on this ferry, but I ended up taking it after the bridge up stream was closed for construction work, and the ferry that replaces it stopped running at 2000... Had to wait for the captain to finish fishing before he decided to come collect me.

J
--

« Reply #228 on: 09 July, 2018, 10:12:41 pm »
Some little ferries:

Santander to Somo via Pedreña:

France to Germany across the Rhine:

Germany back to France:

Altrip to Mannheim (Germany):

Somwhere in the Netherlands:

Somewhere else in the Netherlands:

Yet more Netherlands:

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #229 on: 09 July, 2018, 10:15:36 pm »
Haz a jealous, and not only for Bobb's cool hair.... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #230 on: 09 July, 2018, 11:11:07 pm »
Kobus ferry on the canal between Bruges and Sluis. One of those hand operated jobbies.

IMG_0889_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #231 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:56:08 pm »

pic

Where abouts is that ferry? It looks very similar to one near Oudekurk am de amstel?

J

Very likely, as we were riding from Fort Spion to Sloten sport park for  Cycle Vision http://www.ligfiets.net/commissie/cyclevision/cyclevision2018.html

« Reply #232 on: 14 July, 2018, 06:03:12 pm »

The Jura Passenger Ferry from Tayvallich to Craighouse on the Isle of Jura.

Not cheap at £20, but quick and efficient. Comfortable seats, so I had a snooze!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #233 on: 14 July, 2018, 06:13:56 pm »
Haz a jealous, and not only for Bobb's cool hair.... ;)
Bobb also haz a cool bar bag and a cool bike.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #234 on: 16 July, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »
Bawdsey Ferry:-

18-07-02 Bawdsey Ferry 5 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #235 on: 01 August, 2018, 02:46:04 pm »
I think I need extra points for this!  Not only do you have my bike (far left on the roof rack), you have a wife, car and caravan plus added Costa Coffee cup goodness!  What do I win?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #236 on: 01 August, 2018, 03:08:35 pm »
what's the ferry/luggage ettiket when touring?

Leave it? Remove it? Remove valuables? I'm guessing no different from the concept of leaving a laptop in view in the back of a car?

All my valuables and electronica will be in separate drybags inside the main pannier, so easily removable
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #237 on: 01 August, 2018, 03:27:23 pm »

Leave it? Remove it? Remove valuables? I'm guessing no different from the concept of leaving a laptop in view in the back of a car?

All my valuables and electronica will be in separate drybags inside the main pannier, so easily removable

I think it's OK to leave luggage on your bike, I think its quite safe as I think the car deck is locked whilst the ferry is underway, although obviously other passengers are milling around during the embarking / embarkation process.  But, if you can carry your luggage easily then take it with you when you go upstairs.

Phil W

« Reply #238 on: 01 August, 2018, 04:00:41 pm »
Fowey ferry

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #239 on: 01 August, 2018, 04:11:45 pm »

I think it's OK to leave luggage on your bike, I think its quite safe as I think the car deck is locked whilst the ferry is underway, although obviously other passengers are milling around during the embarking / embarkation process.  But, if you can carry your luggage easily then take it with you when you go upstairs.
What about security on cross-channel ferries? There seem to be occasional tales of cycle tourists having their panniers searched and camping equipment – gas cannisters, swiss army knives – being confiscated. But possibly this is just people being alarmist.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #240 on: 01 August, 2018, 04:59:13 pm »
There are a couple of threads on the CTC forums about over-zealous checks and confiscation of penknives etc. - it seems Portsmouth has a particular allotment of jobsworths (but that is obviously anecdotal). Most ferry T&C's prohibit you from having knives and gas canisters in the passenger areas, so if you're carrying your panniers up to your cabin you're probably technically in breach, but it's not like anyone will ever check.

On the Harwich-Hook ferry last month there weren't any routine checks, and most cyclists took their bags up to the cabin with them, but a couple of the fully loaded tourers left some on the bike (I presume they just grabbed valuables and clothes/toiletries). That was an overnight sailing, mind - for a daytime one I'd have thought there'd be more left on the bike.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #241 on: 01 August, 2018, 05:20:47 pm »
I'm doing three hops on Calmac, nothing longer than 2 hours so removing luggage entirely would be somewhat faffy

Hopefully no customs checks  O:-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #242 on: 01 August, 2018, 06:07:19 pm »
My pannier arrangement is such that the front panniers contain valuables, tools, quick-access clothing, and all the food stuff.  Which covers most of what I'm likely to want access to during a shorter ferry crossing, and (with the exception of fuel bottle mounted on the bike[1]) anything security are likely to be interested in.

The big panniers with tent, sleeping bag/mat, spare clothing, wash things, etc. stay on the bike.  Unless it's an overnight sailing where I'd go to the effort to bring all four to the cabin so I have access to the extra clothes and wash things.  I'll also not bother removing pump, lights, etc.

Security (looked like army types, rather than customs) were actively searching vehicles when I went through Dunkirk a couple of years ago.  They complimented my usual bike and waved me through.  I think they're more interested in hidden humans than penknives etc.

[1] Seems likely that if a sniffer dog is going to get interested in something, it's going to be this, and having it exposed saves having your panniers explored.  Not sure what the actual rules on alcohol/paraffin/LPG/etc are, but I expect the law of unusualness means that half a litre of meths is an explosion risk that will kill everyone utterly to DETH, but petrol-fuelled vehicles with hot engines and active electrical systems are completely harmless.

« Reply #243 on: 06 August, 2018, 05:20:09 pm »
...[1] Seems likely that if a sniffer dog is going to get interested in something, it's going to be this, and having it exposed saves having your panniers explored.  Not sure what the actual rules on alcohol/paraffin/LPG/etc are, but I expect the law of unusualness means that half a litre of meths is an explosion risk that will kill everyone utterly to DETH, but petrol-fuelled vehicles with hot engines and active electrical systems are completely harmless.
Last time I checked you were allowed up to 0.5litre meths in a proper bottle on the car deck (I checked before travelling) with ferry company after looking up international marine rules which seemed to indicate that.... Was accepted on the ro ro ferry to York Rally.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #244 on: 06 August, 2018, 10:04:07 pm »

Had a short pootle around yesterday to pick up some more tiles for veloviewer, and in so doing, used a self operated ferry.

Wasn't alone on the ferry, a couple of locals got very confused with how it operated and we got the chain knotted up in the middle of the river, blocking other boats. Had to fix it to get us moving again.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #245 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:26:31 pm »
I'm doing three hops on Calmac, nothing longer than 2 hours so removing luggage entirely would be somewhat faffy

Hopefully no customs checks  O:-)

If it's a "major" unit, Argyle, Bute, the Loch Nevis or Loch Portain then the car deck is locked while at sea; I tend to keep anything I'll want while on board in my bar bag anyway so shove the shoulder strap on it and crack on for the mariners.

If it's any other double ended  landing craft then you're allowed to stay with the vehicle (anything scheduled for under an hour apparently) all you can do on them is sit in one of the passenger "lounges" or go up on top of it though so once you've crossed the pursers hand with gold that's you done.

If it's still raining later I'll dig out some photos

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #246 on: 13 August, 2018, 08:31:44 pm »
Helston ferry (Either you can only see a link, or you can see the image too, I have no idea...)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlB7bV6RdTovgcEhf-YW-HjpbnUmAA

The other LeJog bike + ferry photos are pretty rubbish
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlB7bV6RdTovgb5yxkPUhnPzE5Fm8g

As are my hebridean trip ones
https://1drv.ms/a/s!AlB7bV6RdTovhrRDurH5IapxlbWHZw

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #247 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:13:59 pm »
OK so it's not yet possible to take your bike on it but here is the new Woolwich ferry Ben Woollacott on the north pier (Dame Vera Lynn is just out of shot on the southern pier).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #248 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »
The first one to post a photo of their bike on a Seaborne Freight ferry[1] wins the internet...

[1] I'm expecting Deliveroo gear and/or creative use of Photoshop.

« Reply #249 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:17:22 pm »
Not so much "of my bike and a ferry" as them sidling into the edge of the picture, but, here they are on the Exemouth - Starcross ferry in the summer.