Author Topic: New Etrex  (Read 31338 times)

Re: New Etrex
« Reply #25 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »
If the new Etrex does power data (via ANT+) then I'd be sold, and I'd look to flog on my Edge 705...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »
If the new Etrex does power data (via ANT+) then I'd be sold, and I'd look to flog on my Edge 705...

Excuse my ignorance but what is power data via ANT+

« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:21:07 pm »
Wireless cadence and stuff....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:27:08 pm »
Got it now, Thanks.

« Reply #29 on: 10 September, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »
I'd guess that they won't do power - I imagine they're really a variant on the Dakota and Oregon, which I gather are pretty similar to each other, and I don't *think* measure power. Even on the Dakota/Oregons that support HRM and cadence, whilst you can measure both, I don't beleive you can set up ranges of the sort that you can on the Edges..

<brief bit of googling..>

http://www8.garmin.com/train-with-garmin/power-meter.html

- I think if you want power if need the Edges/Forerunner mentioned in the link.

I guess accurate info won't really be around 'til the new models hit the market and get reviewed.

« Reply #30 on: 10 September, 2011, 06:11:58 pm »
Wireless cadence and stuff....

No, that comes from a Garmin GSC-10.

Power data comes from SRM power cranks or, what I have, a PowerTap hub.

My Edge 705 can display and record the power data my PowerTap hub sends over ANT+.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »
I will probably move away from my powertaps to the new Vector pedal system next March - far easier to move your pedals, bike to bike, and THEN I can sell my Powertap Zipp Sub 9, .......and buy a house in the country.. 

The original pro+ PT  is being kept incommunicado with the rest of my accident victim Felt
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2011, 09:29:45 am »
new Vector pedal system next March

Don't hold your breath. It's been "next march" for the Vectors for the last 2 or 3 years now...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 25 September, 2011, 06:02:31 pm »
Just noticed there are some proper specs now on the Garmin site...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87774

Highlights include AA batteries  :thumbsup:  and GLONASS (in parallel to GPS) support  :o

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 25 September, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »
To improve development of the user segment, on August 11, 2010, Sergei Ivanov announced a plan to introduce a 25% import duty on all GPS-capable devices, including mobile phones, unless they are compatible with GLONASS. As well, the government is planning to force all car manufacturers in Russia to make cars with GLONASS starting from 2011. This will affect all car makers, including foreign brands like Ford and Toyota, which have car assembly facilities in Russia.[16]

Current GPS and phone baseband chips from major vendors ST-Ericsson,[17] Broadcom[18] and Qualcomm all support GLONASS in combination with GPS. Any import restriction is likely to have little change as most devices shipping worldwide will soon support GLONASS.

I have learned something today.

Now, can a unit run both its GPS and GLONASS systems together and average the location between them to get really good accuracy?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 25 September, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »
Now, can a unit run both its GPS and GLONASS systems together and average the location between them to get really good accuracy?

The Garmin page suggests that the new eTrex does just that in order to obtain a faster fix.  No idea if the overall best-case accuracy is going to be better, but I'd assume that combining the two to give more satellites to play with is going to significantly improve performance when the view of the sky is restricted.

« Reply #36 on: 25 September, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
available for sale?

Frere

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #37 on: 25 September, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
Highlights include ... and GLONASS (in parallel to GPS) support
Kenyeshna Tovaritcsh.
But do the GLONASS satellites talk to the NASA-GPS satellites?  If not, there could be all sorts of parallax errors (viz: that Bond fillum with Jonathan Price as the media tycoon baddie).
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #38 on: 25 September, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »
Highlights include ... and GLONASS (in parallel to GPS) support
Kenyeshna Tovaritcsh.
But do the GLONASS satellites talk to the NASA-GPS satellites?  If not, there could be all sorts of parallax errors (viz: that Bond fillum with Jonathan Price as the media tycoon baddie).

They don't need to talk to each other, the GPS receiver just needs to be able to receive both signals and handle them, but that's still not going to help that much.

<simplification begins>

GPS accuracy isn't all down to the number of satellites you can get a signal from (once you're past the requisitite minimum, although more satellites is always a better thing), it's to do with having access to the really accurate timing info (since it's the timing info that determines your distance from the satellite).

The main difference between military and civilian GPS systems is that the military systems have the encryption keys to decode the least significant bits (in a numerican sense) of the timing data that are encrypted by the satellites. That gets them the most accurate timing info and therefore the most accurate data for the location calculation. The most significant bits of timing data are not encrypted, and so civilian GPS systems can use that to get a reasonable fix for their location (in practice, down to ~3m accuracy). The encrypted bits on the end are ignored, or used in the calculation anyway (since the 'random' encrypted least significant bits will hardly affect the calculation).

Having another 5 sets of timing data and corresponding satellite data (from GLONASS) that's only accurate to a certain level only helps the fudged location calculation in the same way being able to see another 5 normal (Western) GPS satellites would. (My best is, I think, 12 visible satellites up at ~2000m in Southern Chile).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
So it is mainly going to be about speed of obtaining a fix and canyon performance?  Makes sense.  And, like the 'H' receivers, not to be sniffed at.  The "which way do I turn out of the station?" use-case isn't uncommon.

Chris N

« Reply #40 on: 26 September, 2011, 09:25:17 am »
available for sale?

Frere

Not yet. According to a bod in Cotswold, Garmin have delayed it by a month because of supply problems. Maybe by the end of October.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #41 on: 26 September, 2011, 11:02:47 am »
Some US retailers claim to have it
http://www.rei.com/product/825492/garmin-etrex-30-gps
but AFAIK no-one has actually laid hands on one yet.

When it arrives I confidently expect it to be a mixed bag with the plusses (no rubber band, bigger screen) somewhat outweighing the minuses (awful font rendering, fewer routing options).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #42 on: 26 September, 2011, 11:44:43 am »
Apart from the lack of touchscreen, it looks quite similar to the Dakota.
Chief cat entertainer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #43 on: 26 September, 2011, 04:13:23 pm »
All the current mapping handhelds seem very similar - just differ in screen size (the Montana being the biggest) and touchscreen or not.

The manual is now available for download.
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf
(It's down to Garmin's usual standard  :-\

« Reply #44 on: 26 September, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »
The manual is now available for download.
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf

Thanks, looks like it confirms no support for PowerTap power meters so I'll stick with my Edge 705 for now. That's a shame as it looks like quite a nice piece of kit.

« Reply #45 on: 27 September, 2011, 03:03:01 pm »
Looks like the bike mount will fit on the stem - that's a plus.  Looks a bit fugly though
The sound of one pannier flapping

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #46 on: 27 September, 2011, 04:13:10 pm »
Its the same mount as is already in use for the Dakota and Oregon amomg others.  Stem yes.  Bars yes.  Secure yes.  Fugly yes.

« Reply #47 on: 27 September, 2011, 04:50:32 pm »
Hopefully they'll have some demo models at the BIke show, wouldnt mind a good play with one.  I am tempted

« Reply #48 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:17:17 pm »
Seems like lots of enthusiasm for the Etrex.
Can anyone explain to a beginner why it is better than, say, an Edge 500?

Steve

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:23:51 pm »
Two words:

"AA batteries"

They're also a bit more general-purpose than the Edge series, designed for handheld hiking use.  Which is obviously a no-brainer if you want something that's good off the bike, as well as on, but also because it makes fewer assumptions about what cyclists want a GPS receiver to do (you don't, for example, have to remember to press something to make it start logging).

I reckon the eTrex is a lot more in line with the needs of a touring cyclist than the Edge.  Obviously if you're into logging training sessions the Edge wins on the basis of sensor support.  For audax type riding, it's a lot less clear cut - the Edge is more bike-oriented, but power becomes an issue.