Author Topic: yACF Southern Tandem Ride  (Read 15545 times)

Re: yACF Southern Tandem Ride
« Reply #50 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:03:39 pm »
 :) :) :)

What a fun day. Much fun, good company and fine steeds in wonderful weather.

Charlotte & Liz's new machine is much fun. Joth & I were tempted to try and sneak off with it, but the fear of retribution was too great (and Charlotte would have been stuck wearing Joth's sandals). Thank-you very much for letting us have a try though :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope to see you all again soon,

Things

California Dreaming

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:26:48 pm »
Phew.  Back home and getting outside the second cup of tea of the day.  We may have to rename this thread the "hanging about, fiddling with bikes and not going very fast ride", but I really enjoyed myself nonetheless.

I think Graham should have some rather splendid photos for us all in a few hours, as will Liz, so I shall merely say thank you all for coming along and for your fine company.  That ice cream was jolly well deserved, I thought.

Oh, and a special thank you Martin109's lady friend for letting me have a go on her fabulous Newton tricycle.

Sorry about the two wheel thing...   :-[
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #52 on: 08 June, 2008, 09:34:30 pm »
Some pictures here.

Lots of fun.  Thank you everyone for coming along, and also for making my friend Catriona welcome on her first ride over 15 miles.  :thumbsup:

I heart our new tandem.

:D

« Reply #53 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:02:12 pm »
Thanks for a pleasant afternoon which for me involved pootling round the Great Park to Windsor for an Ice cream, watching some village cricket, crossing the Great Park to the pub, back across the Great Park to Windsor desperately trying to hold the wheel of a tandem (Things on the new one or Zipperhead and Liz on Margret Hilda) fixed tops out before a tandem even if it only has nine gears, more ice cream and finally back through the Great Park home. So 20 miles ~ 15 of which had no cars to worry about.  :D

I heart our new tandem.

:D

And I suspect so does Emma and Joth  ;)

Matthew

« Reply #54 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »
Firstly, thank you to the tandemistas for granting me day membership to your exclusive circle.

The day was spiffing and memorable for a number of reasons, starting with an early morning E to W jaunt across London to the RV point at Spankers Hill Wood.

Butterfly’s hat (and outfit). Both of which would’ve easily afforded her admission to any wedding reception, had we passed one.

The chance encounter with Emily and Peli atop Spankers Hill as we waited for the arrival of the tandemistas, while they were off to do something to the hills of Surrey.

The sexiness of Liz n’ Charlottes’s Santana. The engineering detail has to be seen in the metal – pics don’t do it enough justice. ‘Tis a very lovely thing.

Hooning like loons around the Diana Fountain in Bushey Park – can we do that again please?
So’s this time I can catch the tandems? ;)

Liz’s friend Catriona – for going the distance, despite (allegedly) having been misled by 50% about the distance, and being on a bicycle which (following a 200m jaunt on it) Butterfly commented along the lines of “I think I’d be looking to kill someone if I’d had to spend the day riding this…..”
Well done Catriona.

The number of times I heard Thing 1 say on descent “We can’t stop here – this is tandem country”. :thumbsup:

Graham's fettling interludes - which allowed me to seek cool shelter in the shadows of trees and elsewhere.

Martin109 friend's extraordinary machine in the early evening sunshine.

Oh yes – unless anyone tells me otherwise – a total lack of moton abuse.

Thanks guys for a great day out. 55 miles door to door.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #55 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:31:47 pm »
It was great fun - thank you thank you thank you all.

Butterfly did look fabulous, and I felt desperately underdressed :-[  Perhaps I should have hired that kilt again....?

The Santana was well worth celebrating, too. :)

We got a train from Staines to Richmond* on the way home, then trundled along happily.

Great to see Jurek unexpectedly (again!) - I think he's a natural shepherd, given the way he looks after trailing riders with patience and care. :thumbsup:

Catriona was good fun & good company, and I think she had fun trying out stoking ;D

Hooning around the lake in the Park was fantastic!  Shame we had to pause a couple of times to give way to cars (not that we'd have been able to keep C'n'L's wheel even if we had kept going)

And descending into Windsor was fun - as was riding in a peloton of four tandems at around 20mph from Windsor to Staines.

Big :thumbsup: to SouthWest Trains for not batting an eyelid about letting two tandems on a crowded trains; for providing (and advertising) covered and CCTV'd cycle parking at Richmond; and for providing a level exit from Richmond station.

* We bought tickets to Barnes, but got on a train that wasn't going to stop there :-[
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:33:22 pm »
I think myself accursed...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #57 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:36:07 pm »
You tandemistas were spotted by Catriona and myself from the windows of a London-bound SouthWest train, as we traversed a level crossing in Windsor.
While you all waited. :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:41:56 pm »
Oh cool!  We paused briefly for a train, but it hadn't occurred to me you might be on board.  I should've done a Jenny Agutter and waved me hankie ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #59 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:46:04 pm »

The chance encounter with Emily and Peli atop Spankers Hill as we waited for the arrival of the tandemistas, while they were off to do something to the hills of Surrey.

How funny to bump into you all! The first thought to pop into my head on spotting the party (at the point where Emily was ripping my legs off up Spankers Hill) was "Ooh, look, there's a lady off to a wedding... funny place to get hitched"  ???.

Sounds like you had a great outing! Emilio and I had a lovely ride out to the Surrey hills, where she continued to rip my legs off. We did over 50 miles in about 3.5 hours, including a few nasty lumps.

Does the new tandem have a name, yet?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:47:24 pm »
Oh cool!  We paused briefly for a train, but it hadn't occurred to me you might be on board.  I should've done a Jenny Agutter and waved me hankie ;)

Thank God you weren't thinking of An American Werewolf in London. :-X
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #61 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:11:29 pm »
That was fantastic fun. :D It was a lovely surprise to see Emily and Peli in the park. The beautiful black Santana :-* :-* :-*. Fantastic job from Catriona on the less than ideal bike when she was unaware of the distance of the excursion. :thumbsup: Bushey Park and Windsor Great Park were wonderful and the weather was superb. Ducklings, goslings, damsel flies, dear and the sky larks we could hear but not see :). Beautiful flowers along the way - thousands of roses, rhododendrons and some fragrant honeysuckle. Reaching Ben and Jerry's just in time to finish up their stocks - nom nom nom. Thanks to Martin's Lady friend for the ride on her marvelous trike. Cruising at 20 miles per hour in a line of 4 tandems. Two tandems on a train and finally riding home over-taking a Lotus, a Porshe, a Mercedes SL and lots of other vehicles stuck in traffic - I told them we were faster than them. :P Lots of smiles and waves all day. 8)

Super, super, super day. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #62 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:14:21 pm »

« Reply #63 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:26:41 pm »
It looks like a great day and Butterfly looks glam indeed!

I was vaguely tempted to come and be a solo interloper, but did not hold out much hope of keeping up with a brace of tandems (especially on the downhills!)  ;D

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #64 on: 09 June, 2008, 04:48:47 pm »
You tandemistas were spotted by Catriona and myself from the windows of a London-bound SouthWest train, as we traversed a level crossing in Windsor.
While you all waited. :D

Excellent! I was looking out for you, and made out some bikes on board, but I may have forgotten to maintain the wildly optimistic wave at the grubby windows.

The number of times I heard Thing 1 say on descent “We can’t stop here – this is tandem country”. Thumbs Up
;D ;D Sometimes tandeming on rolling roads just demands silliness.

Great day out. Many many thanks C&L for arranging it, and letting us play on their newest.

On the downside, having spent all weekend cycling, I'm now constantly peckish. And our kitchen has just been stocked up with Cadbury's Cream Eggs (!). I'm not sure how long I will be able to resist.......  :-\ >:(  :D  ::-)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #65 on: 09 June, 2008, 05:07:59 pm »
It looks like a great day and Butterfly looks glam indeed!

I was vaguely tempted to come and be a solo interloper, but did not hold out much hope of keeping up with a brace of tandems (especially on the downhills!)  ;D

You'd have been fine!

The 30 miles out to Windsor took us 7 hours!  :D

(Okay, that included fettling stops, rest stops, beer stop, food stop, photo stops, biscuit stops... you get the idea)

The 30 miles back took me & C. 1hr 50 mins.  ;D