Author Topic: East & West Coasts, or 3 coasts?  (Read 5787 times)

East & West Coasts, or 3 coasts?
« on: 16 May, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »
Votes please :)

Which is the majorities favourite, do more people do one than the other? I'm not the world's strongest 600k rider, let's put that out there, and I think the E&W is easier, but is the extra climbing of the other one worth it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: East & West Coasts, or 3 coasts?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2016, 02:54:14 pm »
Only done the 3 Coasts but it didn't seem too hard overall, even for my somewhat unfit (but determined) riding companion on a borrowed bike. The organiser knows his stuff, so either event would be fine.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2016, 07:25:29 pm »
I've only done 3 coasts; the routes are the same until the last 100km, where 3 Coasts goes all hilly and East & West goes flat. Some controls are in different places too, if I remember correctly.

I suppose it depends on how much you fancy 100km of scenery after having done 500km... The final climb of Blackstone Edge at 585km or so nearly did for me and the decent nearly did for my wrists but the bits before were lovely; best bits of the ride in my opinion...

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:37:18 pm »
I am doing the 2 Coasts, thought I would choose the 'easier' option for my first 600

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2016, 09:41:41 pm »
It's possible to avoid the significant Harris End climb on the Three Coasts, at not much extra distance cost, which equalises stuff a bit.

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2016, 10:49:45 am »
Thanks all- I will be so knackered after 500k if that's where the harder bit comes I think I will take the easier of the 2 rides :)

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2016, 08:37:20 pm »
Done them both, I prefer the 3 coasts and it is not that much harder, Blackstone Edge is nothing, its just a steady gentle gradient unless you go flat out then it might be a different ball game. The hill in middle of nowhere after Glossop Dock is harder but once again, take it steady and its nothing. Plus if you tag on at some point with the "Good Companions" on the second day after Glossop Dock, they will bring you home to the finish.

This year, it will be the 3 coasts again

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2016, 12:32:03 am »
Glasson Dock.  If you end up in Glossop, you're really in trouble!  I endorse what Zack says.  What people are not mentioning is that the Harris End section (the hill after Glasson Dock, though not the first one!) is beautiful, really beautiful, and that should give you a lift.  But the whole of both rides is pretty good and the support at the "home" control is superb - but take earplugs!

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:20:29 pm »
Your right Peter, Glossop is a bit out of the way, plus you would have to be on the road and lost for a long, long time for the oceans to rise to enable Glossop to have a dock. Am I right in thinking you can see across the Irish Sea to Isle of man from the top of the hill that you name Harris End secrtion or am I thinking of somewhere else or am I just imagining it.

Its all flooding back to me now, just remembered that climb out of Padiham whilst looking at the map and that's worse than Blackstone Edge but both routes do that one anyway so no dodging it.

« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:54:38 am »
Finally entered the E&W Coasts one. Figured by 500k I will probably be sleepriding rather than looking at scenery anyway so I have been lazy and taken the easier version :)

« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:38:37 am »

Its all flooding back to me now, just remembered that climb out of Padiham whilst looking at the map and that's worse than Blackstone Edge but both routes do that one anyway so no dodging it.

That's a peculiar climb. From Mytholmroyd it's rural, or mainly 18th century architecture all the way to the summit. which is about 800 feet. From Padiham on the return it starts out in classic 19th century terraces, and ends up in 1930s housing at the top of what's known as Habergham Eaves. You don't expect the highest point you reach crossing the Pennines to be so suburban. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7738061,-2.2502752,3a,75y,99.78h,78.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7svdAVZIsRBZKiAxBniGyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The section from Whalley to Broughton is very picturesque, and is done in opposite directions on the two versions. There are a couple of short, steep climbs between Longridge and Whalley on the way back on the East and West Coasts.

I met someone who'd loaded the wrong GPS route at Broughton last year. That led to him not having the ticket from the toll bridge as a proof of passage. Fortunately I had two tickets, due to a complex story involving helping another rider avoid a headwind ride across Cockerham Moss.

There's a tendency to forget the climbing in the Howardian Hills, between Hovingham and Coxwold, which is a bit of a roller-coaster.

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:38:25 pm »
Thanks for this thread LC - I've been inspired & just entered the East & West Coast :)

I needed something to get me back out on the bike after a crappy 2016 so far - I better get some fitness in! 

« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:34:24 am »
FYI the Halifax travelodge currently has rooms for £28 on the Friday night

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:03:38 pm »
I have booked a room there for 3 nights - £90.  It might get used on Sat night.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:54:39 am »
I've ridden both, Heather...

As you've gathered there isn't really a huge difference, though...

I can confirm that they are excellent rides, with good controls, and on safe roads.

Good luck 🚴🏽🚴🏽🚴🏽
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2016, 04:36:19 pm »
So is it just left to me to post all the hysterical pre 600k weekend messages as usual  ;D ;D ;D

It's so far. I'm scared of 600k. I'm completely rubbish at 600k. I'm tired and my legs hurt today, will they fix by Sunday?

On a vaguely serious note, I'm so terrible at remembering all the times for things........
When does the 381k control close, and when do we need to have finished?

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2016, 04:39:29 pm »
From memory (don't quote me!)  but it's about 700am at 381 and 10pm at the finish

Peter

« Reply #17 on: 18 July, 2016, 04:45:08 pm »
Hmmmm, with it being a 'late' sleep stop, it prob makes sense to leave a little out of time- with only 220k left, 15 hours seems pretty generous. And I will need some sleep..........

« Reply #18 on: 18 July, 2016, 04:47:10 pm »
And how hard is the 381k bit anyone who has done it before, is it lumpy?

« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2016, 06:26:43 pm »
It's not particularly lumpy, though you do cross the Wolds on the way back.  The second day is pretty flat, especially if you have opted for the E & W (the 3 Coasts is a different proposition).   The wind is probably the biggest of your worries - the wind and snoring.

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2016, 07:31:03 pm »
And how hard is the 381k bit anyone who has done it before, is it lumpy?

The 3C was my first 600. I rode the first 300 to Castleford waaaaay too hard (I kept up with MSeries FOTP - 'nuff said).

There are long long sections of <1% average ascent, and some shorter periods of around 1%. Anything around the Leeds conurbation seems hilly to me - once you get East of Castleford, it's easy peasy to Pocklington. Then you cross The Wolds, which are fine - if you've cycled in Normandy, done PBP, ridden the Marlborough Downs, you'll know the drill - long wavelength rollers. More of the same after Bridlington, then something rather choppier when you interact with the Howardian Hills - there may even be a couple of chevrons. After Castleford, you're back in the Leeds conurbation, and at that time of night, the indigenous are a bigger issue than the hills TBH,  but when I rode it, I fell apart at Castleford and needed a great deal of help and support from my fellow riders to carry on, so I don't remember much about this section apart from being hopelessly lost and homesick on yet another hill, next to the M62, feeling like hell. It's a great ride  :thumbsup:.

Day two is much hillier - but much more fun, I seem to recall.

« Reply #21 on: 19 July, 2016, 12:48:04 pm »
Its my first 600 also so looking forwards to it.  I live near Mytholmroyd and I rode the last hill last night and I can tell you its fine even with tiered legs just get in an easy gear and plod up it lol  As said above the hill out of Burnley is a bit harder but shorter and both rides go up it so doing the 3 coast ride is looks like its not much harder so I'm going for the 3 coast :facepalm: :facepalm:

« Reply #22 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »
Based on my ride yesterday, across the Wolds twice and out to Castleford and Tadcaster area and a bit more West, if this heatwave does not relent, the ride will be terrible in the heat especially on the hills, every village on the return part of the ride I had to stop for water. It looks like its going to cool off though hopefully

« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2016, 12:05:13 am »
I think it's expected to get almost 10 degrees cooler, Zak.  Thunderstorms are predicted for Friday, so they may clear the air.

@ Lady C

Sorry, I've just looked at my 3 Coasts Brevet card and it says 7.40 for the morning cut off at Mytholmroyd.

In spite of what some have said, the second day on the 3 Coasts IS harder  than that on the EC; that's why it has climbing points while the EC doesn't (I think).  But I don't think you'll have any problem.

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2016, 09:13:16 am »
I'm quite happy with my decision to go for the E/W coasts :)

I am really looking forward to riding somewhere I don't know at ALL, and going to the seaside, but I'm still very scared. I know that there are *hills* up there and stuff.

Sleep is 375k on the routesheet I just looked at, which is a little earlier than I thought. Happy about that too :)