Author Topic: The MF 1200 from Audax Ireland  (Read 23325 times)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
Re: The MF 1200 from Audax Ireland
« Reply #100 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:26:58 pm »
I had a look at the control close times. It looks like we'll need to go through 400k at 15 km/h average speed.
But for the whole 1,200k ride 13.3 km/h. So lower avg speed needed for the latter stages. Is this common
practise in long audaxes? Non-linear control point timings? Looks like with the 8 am Sat start, and suggested
6 am Sun start to catch the first ferry crossing early on day 2, might be a good idea to try to go at a decent
brisk pace on Sat. And try to be back at Midleton at 1-2 am. Which would mean 20 km/h incl stops. Which
could be a challenge with eight controls to get PoP receipts, eat breaks and stops to take photos and enjoy the
scenery!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #101 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
1000s and 1200s typically require the first 600km to be ridden in 40 hours.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #102 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »
1000s and 1200s typically require the first 600km to be ridden in 40 hours.

Aha, but not LEL at 1,400k I just checked on my brevet card from last year. Good, just learned
something new about Audaxes then!  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #103 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:54:21 pm »
Correct. Beyond 1300km, the organiser has the option (but not requirement) to have a constant minimum speed. Mille Miglia (1600km) reduces the minimum speed in 3 increments, from memory.

« Reply #104 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:01:53 pm »
Good luck to all you MF'rs for a great ride.  I can't ride this one, been very slack this year but I'll be there to give a hand check on the suffering levels at various points along the way.  Forecast is promising !

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #105 on: 18 June, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »
The 5 day forecast looks to be dry, comfortably warm and still, therefore debating how much rain gear to take.

Also been looking at the controls for night travel. Looks like you have to stock long before 10pm

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #106 on: 19 June, 2014, 11:47:07 am »
The 5 day forecast looks to be dry, comfortably warm and still, therefore debating how much rain gear to take.

Also been looking at the controls for night travel. Looks like you have to stock long before 10pm

Looks like a decent camera or cameraphone would be good for taking photos of the controls when shut, as suggested by the organisers.
I for one wont be going 'eyeballs out' at the start just to get to bed early...Will be saving my energy for Day 3 Ring of Kerry and beyond.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Bairn Again

« Reply #107 on: 19 June, 2014, 12:34:42 pm »
Hope that everybody riding this has an excellent time. 

Im sure you will, it looks a wonderful ride and I expect that you will be well looked after by Audax Ireland. 

Looks like the luck of the Irish has extended to the weather as well (fingers crossed).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #108 on: 19 June, 2014, 12:40:48 pm »
Enjoy this ride everyone - it looks amazing. 

Very sad to not ride it; my half Irish wife (but a plastic paddy as she was born in the US) always said that if a long ride happened in Ireland, I would have to go do it and she'd go visit family etc. However, this clashed with what I stated was my big goal of the year, the 24, so it was no go.  As ever, can't ride them all, but I hope that this is a great success and runs again in the future.

I hope the weather is kind to you.  Ride well everyone.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #109 on: 19 June, 2014, 03:14:37 pm »
Camera gear now loaded on motorbike, just personal effects to go. Depart Liverpool tonight 21.00, arrive Dublin 05.00. Looking forward to a scenic few days.

Chris S

« Reply #110 on: 19 June, 2014, 08:58:24 pm »
We're trying hard to ignore this thread (and others, TBH), as we should have been riding; until our season turned to poo.

But we know some of the riders on this event, and we'd wish them All the Best. In fact, we'd wish all the riders, All the Best for the ride. Have a great time  :thumbsup:.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #111 on: 19 June, 2014, 09:24:51 pm »
On our second train of the evening (despite a couple of potential pitfalls) to get the overnight ferry and a further couple of trains tomorrow. Looking forward to dry weather, good riding and meeting old friends.

« Reply #112 on: 20 June, 2014, 01:55:03 pm »
At Gatwick. A nice man took my bike away earlier, unfazed by the size of the box it is in, and I now have a pint, a paper and a disappointing burger.

If that's the worst I have to put up with I'm sure I'll cope.

Pete Mas

« Reply #113 on: 20 June, 2014, 10:42:56 pm »
Ryanair was ok, but the taxi drivers at Cork airport weren't interested in taking me only 4k with bike box to the Travelodge. A coach bus service came to the rescue.Met up with Rob &Aidan.New brake blocks in Cork and nice pizza with VC 167 tonight so all set for the start tomorrow.

R.L.Stevenson

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #114 on: 20 June, 2014, 11:27:13 pm »
Have a good ride guys! I hope the weather is kind and the drivers kinder.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #115 on: 21 June, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
.New brake blocks in Cork and nice pizza with VC 167 tonight so all set for the start tomorrow.
Cork is very outdated as material for brake-blocks  :hand:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #116 on: 21 June, 2014, 05:49:05 pm »
Good luck to everyone on this.  :thumbsup:

H

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #117 on: 24 June, 2014, 08:31:05 pm »
Weather was kind. Sunshine or clouds for 4 days straight. The locals repeatedly assured me that Ireland is always like this, April through October. Perhaps they are all in the pay of the Irish Tourist Board.

More later, after beer and meal.

« Reply #118 on: 24 June, 2014, 08:35:38 pm »
Well done, D.  (The locals were lying.)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #119 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
Well done. The orgs have been updating Facebook regularly. Some fabulous pictures. 

This looks like it has been a very special ride and you've been very lucky with the weather!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #120 on: 25 June, 2014, 03:45:59 am »
The weather was extremely kind, the hills and road surfaces less forgiving, and the people and the views lovely. None of this is stopping my knees from grumbling.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #121 on: 25 June, 2014, 08:04:08 am »
Weather was kind. Sunshine or clouds for 4 days straight. The locals repeatedly assured me that Ireland is always like this, April through October. Perhaps they are all in the pay of the Irish Tourist Board.

More later, after beer and meal.

:thumbsup:

H

Pete Mas

« Reply #122 on: 25 June, 2014, 07:07:24 pm »
Back home in London by lunchtime. Only wish I could have had a relaxing week afterwards here as a tourist, as it was my first time in Ireland.

Once again thanks is too small a word for John and all of his friends and helpers. Laid-back organisational brilliance, with real homespun hospitality from all. Loved the idea of showing the controllers photographic evidence of rider, bike and control town, when otherwise it was too late for receipts.

This ride certainly delivered as promised, and more. Great to ride and chat with audaxing friends old and new. Some marvellous scenery, and quiet climbs on small roads, and some fast adrenaline-rush and filling-rattling descents, as well as long descents which helped keep up average speed. My hilly season to date certainly helped with the hills, which of course are steeper in places than averages might suggest  :). A 1200km audax is so long that by the end it almost becomes a part of your being, with rider road and bike in harmony and unison, and the final 160km were equally enjoyable as the first, except every now and then I had to remind myself not to slow down too much, as I definitely didn't want to miss one of those fantastic finisher's medals. Also, sleep deprivation does funny things, and my speed dropped in the last few hours, but its still possible to be self-aware enough to ride safe.

To summarise, another classic 1200k audax is now in the calendar, tempting you to enter, in maybe 2 year's time. Will look at the facebook photos , and hopefully post all of mine there later as well.

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #123 on: 25 June, 2014, 09:30:42 pm »
Pete

Great to hear you enjoyed the ride and Ireland.

See you soon

Joolz

paul851

« Reply #124 on: 26 June, 2014, 02:10:59 pm »
A great event , loved nearly every minute of it and the support was great as was the scenery . I was in a comfortable position by the end day two with at least five hours in hand when I reached Killarney only to have lost most of it when I got back  and left for the final push with only thirty minutes to play with but managed make the finish as lanterne rouge along with one of the Irish riders GearĂ³id .

Paul