Author Topic: Barbury Bash Sun 17th July - 100/160/210km - nr Didcot  (Read 4938 times)

Re: Barbury Bash Sun 17th July - 100/160/210km - nr Didcot
« Reply #50 on: 24 July, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
I was up the front end and there was no moaning there, rarely is.  Strictly for back of the pack fodder, that sort of unhelpful, negative crap.

« Reply #51 on: 24 July, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
I was up the front end and there was no moaning there, rarely is.  Strictly for back of the pack fodder, that sort of unhelpful, negative crap.

It's unlikely there would be,  especially from someone "taking it easy" and with your speed and experience.  Several other experienced riders have mentioned they found it tough,  probably a combination of hot weather and unrelenting small hills (and some big ones!).  To dismiss all the negative feedback as you have above is patronising and offensive to your fellow randoneurs who are less experienced or slower than you.
I hope you are just having a bad day as I normally enjoy reading your posts. 
 Julia(an 11 hour randoneur)
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #52 on: 24 July, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »
Not having a bad day, Julia, just getting a little fed up with serial criticism of volunteer organisers coming from people who never give anything back.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 24 July, 2016, 05:39:36 pm »
It isn't particularly helpful to future riders of events if negative feedback is surpressed. It seems that any response other than 'Wonderful, marvellous' is stomped on.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #54 on: 24 July, 2016, 05:57:08 pm »
As we have seen, the negative feedback was inaccurate.

We can all take a view on whether the route was hard for us as individuals, but what we can't do is make claims about lack of opportunities for food and water that are demonstrably untrue.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 24 July, 2016, 06:21:37 pm »
SNIP
I messed up my pacing though. Passed the first pub (The Bell) about midday which was a bit early, little did I know it would be many, many tough hours until the next one!
SNIP

There were about eight of us vying for lanterne rouge status. The Bell was a bit too early and the Carpenters Arms was the next place that was open and actually on-route. Five of us had lunch together, arriving there after 3pm. Between the two, there was nowhere open that was visible from the published route. Sure, we could have gone off-route for something but it would have been helpful if the organiser had noted such options on the route sheet. Other organisers do exactly that.

If you ride 3/4 of a 200 before stopping for lunch, you'll probably like the Barbury Bash, as currently constituted. If not, probably not so much.

Hopefully the Jack Russell in Faccombe will open again, which would solve a lot of problems.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 24 July, 2016, 06:37:17 pm »
I ran out of water on a Long Hot Ride some decades ago. I still remember how annoying this was.

I was seriously worried about my water lack and riding very close to time. I found a shop selling water, which solved the problem.

But I still remember the combination of thirst, heat and anxiety about finishing on time.

** years on...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 24 July, 2016, 07:08:19 pm »
Sounds like the Barbury Bash needs to be added to the list of truly hard and epic rides, which means riders will flock to it to demonstrate how hard they are.
;D

This thread has certainly provided a number of quotes that I shall be deploying in future advertising.

Exactly. But students of human nature also know that some people just like moaning.

Given this - and the positive feedback from most - I suspect everyone was happy. Excellent!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #58 on: 24 July, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Phil W

« Reply #59 on: 24 July, 2016, 08:14:12 pm »
Most churches have an outside tap if you can't find anything else. I've only tended to use these options overnight but equally valid during day.

« Reply #60 on: 24 July, 2016, 09:44:35 pm »
Sounds like the Barbury Bash needs to be added to the list of truly hard and epic rides, which means riders will flock to it to demonstrate how hard they are.
;D

This thread has certainly provided a number of quotes that I shall be deploying in future advertising.

Exactly. But students of human nature also know that some people just like moaning.

Yup...maybe it's a case of being it's not what you say, but the way that you say it :facepalm:
Given this - and the positive feedback from most - I suspect everyone was happy. Excellent!
Very happy with it and a massive thanks to the organiser for her efforts.  I do hope the Didcot Pheonix chaps survived this epic adventure ;D :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #61 on: 24 July, 2016, 10:14:10 pm »
Most churches have an outside tap if you can't find anything else. I've only tended to use these options overnight but equally valid during day.

During the day I'm quite happy to ask, people are often outside in their gardens when the weather is good and I have the advantage of being a smallish middle aged female so about as non threatening as it gets 😊
Reine de la Fauche