Author Topic: Portability of waypoints between mapping and sharing apps  (Read 701 times)

Portability of waypoints between mapping and sharing apps
« on: 08 February, 2024, 10:36:56 am »
For quite a few years I've been sending out my GPS files for Audax with waypoints marked for controls. Many riders don't see any of my waypoints but some do. From my limited trials it looks like loading my files  (originated in GPXplanner) by cable or from a direct file transfer to a Garmin gives successful transfer of waypoints but going via the webapps I have tried does not, the webapps rewrite the gpx by their own lights. Has anyone had a systematic look at waypoint portability?

Re: Portability of waypoints between mapping and sharing apps
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2024, 02:32:44 pm »
Garmin Connect can import GPX to courses and translate  waypoints to course points. Ride with GPS uses cue points which are the same as what it uses for turn by turn. It doesn’t seem to import waypoints and translate , so I add in cue points for controls, once I’ve imported my master.  Garmin Edge want course points, Wahoo want cue points, and Garmin Etrex will take the raw GPX with waypoints and alert them if you’ve added proximity alarms to them.

Re: Portability of waypoints between mapping and sharing apps
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2024, 05:31:54 pm »
Garmin Connect can import GPX to courses and translate  waypoints to course points. Ride with GPS uses cue points which are the same as what it uses for turn by turn. It doesn’t seem to import waypoints and translate , so I add in cue points for controls, once I’ve imported my master.  Garmin Edge want course points, Wahoo want cue points, and Garmin Etrex will take the raw GPX with waypoints and alert them if you’ve added proximity alarms to them.

I've found Ride with GPS offers to write points of interest as waypoints when it makes a .gpx file. Use of different terms for essentially the same thing is so common that it does all become more than a little complicated.

Thanks for your information on this Phil.