Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 843618 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #4850 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:52:44 pm »
Ooh, ooh, the new Inspector McLean was released and delivered to my kindle today which was a nice surprise :)

Just this minute finished it.

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4851 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
Just finished The Long Walk as part of my Stephen King-athon.

(click to show/hide)

Having a bit of a break from Constant Reading with The Devil of Nanking (aka Tokyo) by Mo Hayder.  So far so good.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4852 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:34:44 pm »
The Shepherd's Crown (Terry Pratchett). TP is enjoying a renaissance with me, after a gap of about 10 years.

Some are better than others (I still think Going Postal was the one I enjoyed most), but this one is doing very nicely for the moment.

Except,

(click to show/hide)

Nevertheless -  :thumbsup: so far.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

fuzzy

« Reply #4853 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:42:46 pm »
Rekindling my techno thriller junkie mode and starting Tom Clacy again with The Hunt For Red October.

I know Patriot Games is firswt in the timeline but THFRO was the first Jack Ryan novel I believe.

« Reply #4854 on: 07 March, 2017, 08:54:16 am »
The Land Where Lemons Grow - Helena Attlee

A history of citrus fruit in Italy, Utterly fascinating and makes me want to go to Sicily in the spring.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4855 on: 07 March, 2017, 01:58:24 pm »
Blackass by A Igoni Barrett.

Nigerian man has a job interview, wakes up on the morning of the interview to discover he is suddenly white.

I am currently reading The Miniaturist, after a Goodreads recommendation from that Eccentrica Gallumbits.  It's very good :)
I am hoping for a sequel.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4856 on: 07 March, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »
The Mechanical by one Ian Tregillis.  Alternate history: Dutch Empire vs New France with clockwork golemish automata and epoxy. Intriguing and well-written, though brought up short occasionally by interweb-age grammatical horrors of the lay/lie variety.

The missus is reading a bio of Darwin, whose English is delightful.  Those Victorian chappies' English was really elegant.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4857 on: 07 March, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »
The Mechanical by one Ian Tregillis.  Alternate history: Dutch Empire vs New France with clockwork golemish automata and epoxy. Intriguing and well-written, though brought up short occasionally by interweb-age grammatical horrors of the lay/lie variety.

The missus is reading a bio of Darwin, whose English is delightful.  Those Victorian chappies' English was really elegant.

I read his "Milkweed" trilogy, English characters in a WW2 setting, he doesn't quite get the use of British English right.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4858 on: 07 March, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »
I'm reading the 2nd in the Vera Stanhope series of crime novels by Ann Cleeves  (her wot also writes the Shetland novels).

After that I may read the new Inspector McLean...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4859 on: 07 March, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »
Francis Spufford's _Golden Hill_: mysterious young stranger with a credit note for huge riches turns up in 18th-c. New York. Took me about 30-40 pages to get into it, but as I really rate Spufford's non-fiction I persevered, and am now greatly enjoying it.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4860 on: 08 March, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »
Blackass by A Igoni Barrett.

Nigerian man has a job interview, wakes up on the morning of the interview to discover he is suddenly white.

I am currently reading The Miniaturist, after a Goodreads recommendation from that Eccentrica Gallumbits.  It's very good :)
I am hoping for a sequel.

Sort of 'Watermelon Man' but in reverse . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4861 on: 10 March, 2017, 06:28:38 pm »
Just finished reading book 2 of the inspector McLean series and have book 3 cued up.
(click to show/hide)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4862 on: 10 March, 2017, 07:40:45 pm »
Just finished reading book 2 of the inspector McLean series and have book 3 cued up.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #4863 on: 15 March, 2017, 01:26:46 pm »
Just finished "Europe in Winter" the latest in Dave Hutchinson's Fractured Europe series of novels. There will be a fourth and final book in the series apparently but no release date as yet.
The whole series is brilliant. Fantastic writing. Set in a near future Europe where the EU has broken up into micro states. No SF gizmos really but more of a feel of John le Carrie novel with some weird stuff about topology and maps. Oh and lots about restaurants and food. Highly recommended.

On Hutchinsons Twitter..

So, the Europe books have been been acquired by film director Anand Tucker’s UK TV production company Seven Stories, backed by All3 Media.

« Reply #4864 on: 21 March, 2017, 01:09:44 pm »
"Darktown" by Thomas Mullen. Set in Atlanta in 1948, and based on the true story of the cities first 8 black police officers, the eponymous darktown being their beat. Well written, and historically interesting, albeit sickening in it's depiction of casual racism, some of which no doubt remains today.  One interesting (to me) snippet, the local politicians were Democrats, the Republicans being the party of Lincoln, emancipator of slaves.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4865 on: 21 March, 2017, 06:21:00 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Even better than that dear, I read my first Val McDermid recently, The Distant Echo. Set initially in St Andrews, where I spent an unhappy year at uni, featuring four guys from Kirkcaldy High School, where I spent six years, some of the action in Glenrothes, where I grew up. Even Kirriemuir, where I live now, gets a mention.
No, it's not biographical.  :hand:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #4866 on: 21 March, 2017, 07:05:18 pm »
Just finished "Europe in Winter" the latest in Dave Hutchinson's Fractured Europe series of novels. There will be a fourth and final book in the series apparently but no release date as yet.
The whole series is brilliant. Fantastic writing. Set in a near future Europe where the EU has broken up into micro states. No SF gizmos really but more of a feel of John le Carrie novel with some weird stuff about topology and maps. Oh and lots about restaurants and food. Highly recommended.

On Hutchinsons Twitter..

Thank you for that, I have just ordered the first in the series, and thank you to everyone who contributes on here lots of very valued reviews

So, the Europe books have been been acquired by film director Anand Tucker’s UK TV production company Seven Stories, backed by All3 Media.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4867 on: 21 March, 2017, 07:32:35 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Even better than that dear, I read my first Val McDermid recently, The Distant Echo. Set initially in St Andrews, where I spent an unhappy year at uni, featuring four guys from Kirkcaldy High School, where I spent six years, some of the action in Glenrothes, where I grew up. Even Kirriemuir, where I live now, gets a mention.
No, it's not biographical.  :hand:

Oh, I might give that one a look when I run out of books again then.

« Reply #4868 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:42:26 am »
Having a bit of a break from Constant Reading with The Devil of Nanking (aka Tokyo) by Mo Hayder.  So far so good.
Finished last night.  Highly recommended.  :D

« Reply #4869 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:27:34 am »
Currently re-reading William Gibson's "The Peripheral"

"Reality television. It merged with politics. Then with performance art." .......

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4870 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
Tennison ~ Lynda LaPlante.  This has been sitting on the "to-read" pile since well before ITV announced the existence of "Prime Suspect 1973", so I'm not sure which came first.  Ms LaPlante's prose thuds like AC/DC's Phil Rudd on Valium.

« Reply #4871 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:21:22 am »
Dodgers, by Bill Beverly.

"a literary thriller" Bit different to the last few I've read, mainly due to the language style, and am enjoying it more because of that I think. Makes me go slower and I find Im getting more of a picture of things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4872 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:02:40 pm »
Out Of Bounds ~ Val McDermid.  Fourth in the Karen Pirie series, which Thick Boy here didn't realise was a series until yesterday.

fuzzy

« Reply #4873 on: 06 April, 2017, 10:07:09 pm »
About to start A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms George RRRRRRRR Martin book set before GoT, telling tales of Aegon 'Egg' Targaryan.

« Reply #4874 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:45:54 am »
Sapiens, A brief history of humankind - Yuval Noah Harari

Excellent it should be required reading in all secondary schools. Covers what is real and imaginary in society as well as gender and racial politics. How the human race got here from being an upright ape in Africa.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.