Author Topic: The North Coast Classic 600  (Read 517 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
The North Coast Classic 600
« on: 19 April, 2024, 01:59:02 pm »
Have finally sorted out my travel arrangements for this.  Going up, I couldn't get a cycle reservation on any train for Friday so am travelling up on Thursday - the benefit is to have a free day for a ride on Friday, before the event.

Going back, it seems impossible to get a cycle reservation on the Monday - it looks like there will be engineering works between Perth and Edinburgh that week, so I've booked an early train from Inverness to Perth and then a 5 hour gap to ride the 44 miles from Perth to Edinburgh (which I remember from the Mille Audax) before getting a train back south.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Re: The North Coast Classic 600
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2024, 09:40:44 pm »
In general the direct trains from Perth - Edinburgh aren't particularly fast. 

It often only takes marginally longer to go Perth - Edinburgh changing at Dunblane or Stirling. 

Maybe an option to keep up your sleeve after a 600. 

In fact if the Line from Perth - Edinburgh via Ladybank is closed maybe your train from Inverness will continue south of Perth to at least Stirling (from memory not many trains from north of Perth terminate there). 

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2024, 08:16:01 am »
@CET, travelling South Mon 1st July? I can’t see the engineering works on that date on the Network Rail website. I do see cycle-bookable trains for INV-EDB arriving at 1248 & 1328 on the Scotrail website.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2024, 09:11:00 am »
Your thread has inspired me to post some pics from the 2022 running. I hope you get the full Simmer Dim experience!

IMG_4222 by Murun Buchstansangur, on Flickr

IMG_4223 by Murun Buchstansangur, on Flickr

The second photo was about 11:30 at 'night'...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2024, 09:47:27 am »
And from the 2019 running, a PBP qualifier...

Some pics from the North Coast 600. by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2024, 08:57:38 pm »
@CET, travelling South Mon 1st July? I can’t see the engineering works on that date on the Network Rail website. I do see cycle-bookable trains for INV-EDB arriving at 1248 & 1328 on the Scotrail website.

Maybe it has changed - there wasn't anything when I made the booking.  Will check again = thank you.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)