Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 443334 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3350 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:25:14 am »
My daily 'breakfast' is a protein shake comprising milk, protein powder and bananas.

We're out of bananas. I thought I'd use some frozen mango chunks we have in the freezer.

It tastes rank. It was butternut squash.

While I realise one shouldn't laugh at another's misfortune that just made me laugh out loud

« Reply #3351 on: 14 October, 2022, 09:21:40 am »
Once I'd cleaned my breakfast off my keyboard (thanks, fboab), I want to nominate Every Single Person (all highly paid and 'presumably' intelligent engineers) who replied All to an email to the entire company.

FFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3352 on: 14 October, 2022, 09:54:30 am »
Once I'd cleaned my breakfast off my keyboard (thanks, fboab), I want to nominate Every Single Person (all highly paid and 'presumably' intelligent engineers) who replied All to an email to the entire company.

FFS

Presumably followed by a flurry of emails to everyone saying please don't use reply all? A similar cascade actually brought the email system to a grinding halt at a place I used to work. And for once I wasn't involved

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3353 on: 14 October, 2022, 11:51:36 am »
My daily 'breakfast' is a protein shake comprising milk, protein powder and bananas.

We're out of bananas. I thought I'd use some frozen mango chunks we have in the freezer.

It tastes rank. It was butternut squash.

While I realise one shouldn't laugh at another's misfortune that just made me laugh out loud

+1

Didn't see the punchline coming at all.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #3354 on: 14 October, 2022, 12:36:32 pm »

FFS

Presumably followed by a flurry of emails to everyone saying please don't use reply all? A similar cascade actually brought the email system to a grinding halt at a place I used to work. And for once I wasn't involved

Immoralized aboard my last mothership as #reutersreplyallgate

PaulF

« Reply #3355 on: 14 October, 2022, 01:13:19 pm »

FFS

The same incident I believe. I mean it could only happen once couldn’t it?

« Reply #3356 on: 14 October, 2022, 01:17:28 pm »
Wasn't half the problem when the NHS computers got taken out a few years back by the I love you virus everyone replying saying remove me from this

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3357 on: 14 October, 2022, 02:21:28 pm »
I expect any mail system inhabited by more than a few users who lack either common sense, an ability to read or an understanding of exponential growth has suffered this problem at some point.

When I was a PSO, the entire Brizzle Uni mail system ground to a halt after someone worked out how to CC all the course mailing lists into a message advertising their event, and people kept reply-alling to the reply-allers telling them not to reply-all.  Those of us whose email was stored on the better-resourced engineering faculty server got to watch the fall-out in slow motion...

ian

« Reply #3358 on: 14 October, 2022, 02:34:50 pm »

FFS

I pretty sure it probably did, but that one was epic, especially when 'more senior' people piled on telling everyone to stop. I got popcorn to watch it unfold. I believe they had to ban people talking about it on social media.

PaulF

« Reply #3359 on: 14 October, 2022, 03:04:51 pm »

FFS

I pretty sure it probably did, but that one was epic, especially when 'more senior' people piled on telling everyone to stop. I got popcorn to watch it unfold. I believe they had to ban people talking about it on social media.

Yes it was fun to watch, seem to rember someone running round our floor telling us not to respond because the system was so clogged up that the official instruction couldn’t get through. It was shortly afterwards that they limited access to the global address lists

« Reply #3360 on: 14 October, 2022, 03:06:04 pm »

FFS

The cascade begins . . .

There are now more "stop replying to all" emails than people saying "Why did I get this email".

One light in the darkness; it is only going to 4300 people, not the entire company.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PaulF

« Reply #3361 on: 14 October, 2022, 03:06:48 pm »

ian

« Reply #3362 on: 14 October, 2022, 03:19:34 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3363 on: 14 October, 2022, 03:35:16 pm »
ISTR another one of those back in the late 90's or early naughties.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #3364 on: 14 October, 2022, 04:47:18 pm »
Also, I don't work there anymore, so if it happens again, it's still not me either.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3365 on: 14 October, 2022, 06:33:25 pm »
Serves 'em right for sending my job to India :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3366 on: 14 October, 2022, 07:07:03 pm »
I haven't seen a 'don't reply all' email for years.

Also +1 to fboab thanks for the chortle.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #3367 on: 14 October, 2022, 09:09:14 pm »
Did half this group work for Thomson Reuters? If so I might have been literally your Tidy Haired Thought Leader™.

It is possible I made them do it. I can't remember what I was doing there in 2015, but you probably say that of any year.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3368 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:01:16 am »
They were still plain Thomson when they sent my job to India in June 2006.

ian

« Reply #3369 on: 15 October, 2022, 01:47:25 am »
I joined Thomson in, erm, summer 2006. Involuntarily mind.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3370 on: 15 October, 2022, 02:09:56 am »
I started working for MAID in 1997 and ended up (not) working for Thomson, having also worked for Dialog in the middle.  All without changing jobs.

PaulF

« Reply #3371 on: 15 October, 2022, 03:14:08 am »
Neither my arrival at Thomson, nor my departure from Thomson Reuters were entirely voluntary either.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3372 on: 15 October, 2022, 06:07:33 am »
Wasn't employed directly, but my job  went to Thailand in 2003 when it was decided that the software we wrote for Reuters could be better handled by cheaper people. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3373 on: 15 October, 2022, 09:27:51 am »
I started working for MAID in 1997 and ended up (not) working for Thomson, having also worked for Dialog in the middle.  All without changing jobs.

Ah - with Dan Wagner . . .  I recollect meeting him sometime in the MAID or Dialog days when he turned up wearing a bizarre waistcoat printed with a cartoon picture of a penguin.  WTF?

ian

« Reply #3374 on: 15 October, 2022, 11:28:26 am »
Worked for a start-up that got acquired by Thomson, which became Thomson Reuters, then I ended up in the healthcare and science division that was hived off and bought up by the usual bunch of bankers and given a name that sounded like a spot cream (branding goal unlocked!)

Not without some irony, that bit of ex-Thomson has now re-acquired Dialog.

Thomson had the best parties in Florida every January though.