Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL and Strava  (Read 3761 times)

[LEL17] LEL and Strava
« on: 16 April, 2017, 07:16:08 pm »
What the consensus on riding multi day events such as LEL and how you record it on something like Strava. Do you stitch the files together to make one long ride, do the rides between your sleeping patterns, midnight to midnight or other?

My last 600 ride I did as 2 separate days of riding but I know many do not.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: LEL and Strava
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2017, 07:29:35 pm »
My Etrex 30 automatically cuts continuous rides into daily chunks. That suits me fine.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2017, 08:19:29 pm »
There is no consensus , do whatever you like.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »
if you are in some kind of challenge group like the 100 miles one then they have rules on what rides are eligible

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:48:23 pm »
I'm tempted to do both - uploading during sleep stops then gluing it all together at the end. If you change the original uploads to something non-cycling your annual mileage will be correct and you'll keep the original kudos and comments.

if you are in some kind of challenge group like the 100 miles one then they have rules on what rides are eligible

Their monthly long ride challenge is 100 km each month *. Hopefully you'll manage that between sleep stops!

(* though the challenge leaderboard is per upload)

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2017, 11:45:44 pm »
If there's no serious sleeping involved I prefer to stitch all bits together and upload it as one big ride. It certainly feels like one big ride.
I already have the habit of downloading the tracks from my etrex so it's no extra hassle.

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:40:48 pm »
If there's no serious sleeping involved I prefer to stitch all bits together and upload it as one big ride. It certainly feels like one big ride.
I already have the habit of downloading the tracks from my etrex so it's no extra hassle.

What do you use to stitch them together? (gpx file luddite here)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:48:20 pm »
You can stitch tracks together with basecamp or mapsource and there is this web based option that works well http://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2017, 09:38:36 am »

Indeed, basecamp or mapsource. I prefer Mapsource. Also great if you want to delete a small part of your track (for example a detour for visiting a friend and you don't want to expose his location).

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »
My Garmin crashed twice on Saturday doing the Skeggy ride. Looked in the history on the Garmin unit and I thought all was lost. I may of even swore.

Thankfully when I plugged it into the PC this morning the FIT files were saved. I stitched them together using  https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top  not the first time that website has saved the day.

No idea why the unit crashed, I saved at 200km and had the routes loaded for each control. It was loading one that made it crash.

Thinking for LEL I'll save at each control stop and stitch them together as individual days when I get home. 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2017, 02:23:21 pm »

Notepad  :P

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »

Notepad  :P

Same here for GPX files just paste the relevant data in using the first and last 'trkseg' points (happy to give more details if you want but it's pretty straightforward)

As for the question about whether it's one or multiple rides ... if it's a 1400km audax and it gets completed within the specified time then I will upload as one ride to Strava and/or RWGPS

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »
I will upload and reset garmin at every control. Not fussed about having it as one ride, more concerned about the garmin throwing a wobbler at some point and losing it all. This way I know that every 100km or so is stored on my garmin connect and Strava account. I can then mess about with them when I get home if I get the urge.
But I probably won't.