Author Topic: 300 perm recomendations  (Read 1632 times)

300 perm recomendations
« on: 28 August, 2014, 12:08:26 am »
Due to a broken step my goal of riding a 300 this season has been dashed   :'(.  However I hope to be fit enough to ride one in my October half term (17th Oct to 2nd Nov)   :thumbsup:.

Can anyone recommend an easy 300 perm that would suit.  I am not that experienced at night riding but I guess I will get more experience trying to ride a 300 at this time of year!  I am based near Derby but could travel to most places on/near a train line.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: 300 perm recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:25:52 am »
Hello Ed,

You could try this:-

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/mont.htm

The start is near Poynton, which is roughly an hour and a half on the train from Derby, via Stoke, though I'm not sure about getting back because you'll probably be finishing late.  Unless you start in the evening and ride overnight which is nice.  It's a good route and pretty flat.  If you drive over, there is a laybay outside the Deanwater Hotel, where you can park your car.  You can get proof of start and finish at the Shell station just up the road - and hot coffee at all hours from the machine.

Peter

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2014, 07:13:15 am »
The Rough Diamond is a brilliant first 300
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR07/

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2014, 08:01:55 am »
The Rough Diamond is a brilliant first 300
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR07/

yes it`s a great ride (calendar event ) but I`m not sure how the lanes / towpaths sections / City centre @ Glos would be at night (which given earlier dusk now would be  likely)---or do it in reverse ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2014, 08:34:34 am »
You could bypass the towpath and city centre sections if that was the last section.  From what I recall on the Midhurst - Hay 600 the main roads around Gloucester quieten down at night.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:40:46 am »
I can second the advice on the Full Monty. Another of Peak Audax's very fine routes. If using the train then probably worth Travelodging the night before and getting an early start to ensure getting back to Stockport for a latter train home.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:17:10 pm »
You might want to look at an ECE of a 200k event, either by riding through the night before the start, or continuing on and riding an additional 100k after the finish. ECE gives you an awful lot of choice and the org @Martin Malins is very helpful. You might be able to do it from your own front door, which eradicates all that train faffage and need for a hotel etc.
It can work well for an event on a Sunday, when the trains do not start until too late, you can ride from home, do the ECE and get a train home. It takes a bit of planning but is quite do-able.

I have ECE'd an El Supremo event, and was able to stuff my face before the final 30k run home. Also ECE'd a Fairies 200k by adding 100k before the start. ECE is a great idea, I am surprised many more Auks don't use it.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:26:45 pm »
Agreed about ECE - it's particularly convenient if you can find a 200 that's 50km from home ...

(And although calculations are done on the nominal rather than actual distance of the calendar event, your ECE time limit includes any overdistance in the extension, and is based on 14.3km/h. IME you've got plenty of time for food and a chat at the arrivee.)

« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »
if you would like some company, I might be up for the Rough Diamond 300. PM me if interested.

« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
How about this one:

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/NH03/

Not too far from Derby, navigation is easy and climbing not too bad.

« Reply #10 on: 28 August, 2014, 05:23:11 pm »
However I hope to be fit enough to ride one in my October half term (17th Oct to 2nd Nov)   :thumbsup:.

You realise that's next season?

I can second the advice on the Full Monty. Another of Peak Audax's very fine routes.

Yes I think it's a good ride too!  You could even start at Eccleshall if that's any better for you.  Be warned that you need to control at Montgomery during shop and pub hours, but all other controls work over 24 hours.

« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2014, 05:28:02 pm »
What about Everbody rides to Skeggy 300 starting from Alfreton? You may even be able to adjust the start so that you can start from Derby.

http://www.alfretonctc.netii.net/skeggy_permanent_300_routesheet.htm
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »
However I hope to be fit enough to ride one in my October half term (17th Oct to 2nd Nov)   :thumbsup:.

You realise that's next season?

I can second the advice on the Full Monty. Another of Peak Audax's very fine routes.

Yes I think it's a good ride too!  You could even start at Eccleshall if that's any better for you.  Be warned that you need to control at Montgomery during shop and pub hours, but all other controls work over 24 hours.

Unfortunately I am aware it is next season but I don't think I have the time before then to ride a 300 before then.

I'm grateful for all the recomendations and Jethro's offer of company but for ease I think it will be Tom Fox's  everybody rides to Skeggy perm. Failing this 'a rough diamond' looks great. I had entered this as a calender event before my injury.

« Reply #13 on: 29 August, 2014, 10:59:40 pm »
let me know if you need a guide or advice....this is one of my favorite rides...if i survive three weeks in  BoRneo

What about Everbody rides to Skeggy 300 starting from Alfreton? You may even be able to adjust the start so that you can start from Derby.

http://www.alfretonctc.netii.net/skeggy_permanent_300_routesheet.htm

cheers

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL