Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228204 times)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #850 on: 05 February, 2017, 04:18:41 pm »
Black Sabbath at the O2 last Sunday on their final tour. I'd seen them a couple of times, but quite a while ago (1998 and 1999). Excellent show, all the classics which sounded as good as ever, but they're right to call it a day. Ozzy was pretty much rooted to his mic stand all night, and there was a lengthy drum solo from the nipper (a mere 36) Tommy Cufetos that seemingly existed only to give Ozzy, Geezer and Tony a quick mid-set break. Farewell chaps, thanks for all the riffs.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #851 on: 06 February, 2017, 07:02:31 am »
Last night, Leeds First Direct Arena, Green Day support by The Interrupters.

It was everything you would expect, loud, fast, full of energy. I loved it. Only bit I didn't like was being so far up I swear clouds were forming!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #852 on: 06 February, 2017, 07:38:18 pm »
Not exactly a gig, more of a show, but Stomp at the Uni. of Warwick Arts Centre. Everything including several kitchen sinks. If you get the chance, go and see it. Superb.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #853 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:17:20 pm »
Big Thief, at the Crescent.

Because Joe (everyone's favourite promoter) said that he'd disown the lot of us if we didn't go, and the SmallestCub's teacher saw my facebook last minute enquiry as to whether anyone fancied babysitting and suggested her teenager who, although not a great deal older than my teenager, has the significant advantage of not being the SC's brother making it therefore reasonably likely that I'd come home to find both chiddlers in one piece.

Which they were.

I liked Big Thief too, although I did leave before the end because I didn't want to keep someone else's teenager up too late on a school night.

fuzzy

« Reply #854 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:40:38 pm »
Hazel O'Connor at Kenton Theatre, henley on Thames last night.

Bloody great gig, many of the old classics from Breaking Glass plus much other stuff.

The old stuff was given a different vibe.A bit jazzy. Like the music had grown up. A lot of the set was chosen to compliment stories from her life. Wow, she has lived an Interesting life.

Her set included a gorgeous cover of Snow Patrols Chasing Cars.

Her band were Clare Hirst on sax and Sarah fisher on piano.

If you can get tickets to see her, do so :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #855 on: 19 March, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »
A double-gigger weekend.  Kathryn Williams at the Cluny 2 in Newcastle, and Otway in the Basement at York City Screen. 

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #856 on: 27 March, 2017, 08:33:17 pm »
Currently at the Church in Leeds: The Membranes are supporting The Jesus and Mary Chain. What year am I in?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #857 on: 27 March, 2017, 11:41:27 pm »
Currently at the Church in Leeds: The Membranes are supporting The Jesus and Mary Chain. What year am I in?
Saw the Membranes supporting Therapy? last year, jolly good they were too. Had I not been sick, I'd have enjoyed them supporting Killing Joke in November.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #858 on: 27 March, 2017, 11:59:12 pm »
And last night, I saw Ghost at the Forum. Sunday worship of the loud kind. Most excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG4PQhMwkJk

« Reply #859 on: 28 March, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
Yorkston-Thorne-Khan in York.

I want a sarangi.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #860 on: 28 March, 2017, 11:30:44 pm »
T'was rather splendid, wasn't it?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #861 on: 01 April, 2017, 01:58:20 pm »
Thursday, Devon Sproule (Baby Copperhead supporting) at the basement. Joe, everyone's favourite promoter, stamped my hand for nowt so I felt honour bound to visit the merch desk. Ruthie - next time I see you you'll have a new band t-towel :D

Then last night a rather more raucous night when I took the EldestCub and one of his mates to the Brudenell to see King No-One (since he can't make their next York gig with the rest of his gang as we're away that night) thus  earning ALL the good mummy brownie points.  I can't take KNO seriously (keep wondering if I've ever taught any of 'em) but the assembled throng of teens and studes, including "my" two, were having a great time and I got a seat near the bar (with fab sightlines) and left them to it. Beer was decent and trains cooperated. Apparently it was said mate's first gig :D

« Reply #862 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:06:25 am »
Paul Weller at York Barbican. I'll say up front I'm not really a Weller fan but Mrs Aidan likes him.  Third time I've seen him now, First he was great ( but he played quite a few Jam songs which I knew)   Second time in Dalby Forest I thought he was a bit crap.  The other night he was really quite good and I enjoyed it  , he had two drummers , keyboard player, bass and another guitar player all who played really well together , I should imagine if you know lots of his songs then it would be excellent.

One note though , his audiences do seem to attract more than their fair share of knobheads :hand: 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #863 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:31:41 am »
Thursday - Lisa O'Neill, at the Brudenell.  All the strings!  A co-promoted gig by PPY (everyone's favourite promoter, Joe) and Hee Haw - which turned out to be the lady who once let us in to the Handsome Family because we'd travelled from York, even though we left our tickets behind in Darlington.  She remembered the incident too....   I'd bought the ticket as a 'random pick' and only realised afterwards that Lisa O'Neill was the irish singer who did some of the vocals on Y/T/K's first album.  Prime seat next to the merch desk, decent beer and fabulous music.  I missed the train back to Leeds to get a train back home but managed to avoid the taxi optin since everyone's favourite promoter was driving back to York and gave me a lift so it all worked out OK :)

Then last night, Orielles at the Fulford Arms.  Busy night,  I missed the first support completely, second support were a loud and lively bunch called Fat Spatula.  They were followed by MOM, an all female line-up apparently from Selby who had clearly brought their fan club in.  I quite liked 'em but they defintely lost points for their queue jumping in the loos later in the evening.

10:15 and time for the headliners and the 4 (!) tallest blokes in the room migrated to form a wall in front of me so I haven't got a scooby what the band look like.  Sounded decent though.  And did a track called 'liminal' which is one of my favourite words in the world. 

Decent night out for less than £15 - £6 for the ticket, a couple of quid for the couple of pints of lime and soda and the rest on buying a round for the bar staff :)

fuzzy

« Reply #864 on: 13 April, 2017, 11:39:36 pm »
Last night was Caro Emerald at The Royal Albert Hall. Wow, that girl can sing :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #865 on: 22 April, 2017, 10:06:46 am »
Last night at the Borderline, Laurence Jones.  Blues rock.  Top stuff.  Whole band looked like they were thoroughly enjoying themselves, which bass player Greg "The Quiff" Smith said was Trufax when we chatted to him afterwards.  Mr Jones professed himself surprised at the size of the audience given that Joe Bonamassa was playing the Albert Hall.  "Too expensive" shouted someone behind me.  'nuff said.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #866 on: 23 April, 2017, 12:41:27 am »
Withered Hand at the Cumberland Arms in Byker Ouseburn.

Brilliant - full band gig, upstairs at one of my favourite pubs, and a set that reminded me that I love so many of his songs.

Also supported by Dressed Like Wolves, who is getting better, and I enjoyed the bit of his set that we caught.  There was an entirely gratuitous guitar-tuning interlude which was eventually stopped by a random member of the audience - he walked up on stage and did some thing so quick and simple that I missed it. Nevertheless,  it solved the issue immediately - he obviously has The Knack.

A lovely night.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #867 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »
Last night the occasional band my sister is in put on a benefit for Langtang Valley in Nepal at St Luke's in Kingston.  First up were this lot.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #868 on: 01 May, 2017, 01:23:46 am »
Snarky Puppy

We like it here.

I like it when I am younger than most of the audience. Which was surprising.
It is simpler than it looks.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #869 on: 02 May, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »
Couple of weeks ago: Wilko Johnson. I'd never seen him live before so I was muchly looking forward to this gig. They didn't disappoint. Plus point was having a seat almost right above Norman Watt-Roy so I could watch the bass demi-god in action.

Last Friday: Caro Emerald. She was, of course, brilliant but I hope I don't upset fans when I report that my favourite part was when van der Leeuw was off stage and her band performed an incredible version of Duke Ellington's Caravan. Bonus points for coordinated dancing by sax, trumpet and guitar throughout.
Pen Pusher

fuzzy

« Reply #870 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:26:19 pm »
Couple of weeks ago: Wilko Johnson. I'd never seen him live before so I was muchly looking forward to this gig. They didn't disappoint. Plus point was having a seat almost right above Norman Watt-Roy so I could watch the bass demi-god in action.

Last Friday: Caro Emerald. She was, of course, brilliant but I hope I don't upset fans when I report that my favourite part was when van der Leeuw was off stage and her band performed an incredible version of Duke Ellington's Caravan. Bonus points for coordinated dancing by sax, trumpet and guitar throughout.

They are good aren't they :thumbsup:

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #871 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:56:21 am »
They are good aren't they :thumbsup:

Sorry Fuzzy, didn't see your post above :-[. Our venue wasn't quite as grand as the RAH (Ipswich Regent*) but still a bloody good gig.

* mind you, it's only half and hour away by car and we can park for a quid only 10 mins walk away :).
Pen Pusher

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #872 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:10:58 am »
Last night at the Green Note in Camden, the very splendid Hat Fitz & Cara Robinson, whom this Unit has endorsed hereabouts before.  Country blues-stylee Splendid from a gravel-voiced Aussie and an angel-voiced Irishwoman.  Plus they remembered my grate frend Mr Woolrich and me from their last Londonton gig fourteen months ago :thumbsup:  We dragged Miss von Brandenburg along this time; she says she'll go again, which is high praise indeed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

« Reply #873 on: 05 May, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »
Wednesday - Simon Joyner at the Crescent with That Deano, one of his audax chums and one of _his_ non-audax chums.  Splendid stuff, sufficiently so to get a new playlist created before bedtime and hammered all day at work yesterday.  I'd like to see a full band show now....

Then last night, Roxanne de Bastion at the basement where I was part of a very select audience or, as she described us, a very long wiggly front row.  2 supports, both young women singing prettily and playing a guitar (including one track they collaborated on).  A pinged string while retuning after that ("curse you Ellie and your silly tunings!") meant the second support ended up borrowing the headliner's guitar for almost her entire set.  Said headliner (who also took a turn on keyboards) was in the company of a bassist, a drummer, and a chap on keyboards/guitar depending on what R de B was playing.  T'was most lovely indeed and she has, I'm afraid, utterly convincingly evict Mr Joyner from today's listening.  Sweet, pretty, precise vocals and a rather glorious noise, very engaging performance and well worth trooping out when really far too knackered to go be Billy No Mates in a basement.  Mind, not completely no mates - I did get a hug from Joe (everyone's favourite promoter) when I was leaving.

I do tend to prefer female vocalists and am Quite Keen on being able to hear the words, which should be sung in a proper accent instead of silly shamerican, so a line-up of three women all with All The Words and wonderful diction and on the whole some interesting stuff to sing about was a fine treat.  Especially onna Thursday for a fiver.

Tonight will make it three in a row - Chriss T-T in Leeds, as I need to introduce the teenager to him before Mr T-T quits at the end of this tour.

« Reply #874 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:24:05 pm »
Mahan Esfahani , playing with some of the RLPO.   There was lots of Bach & a little bit of Scarlatti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TioMwJreI4I
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark