Author Topic: The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,  (Read 66731 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
Re: The Highlands, West Coast & Glens July 2016,
« Reply #400 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:19:48 pm »
This ride confirmed for me that Garmin Edges are not up the job of long rides where charging in the wet is required.
We had a mix of Edge 800's & Edge 1000's and most of them gave trouble. To be fair I don't think USB plugs were really designed for water and lots of vibration.
I've had no problems charging my 800 off a cache battery while on the move in the past, but it was a bit too much of stretch will all of that moisture.
I'm going back to the future with an Etrex 30x. Properly sealed, change batteries when required.
Dynamo light (SP hub + Revo light) was very happy in the rain though.

Keen to check out a dynamo usb charging solution like marcusjb mentioned. Although I'm also a little weary of all the unnecessary technology detracting/complicating the trip. I was all to aware that on this ride we were checking our phones at mail/texts/pokemons at most stops (I being a major offender).
When I rode PBP I carried a small "dumb" Nokia phone (30days battery standby). Small, simple, only there for an emergency.

I have the same issue with the Edge series and got round it using some of the sugru product. https://sugru.com/
Using a right angle connector I have sealed it in place by moulding fully around the plug for a permanent flying lead which fits into my USB outlet from my dynamo. Three 2000km plus trips this year including the Highlands and Wild Atlantic Way and it's been trouble free.
Some may think having a lead permanently stuck to it a problem, I can live with it.

you can buy USB to 2 pin 3.5mm jack convertor sockets, one of these permanently sealed in, and a lead converted to a male jack plug could be just the ticket.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #401 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:16:16 pm »
How does everyone power garmins/gps/lights on an event like this, a couple of spare battery packs or a dynamo hub, or some other way?
We used...
Son 28 dynamo hub
B&M Luxos U (front dynamo light + usb power to recharge cache battery)
B&M Secula rear dynamo light
B&M Ixon IQ Premium (x4 AA Lithium batteries) - as backup / secondry decending front light
5200mAh cache battery (usb)
Two LED battery rear lights (AAA Lithium) - backup/secondry
Etrex30 GPS (Lithium AA batteries plus two sets of spares)
Four more spare Lithium AA for either Ixon or Etrex (did not use)
Four spare Lithium AAA (did not use)
Mobile phone used as camera and for getting ferry info etc.  Second mobile phone switched off. (both waterproof)
No mains power required, power from dynamo was sufficient to keep phone topped up (indirectly via cache battery).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #402 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:29:57 pm »
Well, I'm finally back on wifi. My ride ended outside Mallaig on Tuesday when a bus driver caused the two German cyclists I was with to crash. This resulted in one of the guys having to go to Fort William in an ambulance, police statements and figuring out how to get the other German and two busted bikes back to Oban. By the time this was all sorted I was nearly four hours behind schedule. Has anyone heard how they both are?

I have never used the discussion board before.......hope this quote thing works.

I met two of the German guys in Oban SYHA on Friday. The third was still in hospital. Two of them were involved in the accident with the bus and one was quite badly hurt and (I think) had sustained three broken ribs and some other damage to his person and to their bikes.

Gosh.  Sorry to read that the injuries were so serious and I hope they are all healing up well.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #403 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »
Well, I'm finally back on wifi. My ride ended outside Mallaig on Tuesday when a bus driver caused the two German cyclists I was with to crash. This resulted in one of the guys having to go to Fort William in an ambulance, police statements and figuring out how to get the other German and two busted bikes back to Oban. By the time this was all sorted I was nearly four hours behind schedule. Has anyone heard how they both are?

I have never used the discussion board before.......hope this quote thing works.

I met two of the German guys in Oban SYHA on Friday. The third was still in hospital. Two of them were involved in the accident with the bus and one was quite badly hurt and (I think) had sustained three broken ribs and some other damage to his person and to their bikes.

Sounds nasty. I hope they're healing well.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #404 on: 03 August, 2016, 08:37:32 pm »

Two of the Germans set off on Tuesday, their mate headed out on Monday. Glad to know that two of them were back together in Oban on Friday. We were traveling near 40mph when the bus pulled in front of us and braked hard in order to turn right. The two Germans braked hard but lost control on the wet road and hit the deck hard so I'm not surprised with the extent of Michael's injuries and that he was still in hospital 3 days after the accident.  Somehow I managed to drop the anchors (disc brakes and 35mm rubber???) and skip between the two of them as they fell. Michael was the one badly injured, he was the guy on the normal bike, Bjorn was on the recumbent. Michael was laid in the middle of the road, groaning, delirious with blood coming from his hands, legs and places on his torso. His helmet was smashed, and his cloths torn. If ever I've seen a reason to wear a helmet, that was it! I took a first-aid course last year as I was becoming aware that I've been at a few bike accidents, both on and off-road and didn't really know what to do. I now carry a basic first kit and space blanket. Both were used last Tuesday. Michael would have slipped towards hypothermia as a result of shock had I not had the blanket with me. The first aid kit was used to clean up Bjorns bloody injuries.  Despite Michael's injuries his bike came off OK, but Bjorns recumbent was rendered un-ridable, mainly on account of losing 1/3 of his rear wheel spokes. The incident was made harder on account of the Germans speaking very little English so I had to explain who they were, what we were doing and what had happened to the local nurse and an off-duty paramedic who both arrived some time before the ambulance, the actual paramedics and then the police. And then the women at the train station and the owner of the B&B they had booked to stay at that night, as well as scores of other concerned bystanders.

It's only by recalling the incident that I now realise why by the time I got to Broadford I couldn't face heading out to ride thought the night in the rain and I bailed from the ride.

I'd like to know how both Michael and Bjorn are getting on as they had to drive back to Germany, but I have no way of contacting them.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #405 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:30:10 pm »
I passed  the Mallaig incident on Tuesday, by the time we arrived the  Ambulance was there. Steve and I went into the  Fishermens mission for a meal whilst waiting for the ferry in a  reflective mood.

My accident happened at Syre between Trantelbeg and Altnaharra about  10:50 on Wednesday evening. Steve  and  I left  Trantelbeg  together just  before 8pm intending to bivvy at  Altnaharra. On a gentle descent to Syre three sheep ran straight across the road from bracken. I hit one square on, the  bike and I catapulted over it. I  think I must  have landed on the bike as I have a chain-ring  impression on my left calf, whatever happened I felt my left ribs crack. I  rolled and ended  up at  the  side of  the  road, in the  dark  and  unable to  move due to the pain. It was tolerable if I kept my arms behind me and leant back on my hands. - my feet were in a  shallow ditch. Steve  was  in front and had not heard me  fall, so I was on my  own. Despite  where we were, we had just  passed a phone  mast, so I  managed with my right  hand to dig into my left pannier, glad it  was  close enough to  reach, and get my phone out. At this  point I wondered whether my condition was bad  enough for a 999 call! - Yes it was. I  got  through to  Glasgow and  spent  some  time  explaining  that  I did  not  have  a  postcode  and  please can you look at  a  map, you do have one?  I had OS 1:50000 Multi-Map on my phone, but could not get the full NGR. After naming a few roads and nearby places I got  the despatcher to understand where I  was. The script then led  onto my  injuries, 'broken ribs' I realised was a mistake, I was going right down the priority list, and when the despatcher then asked if I was wearing leathers started to get desperate.. NO I TOLD YOU PEDAL CYCLE!..  I am lightly dressed unable  to  move and on my own on a  mountain and  if you don't get someone to me soon...
At  this  point a  welcome  front  light was Steve coming back up the hill. He  took over  the 999. I made  sure they  knew I was developing chest pains, and he wrapped me up in my sleeping bag while we waited  for the  Amubulace, which did not seem to take that long to arrive. The crew were great, but  the  two hour  drive  to Caithness General in Wick was a  painful experience, the  Ambulance was a reserve one with solid suspension, there  was difficulty  getting  a cannula into my arm for Morphine and every bump.. Things looked  up when I got to A&E. Wheeled straight in to be met by three nurses and the  Doctor - I  was their first case that night.. The rest of this story will have  to  wait  for  another day..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.377234,-3.9764532,10z

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #406 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »
Despite  where we were, we had just  passed a phone mast
"Somebody up there" likes you!
Best wishes for recovery.

Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

Phil W

« Reply #407 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »
You may find these two things useful

First an app developed by mountain rescue to pinpoint lost hill walkers

https://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/files.php?file=The%20Oracle/Communications/SARLOC.pdf

Secondly emergency SMS text for 999 for which you need to pre register. You can often send a text when the phone signal is too weak for a call.

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk

You can ring 999 and ask for mountain rescue. Depending on your circumstances this may be a better route for getting rescued / attended to. They are certainly much more used to grid references and maps and understand hypothermia when dressed for being on the move. They often deal with climbing accidents so broken ribs, head injuries all understood. They'd work with police, ambulance, helicopter rescue anyway.

Thirdly

If you have latitude longitude showing on the trip computer display on the GPS. You can post Lat lon into google maps putting spaces between degrees mins secs. You need to add N for north at end of lat and W or E for lon. The operator should be able to do that.

« Reply #408 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:09:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Good one about text msgs I had heard of that, but not in detail. In hindsight the GPs in my phone would have given me a lat long and it is available from memory  map, I just could not remember under the circumstances how to do so.
I did not have a GPS, totally unnecessary for this ride. I had given my spare laminated route sheet to a rider faffing with a water soaked GPs earlier.

« Reply #409 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:08:35 am »

Two of the Germans set off on Tuesday, their mate headed out on Monday. Glad to know that two of them were back together in Oban on Friday. We were traveling near 40mph when the bus pulled in front of us and braked hard in order to turn right. The two Germans braked hard but lost control on the wet road and hit the deck hard so I'm not surprised with the extent of Michael's injuries and that he was still in hospital 3 days after the accident.  Somehow I managed to drop the anchors (disc brakes and 35mm rubber???) and skip between the two of them as they fell. Michael was the one badly injured, he was the guy on the normal bike, Bjorn was on the recumbent. Michael was laid in the middle of the road, groaning, delirious with blood coming from his hands, legs and places on his torso. His helmet was smashed, and his cloths torn. If ever I've seen a reason to wear a helmet, that was it! I took a first-aid course last year as I was becoming aware that I've been at a few bike accidents, both on and off-road and didn't really know what to do. I now carry a basic first kit and space blanket. Both were used last Tuesday. Michael would have slipped towards hypothermia as a result of shock had I not had the blanket with me. The first aid kit was used to clean up Bjorns bloody injuries.  Despite Michael's injuries his bike came off OK, but Bjorns recumbent was rendered un-ridable, mainly on account of losing 1/3 of his rear wheel spokes. The incident was made harder on account of the Germans speaking very little English so I had to explain who they were, what we were doing and what had happened to the local nurse and an off-duty paramedic who both arrived some time before the ambulance, the actual paramedics and then the police. And then the women at the train station and the owner of the B&B they had booked to stay at that night, as well as scores of other concerned bystanders.

It's only by recalling the incident that I now realise why by the time I got to Broadford I couldn't face heading out to ride thought the night in the rain and I bailed from the ride.

I'd like to know how both Michael and Bjorn are getting on as they had to drive back to Germany, but I have no way of contacting them.

When I spoke with the bjorn on Friday evening he mentioned  they were members of an audax club in Hamburg region and I believe that he is in this picture.

http://audaxclub-sh.de/node/689

When I spoke with them about the incident on Saturday morning they were in good spirits, but (and I am choosing my words carefully here because I wasn't there when the crash happened) seemed  a little dismayed with regards to the way the police and bus driver seemed to view the incident.

Hope you are on the mend Aidan.

« Reply #410 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:42:35 am »
Sorry hear of both these incidents and wish speedy recovery to all concerned.

re coaches driving I was very nearly put off the road into ditch at side and side swiped by a coach between Broadford Kyle when driver chose to pass me in face on coming traffic.

On my return I contacted coach company but as I didn`t have reg plate they weren`t going to do anything about it stating that they had no idea where each of their coaches was at any time (charter hire). Not terribly helpful I thought  >:(

This contrasted with a similar near miss I had on BCM in South Wales and when I contacted the transport manager of company concerned (who was a cyclist himself) he  told me that 1. every of their coaches has an onboard camera, 2. they`d find out which coach it was and 3. they would reprimand the driver. 

On a positive note I found the majority of drivers to be patient and courteous but still a sizeable number were not and drove dangerously close. It has certainly made me revise my thoughts about the possibility of a mandatory 1.5m limit being put in place and enforced.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Lee Killestein

« Reply #411 on: 04 August, 2016, 08:00:28 am »

Thirdly

If you have latitude longitude showing on the trip computer display on the GPS. You can post Lat lon into google maps putting spaces between degrees mins secs. You need to add N for north at end of lat and W or E for lon. The operator should be able to do that.

If you have an iPhone you can get the built in compass to show Latitude and Longitude by allowing it to use your location. Info on how to do this here:

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971695

« Reply #412 on: 04 August, 2016, 08:35:30 am »

Thirdly

If you have an iPhone you can get the built in compass to show Latitude and Longitude by allowing it to use your location. Info on how to do this here:

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971695

Garmins Etrexs / Edge series can also be set to show lat / long as the GB OS national Grid Reference which I think would be more interpretable by any emergency operator, certainly all MRT use OSGB mapping / ref systems
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #413 on: 04 August, 2016, 08:43:26 am »

I don't suppose anyone knows the names of the Germans involved? I rode LEL 2013 with a couple of Germans who I know were planning on doing this.

Edit: Just read the following posts and sounds like neither was involved
The sound of one pannier flapping

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #414 on: 04 August, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »
Nothing to add to these 2 sad tails of incidents on the road, but to wish those a full and speedy recovery and hope to see you all on the road ... sorry on your bikes again!

All the Best! Dav eC
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #415 on: 04 August, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »
Our photos (Tuesday start)...

Arriving at Craignure...

Pre-start briefing...

Tobermory...

Boarding ferry at Tobermory...

Ferry from Mallaig...

Sleep stop...

Breakfast...

After Durness...

After Lochinver...

Kyle of Lochalsh...

Armadale...

Taken from road to Corran ferry...

Corran ferry...

The morning after...

« Reply #416 on: 07 August, 2016, 07:29:20 am »
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the comments and the pictures, it's alwasy fun when we are comfortably back home to remember the trip via others'pictures.

It was sad to read that there were 2 serious accidents.  I hope the cyclists involved are going well now.

Has anyone any idea of the number of people who actually took part in this event (on Monday and Tuesday), and the number   of finishers?

Miguel

« Reply #417 on: 08 August, 2016, 10:10:15 am »
hi Miguel,
very good to meet you ( at the ferry back to Mallaig ) .
Phil Deeker remembered you !!

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #418 on: 20 August, 2016, 09:53:10 am »
The provisional results are now up on the AUK website.

Hope that those with injuries are making a speedy recovery.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #419 on: 20 August, 2016, 12:00:59 pm »
Eeek! Im missing from the result😯. Messaged BS. Sure it's fine.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #420 on: 20 August, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »
The ride should have been over the last week. It's been stunning!
It is simpler than it looks.

Smeth

« Reply #421 on: 20 August, 2016, 05:56:35 pm »
Eeek! Im missing from the result😯. Messaged BS. Sure it's fine.

Thanks for the updated result BS, I didn't imagine it all after all, especially the beach panto at Armadale ;D

« Reply #422 on: 20 August, 2016, 07:10:20 pm »
The ride should have been over the last week. It's been stunning!

IME when in Scotland the locals usually say ah but if you`d come last week we had six weeks of sunshine etc etc

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #423 on: 20 August, 2016, 10:41:14 pm »
It was too hot to sit out at 6:00pm this evening  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Smeth

« Reply #424 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:15:52 pm »
On Saturday at the Kennet Valley Run there was yet another reminiscence with the SWRCs of the Highlands ride. The word "brutal", courtesy of thesloth, seems apt, given Black Sheep's over-delivery of his promise of guaranteed "weather".
Back from a DIY today to find the validated brevet card on the mat. Buzzed about it (again) to a tolerant family who only appeared partly glazed over. I noticed the barely legible shaky info control entries.
One Helluva Ride
Thanks BS for a lifetime memory.

Edit: and one helluva ride by everyone who left Oban, whatever their outcome.