Author Topic: Dauphiné Libéré 2012  (Read 10996 times)

Andrew

Re: Dauphiné Libéré 2012
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »
My word. I was not expecting that. Wiggins must be in the shape of his life.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »
It was breathtakingly impressive. To take so much time out of Tony Martin was superb.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2012, 09:27:46 pm »
Of the three British riders in the top 10, none were born in the UK.

What on Earth has that got to do with the price of fish?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:23:32 pm »
Bravo Bradley!  After that performance he's my odds-on favourite (as opposed to my wannabe favourite) to win Le Tour. 

It won't be such great news for Cav though.  Sky can smell yellow very strongly and they'll try anything to get it.  Marky C might find himself in a sprint train of one this July.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Dauphiné Libéré 2012
« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:29:39 pm »
Personally, I couldn't give a toss where they were born.

Mark Cavendish isn't really "British" either, is he?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:33:11 pm »
What is the term, 'plastic Brits'?

Not that the Aussies have ever done such a thing, of course. What was Wiggin's father's nationality?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »
Personally, I couldn't give a toss where they were born.

Mark Cavendish isn't really "British" either, is he?

d.

Manx people are British.

Millar was only born in Malta because his father was posted there.

Wiggins was only born in Belgium because his parents lived there for his father's racing.

Froome's family were Brits trying their hand at a bit of colonial farming stuff in Kenya.

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:39:24 pm »
What was Wiggin's father's nationality?

Everyone knows Wiggo's father was Australian, but seeing as Wiggo never lived there and was estranged from his father for years before he died anyway, I don't think any Australians could claim Wiggins as one of them. That wouldn't stop them trying of course...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:40:13 pm »
If your island's own currency isn't legal tender in Great Britain and you don't have to pay British taxes, how can you call yourself British?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:42:03 pm »
I was born in Singapore to British parents who were in the RAF and happened to be posted to Changi while my mum was pregnant. I am not and have never been Singaporean. I am and have always been British. I have a Singapore birth certificate and a UK registration of citizenship or something.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #35 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:44:16 pm »
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »
If you'd been born in Oz, you'd have been Australian. Rules on citizenship differ between countries.

« Reply #37 on: 07 June, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »
Manx Passport

I guess the important part is "The Isle of Man passport is a British passport issued by the Chief Secretary's Office of the Isle of Man Government to British citizens and British subjects connected to the Crown Dependency of the Isle of Man"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:00:18 pm »
So as long as you have a passport, you are British? That means we are back to plastic Brits. Zola Budd got a British passport in a week or so...

« Reply #39 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »
Whatever. If you are Manx you are automatically British. Just like you are if you are English. The end....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:05:13 pm »
That passport thing of yours defines Manx folk as not being British citizens, despite having a British passport.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #41 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »
I was getting a bit mixed up before - yes, the Isle of Man is British but it isn't part of the UK. Slight difference...

Anyway, like I said, I don't think it matters in the slightest. Defining your identity by where you were born seems a somewhat quaint notion. Besides, these rules are entirely arbitrary - and are laid down by the governing body of the sport, not the governing body of the nation. Hence having a British passport is not the same as being considered "British" for the purposes of the sport. And anyone who thinks liberties are taken with the definition of nationality in cycling should try looking at rugby...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #42 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:23:35 pm »
...or cricket.

« Reply #43 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:30:55 pm »
Red Herring, Bunbury.  If you are born in England you will usually not be good enough to play cricket fo the national team!

Andrew

« Reply #44 on: 08 June, 2012, 07:16:08 am »
Anyway, back to the cycling....

That was a frightening good performance by Wiggins yesterday. Like someone else upstream, I went from thinking (re TdF) 'yes he has a chance' to 'by joves, I think he can do it'.

I reckon there was a bit of a non-performance by Evans but even so, it really marks Wiggins as a serious contender.

As for the implications for Cavendish, I don't really see alarm bells. But then, unlike many pundits, I don't think there's a problem anyway with the 2 interests of yellow and green. I think Sky can handle both, allocating resource as and when and according to circumstance. I think it gets talked up as a problem that, imo, doesn't need to exist in practice. Sure, Wiggins won't be riding in a lead out train and Cavendish won't be riding support in the mountains but outside that, I don't see a conflict of interests.

« Reply #45 on: 08 June, 2012, 07:43:41 am »
If your island's own currency isn't legal tender in Great Britain and you don't have to pay British taxes, how can you call yourself British?

So Mark really doesn't pay Road Tax?

I wonder if the Daily Mail knows this?

« Reply #46 on: 08 June, 2012, 08:10:52 am »
That was a frightening good performance by Wiggins yesterday. Like someone else upstream, I went from thinking (re TdF) 'yes he has a chance' to 'by joves, I think he can do it'.

I reckon there was a bit of a non-performance by Evans but even so, it really marks Wiggins as a serious contender.

It will be interesting to see how Wiggins handles the Tour if he doesn't gain much time in the TTs. I'm sure he will, but he might have to do more than just defend his lead (assuming he has one) in the mountains...

Andrew

« Reply #47 on: 08 June, 2012, 08:53:11 am »
but he might have to do more than just defend his lead (assuming he has one) in the mountains...

That, for me, is the big question about Wiggins. He's not really a grimper. He's shown that he can hang in there (unless it gets really tough) but I don't think I've ever seen him go on the offensive in the mountains. Maybe he's been working on that too. Perhaps we'll see in the next few days?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #48 on: 08 June, 2012, 08:57:25 am »
He doesn't attack, he just ups the pace till most fall off his wheel. Indurain style.
The next few days will show what his training regime have given him in terms of top end high mountain ability.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 08 June, 2012, 09:25:46 am »
Yes, we all know how Indurain managed to do that.