Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210747 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #650 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:31:34 am »
Red flashing light on a bike. Coming towards me. WTF? I think I prefer the unlit ones.
These seem to go in and out of fashion. We had a couple around here a year or so ago : reversed red/white - I don't know if someone had a word, or natural events took their course. Around the same time Mrs M had words (as best she could) with a newly arrived cycling person from the middle east who seemed to assume it was normal (red at the front, no rear)

Sent from my P01W using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #651 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:58:43 am »
The closing speed on most folk equipped with a red front light isn't much different to them being stopped. Given that you don't want to run into anything with a red light attached, regardless of its direction of motion or lack of same, is there a huge difference? Assuming you don't aim to skim past by veering at the last moment, of course.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #652 on: 07 January, 2018, 10:08:56 am »
Round here (country lanes with hedges on both sides) it can be confusing as to where the road is. You assume that the red light must be on the left-hand side of the road so start to move right. It's usually just a moment's confusion and usually sorts out, but adding to the thinking time of other road users is really not terribly clever,
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #653 on: 07 January, 2018, 10:17:43 am »
Round here (country lanes with hedges on both sides) it can be confusing as to where the road is. You assume that the red light must be on the left-hand side of the road so start to move right. It's usually just a moment's confusion and usually sorts out, but adding to the thinking time of other road users is really not terribly clever,
That is why cars have to park in the normal direction of traffic in many conditions. Not that the law is enforced.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #654 on: 07 January, 2018, 10:28:40 am »
Several countries require motor vehicles to be parked in the direction of travel. I was surprised when I first visited here that the UK allowed open slather.

« Reply #655 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:07:26 am »
The closing speed on most folk equipped with a red front light isn't much different to them being stopped. Given that you don't want to run into anything with a red light attached, regardless of its direction of motion or lack of same, is there a huge difference? Assuming you don't aim to skim past by veering at the last moment, of course.
When you want to turn right, the difference between a bike on the pavement going away from you, and a bike in the gutter coming towards you is significant.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #656 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:10:16 am »
Meh. What do you do about unlit potholes? I have headlights that show me stuff. I don't rely on indicators that may be incorrect (on cars or anything else).

« Reply #657 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:29:12 pm »
I don't rely on them either.
It's the 'what the hell is that...oh a bike with no/wrong lights' moment which takes away the concentration, unnecessarily.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #658 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:43:26 pm »

The difference is that if there's a only a red light ahead, you assume it's safe to stop.  More of a shared-use path problem than a road one.

I nearly ended up in a canal because of it once:  Entered a tunnel.  Darkness, other than the flashing red light ahead and the surface was dubious, so I stopped to let my eyes adjust.  Oncoming BSOist nearly plowed into me.  If it had been a white light I'd have moved to the side, or waited outside the portal.

At road-speed distances a light tends to be too small to have colour, so I don't make assumptions beyond "flashing light => pedal cycle"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #659 on: 07 January, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »
Several countries require motor vehicles to be parked in the direction of travel. I was surprised when I first visited here that the UK allowed open slather.

I was given a telling-off by a USAnian friend for parking the wrong way outside her house.  Though not serious enough for me to move the car...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #660 on: 07 January, 2018, 01:58:17 pm »

I was given a telling-off by a USAnian friend for parking the wrong way outside her house.  Though not serious enough for me to move the car...

Aren't we supposed to leave [one of] the sidelights on if we do this?  Not that anyone ever does, other than by accidentally leaving the indicators engaged.

« Reply #661 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:16:43 pm »
Meh. What do you do about unlit potholes? I have headlights that show me stuff. I don't rely on indicators that may be incorrect (on cars or anything else).
Sure, if I hit him it's my fault.  But when you're trying to turn across traffic, you get: car headlights - car headlights - car headlights - gap containing cyclist with dim flashing red light (in the gutter/pavement). First reaction is that he's on the pavement and that means there's a gap to get through before the next car. With someone paying attention they get a second look, which is enough to see they are approaching, and there is no gap. With someone paying a bit less attention...
It's not that other road users can't see this cyclist (urban setting, streetlights), it's that by using a red flashing light on the front (and riding in the gutter) they are actively confusing. I just don't understand - why would you go to the trouble of getting lights and then put the on the wrong way around?

« Reply #662 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:32:03 pm »
Aren't we supposed to leave [one of] the sidelights on if we do this?  Not that anyone ever does, other than by accidentally leaving the indicators engaged.
For ease of looking up I used my1970s Highway Code which refers to RTA1972 section 78
"You must not park your vehicle without lights at night: if the road is subject to a speed limit higher than 30mph; if you are parked other than nearside to the kerb (except in a one way street); or if you are within 15 yards of a road junction".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #663 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:48:12 pm »
Sure, if I hit him it's my fault.  But when you're trying to turn across traffic, you get: car headlights - car headlights - car headlights - gap containing cyclist with dim flashing red light (in the gutter/pavement). First reaction is that he's on the pavement and that means there's a gap to get through before the next car. With someone paying attention they get a second look, which is enough to see they are approaching, and there is no gap. With someone paying a bit less attention...
It's not that other road users can't see this cyclist (urban setting, streetlights), it's that by using a red flashing light on the front (and riding in the gutter) they are actively confusing. I just don't understand - why would you go to the trouble of getting lights and then put the on the wrong way around?
I think it's for the same reason that some motorcyclists put purple or pink perspex over their headlights (which they remove at night) – to attract attention by being unusual.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #664 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:52:52 pm »
I think it's for the same reason that some motorcyclists put purple or pink perspex over their headlights (which they remove at night) – to attract attention by being unusual.
If it were green or pink or purple, then it would definitely merit a second look.
Red is a tail light. Putting it on the front isn't unusual and attracting attention, it's normal, but being used out of context, and therefore, in my view dangerous. And this was at night. ;)

« Reply #665 on: 07 January, 2018, 03:02:45 pm »

It's both side lights, and the number plate light(s) in the UK. One side only won't comply with UK law.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #666 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »
If it were green or pink or purple, then it would definitely merit a second look.
Red is a tail light. Putting it on the front isn't unusual and attracting attention, it's normal, but being used out of context, and therefore, in my view dangerous. And this was at night. ;)
Let's not pursue this reasoning or we'll see a return to the days of flashing amber lights. "Have I got time to pull out before that car gets here? Yes, they're turning left. Oh shit, that wasn't an indicator, it was a bike light!" :hand:

« Reply #667 on: 07 January, 2018, 05:04:06 pm »
Let's not pursue this reasoning or we'll see a return to the days of flashing amber lights. "Have I got time to pull out before that car gets here? Yes, they're turning left. Oh shit, that wasn't an indicator, it was a bike light!" :hand:
Exactly. Why is an amber light dangerous?  Because it means something else in normal road use. Just like red means the back of a vehicle. And flashing blue is going to get you into trouble! ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #668 on: 07 January, 2018, 05:13:02 pm »
Ultraviolet rear lights, on the other hand, are at least unambiguously weird.  (Spotted onna pavement cyclist in King[']s Heath - one of those dodgy-banknote-identification LED torches gaffer-taped to the seatpost  ???)

« Reply #669 on: 07 January, 2018, 05:21:35 pm »
I realize this may be going slightly off topic but regarding the lights I nearly took out a motorcyclist a few months back. It's hard to explain but the headlight looked very much like a car one viewed side on. I look and think that's a car at the roundabout so plenty of time to pull away. Thankfully something just seemed wrong so checked again and saw the bike approaching me.

simonp

« Reply #670 on: 18 January, 2018, 10:23:04 am »
Good one today, bombing down narrow pavement, like he was in a downhill race, weaving around a lamp post then around me.

I may have called him something.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #671 on: 11 February, 2018, 04:44:16 pm »
Multiple. Well, 3 to be precise.

Ok, so I'm a 57 year old man wearing warm overtrousers struggling into a headwind on a 15 year old Ridgeback. With mudguards.

You three are clearly much younger, much fitter, wearing skintight bibsuits and chasing each other up the hill on carbon fuck-me-how-much bikes. I know that, there's no need to rub it in by passing me with a foot clearance with not such much as a raised Le Col encased hand, let alone a friendly greeting to cheer me on a cold climb.

Arrogant cocks.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #672 on: 14 February, 2018, 11:31:26 am »
^ well said Handers.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #673 on: 16 February, 2018, 09:17:10 am »
When you want to turn right, the difference between a bike on the pavement going away from you, and a bike in the gutter coming towards you is significant.

In France, in the sticks, on a couple of occasions I have met cyclists coming towards me on the wrong side of the road.  The closing speed is very alarming.  On cycle tracks I Impose My Will on them and force them to take the right side :demon:  The alternative is that little dance pedestrians do. 

Multiple. Well, 3 to be precise.

Ok, so I'm a 57 year old man wearing warm overtrousers struggling into a headwind on a 15 year old Ridgeback. With mudguards.

You three are clearly much younger, much fitter, wearing skintight bibsuits and chasing each other up the hill on carbon fuck-me-how-much bikes. I know that, there's no need to rub it in by passing me with a foot clearance with not such much as a raised Le Col encased hand, let alone a friendly greeting to cheer me on a cold climb.

Arrogant cocks.

Cycling in the Alps or Pyrenees on lonely roads I have often been passed like I am standing still by people who are cyclists of a high order, if not pros (they have support vehicles at the top).  I am no longer surprised to get a friendly wave as they shoot by.  It's the wannabees who have no manners. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #674 on: 16 February, 2018, 11:58:53 am »
In India, in a big city, I regularly met cyclists, motorcyclists, tractors, car drivers and horse carts coming towards me on the wrong side of the road. The closing speed was low and the general tendency is for the wrong-sider to keep nearer the kerb. Bus drivers only go the wrong side on country roads and camel riders seem uniquely to keep to the correct side.