Author Topic: Camping Quilt  (Read 4147 times)

Camping Quilt
« on: 07 October, 2010, 07:11:37 pm »
Just seen this over on CrazyGuy, it may be of interest to camping couples, or people who don't get on with mummy type bags.

Down Camping Quilts

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index.htm
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Camping Quilt
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:14:58 pm »
I find my Exped Downmat quite warm to sleep on and I now tend to use my sleeping bag unzipped as a quilt on top.
I find it much more comfortable than sleeping constrained by the zipped up bag.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:16:38 pm »
:facepalm:
Getting there...

PH

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »
I've had one for a few years, a large summer weight sew through version.  Bought when the exchange rate was favourable. Looking at the current prices I'm not sure I'd buy now, a decent quality rectangular sleeping bag would be almost as good, though they're not easy to find.  On my own I use an airbed inside a sheet sleeping bag with the quilt just as a cover.  For two we do something similar with two airbeds inside a single duvet cover.  It's good for the sort of three season camping I do, once there's frost on the ground it needs something else, I just wear some clothing in bed.  The airbed, sheet and quilt, makes it like being in bed at home so I always sleep well.
Before I got mine I was looking at a kit to make your own, they supplied everything needed you just did the cutting and stitching, it was around 30% cheaper, but I didn't want to risk it!

« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »
zip open (to flat rectangles) down sleeping bags are popular in Australia and NZ - hard to get in uk, america, japan - best  IME are black, have baffles, high quality fill - but not too much  best brand North Pole

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:32:14 am »
I wonder if there's anyone in the UK that would knock something like that up for you....
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2010, 03:06:32 pm »
Here is a manufacturer/supplier of one in the Netherlands.

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2010, 03:47:09 am »
My feet cook in just about any down sleeping bag ive owned. I tested one to destruction  in Nepal and took it with about 6 m of silnylon, 4m of zip (easily bought s of Thamel in the katmandu markets)  to a "we copy anything" tailors - ran up a quilt baffled bag with original down in about 1 hour. The guy sewed up a compression stuff sack too - total sewing  cost US 10 dollars. One thing i heard was if you are not there to watch things they substitute your high fill down with chicken feathers...The hard bit is to explain what you want and having the material- Ive heard getting bags remade is fairly easy in N india, Chile, maybe NZ....