Author Topic: MTB chainset on a road bike - will it work?  (Read 13969 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: MTB chainset on a road bike - will it work?
« Reply #25 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:24:06 am »
It's worth mentioning that an another important spec to match is top-middle teeth on the chainset.
MTB front mechs are designed for 12T difference
Road (triple) front mechs are designed for 10T difference

Therefore, a road front mech (needed for road shifters) may not shift an MTB chainset as smoothly as you want it to. However, I understand lots of touring cyclists use this setup so you may as well just give it a try.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #26 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:27:37 am »
Yes, indeed.  However it should be noted that the 6700 FD has a minimum outer to middle difference of 13 teeth.  This means that, on the Impact with only 10 teeth diff., the FD has to be set higher than optimal or the inner plate catches on the middle ring.  Hope that makes sense.  It still works OK though.  BTW, if you read the blurb, Shimano say that you should only use the 6700 FD with the corresponding shifter.  However, I think the only difference is that the 6700 FD has a lighter action more suited to the 6700 shifter.  Not essential though.

PS When I first got my SRAM 10 speed cassette I was not aware, or not available at the time, that SRAM did a 12-32 cassette.  I have just bought a second cassette for my spare wheels in 12-32 which is an almost perfect set of ratios.  :thumbsup:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #27 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:29:19 am »
Yes, indeed.  However it should be noted that the 6700 FD has a minimum outer to middle difference of 13 teeth.  This means that, on the Impact with only 10 teeth diff., the FD has to be set higher than optimal or the inner plate catches on the middle ring.

Isn't that for double though?
Pen Pusher

« Reply #28 on: 12 July, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »
Nope - Mine is a triple FD and it is defo 13 teeth minimum.  I didn't notice until I tried to change into the big ring and everything jammed up.  Then I read the instructions.  Had to raise the mech up a bit but still changes OK.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #29 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:49:33 pm »
Just to reformulate my question, would a 10 speed Dyna Sys MTB crankset work with normal 10 speed chain and with a road 10 speed front derailleur?

« Reply #30 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:03:14 am »
Just to reformulate my question, would a 10 speed Dyna Sys MTB crankset work with normal 10 speed chain and with a road 10 speed front derailleur?

my understanding is perhaps but would be a bodge, the MTB chainset would have a 50mm chainline and the road FD would be expecting 45mm. It's then a question of will the road FD give you enough play to accomodate the extra 5mm.

As for whether the Dynasys differs in actual ring thickness and spacing, not as far as I'm aware, so chain etc should be fine.

It would all work fine with a square taper chainset though I've only set a triple like this to a 48t outer ring. If it was something like a 42/44 then it may be fiddlier to get the FD positioned correctly. Re the min teeth difference big to middle I've found that was dealt with by height of FD.
Nuns, no sense of humour

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #31 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:56:21 am »
The determining factor for mtb chainsets on my bike seems to be whether you have enough space between the mech and the chainstay for the smallest ring. My 2300 front mech just clears the chainstay (within 2mm) on the tourer with a 22t inner ring.

I use square a taper BB, so the chainline can be adapted a bit more easily than with external BBs I suspect.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!