Author Topic: Garmin Edge 205 questions  (Read 3488 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Garmin Edge 205 questions
« on: 23 October, 2008, 09:52:53 am »
Considering the Garmin Edge 205 is available for under £40, I'm quite interested and I have a few questions:

1. Can I use online mapping or Google Earth to plot rides in advance, transfer them to the 205 and then follow them on the bike - I'm mainly thinking Audax rides here?

2. Can I recording rides and then convert them so they're visible on something like Google Maps (not, Google Earth - I want these to be visible on the web without additional software)?

3. Any basic gotchas like crap battery life or screen or anything like that, bearing in mind the cheap price. I know there are going to be bigger/faster/better models but will the 205 do the job?

a great mind thinks alike

Re: Garmin Edge 205 questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:11:15 am »
1. You can but you need to load the 205 with a tcx, course, file. Bikeroute toaster can do this but I think you'll be limited for way/route points.

2. Yes.

3. Of the three I owned I never got over nine hours life. I resorted to an external battery pack connected with a USB cable.

On the whole I recommend the Edge 605 as it has maps, can handle gpx files, better screen, better battery life, I've done 12 1/2 hours and a friend has tested his 705 to 15 hours.

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:24:57 am »
So the 605 is about 250 squid - are there any other extras that you have to get to make it work properly and if so how much?

Also, can you update maps for free and stuff as and when they get updated?

I wanna get me a gps, but I'm a bit of a dunce on the subject!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:32:19 am »
So the 605 is about 250 squid - are there any other extras that you have to get to make it work properly and if so how much?

Also, can you update maps for free and stuff as and when they get updated?

I wanna get me a gps, but I'm a bit of a dunce on the subject!
The maps are seperate so get a package which includes the maps. The base map on the unit only really displays main roads and not all of them either. I got mine with Garmins NT Europe map.
Map updates are not free but there are free maps that you can download and use. I know they exist but I don't use them so have no idea how good they are. Unit software updates are free.

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:33:21 am »
1. Can I use online mapping or Google Earth to plot rides in advance, transfer them to the 205 and then follow them on the bike - I'm mainly thinking Audax rides here?

Yes, I use bikely.  But, I wrote my own software to convert the .gpx file output by bikely to a .tcx file.  This allows you to have up to 13,000 points (IIRC).  My software also converts the named waypoints in the .gpx file to another .gpx file, which you can then upload to the 205.
It works well on the road but is a bit techy to use, it being a Python program.  I'm happy to send it to you, for free.
I also plan on doing some work on it when I get a minute to add turning icons for junctions, etc. and to minimise the number of points in the course, based on angular change over distance.

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:36:51 am »
I got mine with Garmins NT Europe map.

How detailed are they? Having done a quick Google, it would seem *buying* updated maps is not necessary  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:40:00 am »
I got mine with Garmins NT Europe map.

How detailed are they? Having done a quick Google, it would seem *buying* updated maps is not necessary  :P
As good as a google/OS landranger combination with added points of interest like cafes, stations, shops, garages, some pubs, supermarkets, ATMs, banks, etc.

Edit: The NT maps don't have contours.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2008, 05:42:23 pm »
Considering the Garmin Edge 205 is available for under £40

See the other thread.  If you can actually buy one for under £40, I'd like to know, because I think Currys/PC World are making it up  >:(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »
Considering the Garmin Edge 205 is available for under £40

See the other thread.  If you can actually buy one for under £40, I'd like to know, because I think Currys/PC World are making it up  >:(

Which reminds me, I am still waiting to here back from the e-mail I sent my local Trading Standards and from Currys....

« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2008, 06:03:49 pm »
You really don't need a GPS with maps for riding routes planned in advance such as Audaxes.

I've done 30 odd Audaxes (up to and including a 600) using a GPS (Garmin eTrex) for navigation with no maps. I just use one routepoint per routesheet instruction. Alternatively you can draw the route as a track and filter it down to the maximum number of trackpoints (usually 500) that you can upload as a track.

For the last 5 or 6 Audaxes I haven't even had the routesheet on my handlebars (but I'll always carry it in my pocket just in case, and I'll always carry a 1:250,000 map covering the area.)

The only question is the maximum number of routepoints/routes you can shove in a Garmin Edge 205.

You can get Garmin eTrex H's (the basic yellow one like I have) for under £50 although the data cable is another £20 or so from eBay.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2008, 06:55:56 pm »
How detailed are they?

People seem to use the word 'detailed' in different ways.  I see people describe OS 1:50,000 as 'detailed' - and yet I don't see any street names on there.  They are also described as 'accurate' but some road junctions are only pinned down to within 200 metres or so (admittedly that is good enough).  Now if people just called OS 'beautiful' I wouldn't have any argument at all ...

The Garmin maps can be previewed on their website - a clunky widget allows you to zoom in and out and scroll around any are you particularly want to check out.  Personally I think having most of W Europe at streetmap level on a memory card the size of my little fingernail is pretty cool.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #11 on: 02 December, 2008, 06:09:48 pm »
I resorted to an external battery pack connected with a USB cable

Does the device power itself continuously from the external pack, via the internal battery, or does the device run off the internal battery which then can be recharged on the go?

« Reply #12 on: 02 December, 2008, 06:27:09 pm »
I resorted to an external battery pack connected with a USB cable

Does the device power itself continuously from the external pack, via the internal battery, or does the device run off the internal battery which then can be recharged on the go?
I don't have the 205 anymore but I think both as it seemed to charge, with the pack, while being in use.