Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119524 times)

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Reply #150 on: 22 August, 2018, 04:47:22 pm »

« Reply #151 on: 22 August, 2018, 05:04:59 pm »

Ben T

« Reply #152 on: 23 August, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
its occurred to me that AUK IT refresh is a little bit like Brexit. In the sense that (some/most of) the populace wants to do one thing, but the powers that be/elected representatives know that they need to do something else for reasons that the populace don't fully appreciate.
Similar in the respect that, the powers that be have spent a lot of time dealing with the detail and intricacies and have their own ideas as to how problems need to be solved, but the public weigh in with their 'concern' over 'where "our" money is going'.
Also similar in the respect that the IT contractor/the EU is perceived as 'the bad guy' and that they, and the deal with them, isn't without its problems, but that they are needed.

I'm not sure the membership should be given the vote on whether to can the project or not/what to do, since they (we) don't know the detail and the intricacies of the whys and wherefores.

Chris S

« Reply #153 on: 23 August, 2018, 02:27:24 pm »
its occurred to me that AUK IT refresh is a little bit like Brexit.

Er, no. Pretty much everyone who has contact with the AUK IT backend feels it urgently needs some updating.

There was never ever any need for Brexit.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #154 on: 23 August, 2018, 02:33:55 pm »
its occurred to me that AUK IT refresh is a little bit like Brexit. In the sense that (some/most of) the populace wants to do one thing, but the powers that be/elected representatives know that they need to do something else for reasons that the populace don't fully appreciate.
Similar in the respect that, the powers that be have spent a lot of time dealing with the detail and intricacies and have their own ideas as to how problems need to be solved, but the public weigh in with their 'concern' over 'where "our" money is going'.
Also similar in the respect that the IT contractor/the EU is perceived as 'the bad guy' and that they, and the deal with them, isn't without its problems, but that they are needed.

I'm not sure the membership should be given the vote on whether to can the project or not/what to do, since they (we) don't know the detail and the intricacies of the whys and wherefores.

You can't compare Chris Crossland with Teresa May

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #155 on: 23 August, 2018, 02:51:34 pm »
Er, no. Pretty much everyone who has contact with the AUK IT backend feels it urgently needs some updating.

*applause*

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #156 on: 23 August, 2018, 03:00:41 pm »

Brexit is definitely not in the spirit of Long Distance Cycling!
Owner of a languishing Langster

Ben T

« Reply #157 on: 23 August, 2018, 03:11:39 pm »

... which most members  haven't  :-\

don't think the analogy stretches that far  ;D

« Reply #158 on: 23 August, 2018, 03:13:19 pm »
It's as well to emphasise that this sort of story is pretty widespread in the world of clubs and societies.

The one component that's missing is external funding. That usually brings with it a whole raft of diversity commitments that are being rehearsed on the other thread. That means that the organisation becomes answerable to external bodies.

AUK hasn't gone down that routes, so sorting the situation out is entirely within its own grasp.

« Reply #159 on: 23 August, 2018, 04:42:37 pm »

Gulp, an end to the democratic process as we knew it? Chairman Mao would be pleased.

Yet another arcane example of giving the people the vote.

« Reply #160 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:05:33 pm »
The Brexit vote seems to provide a fine model....

That was a choice between continue as we are in the frying pan, hoping our politicians don't let things get too hot, or jump into a fire of completely unknown severity, with absolutely no agreement as to how we might protect ourselves from the flames. 

So with the idea of a ballot on the IT project.
What are the choices?

a) Allow the board to continue with the project, taking whatever steps are necessary to control future expenditure and bring forward proposals to fund it.

and what?

so far the suggestions seem to have been along the lines of:
b) i)   Abandon the project and do nothing, until aukweb and those who maintain it, "go under a bus" 
b) ii)  Abandon the project and have AUK volunteers redevelop aukweb
b) iii)  Ditch Control F1 and find another vendor to continue the project as envisaged
b) iv)  Ditch Control F1 and start with a completely different project, different vendor and different project managers
b) v)  Replace the Board and Project team with people who know what they are doing.
b) vi)  Fill in your own suggestion here

Although I suppose it doesn't have to a binary vote....

Of course, choosing anything other than a) or b) i) presupposes a whole new crop of volunteers to manage the project - who didn't step forward the first time around.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #161 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:10:23 pm »
<snip>

So with the idea of a ballot on the IT project.
What are the choices?

a) Allow the board to continue with the project, taking whatever steps are necessary to control future expenditure and bring forward proposals to fund it.

and what?

so far the suggestions seem to have been along the lines of:
b) i)   Abandon the project and do nothing, until aukweb and those who maintain it, "go under a bus" 
b) ii)  Abandon the project and have AUK volunteers redevelop aukweb
b) iii)  Ditch Control F1 and find another vendor to continue the project as envisaged
b) iv)  Ditch Control F1 and start with a completely different project, different vendor and different project managers
b) v)  Replace the Board and Project team with people who know what they are doing.

Although I suppose it doesn't have to a binary vote....

Of course, choosing anything other than a) or b) i) presupposes a whole new crop of volunteers to manage the project - who didn't step forward the first time around.

And here my inner voting system geek twitches. If you were to have a vote based on those 6 options, you would need to make sure you use a preferential voting system, else you can get a win, with 1/6th of votes + 1, meaning that 5/6ths-1, didn't want that option.

Having a vote we would either need to use a preferential voting system, or have a series of run off elections...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #162 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:16:40 pm »
I really don't think Brexit analogies are relevant in any meaningful way to this thread.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #163 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:22:47 pm »

b) i)   Abandon the project and do nothing, until aukweb and those who maintain it, "go under a bus"....

I find this quite offensive especially as they are all volunteers offering their time to the organisation for free (just remind me of your contribution if you please?). As I understand the overspend is due to unforeseen circumstances, which by definition where not know at the time. I don't remember you foreseeing any of this when the project started.
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #164 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:27:12 pm »
I really don't think Brexit analogies are relevant in any meaningful way to this thread.

It's the new godwin...

J
--

« Reply #165 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:29:23 pm »

It's the new godwin...

J

My thoughts exactly  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #166 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:37:28 pm »
Some might not know that Somnolent is AUK's Event Services Director and Recorder.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #167 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:41:01 pm »
the beauty of forums....
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #168 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »
Some might not know that Somnolent is AUK's Event Services Director and Recorder.
Damn - outed!
 ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #169 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:44:32 pm »
I'm known for having a big mouth...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #170 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:09:57 pm »
You?  No, the very model of discretion, restraint and reserve, surely!

« Reply #171 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:14:12 pm »
Don't call him Shirley....

CrinklyLion

« Reply #172 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »

« Reply #173 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »

My suggestion:-

Ditch F1. No more money to them if it can be helped. Ensure IP of what has been developed is handed over. Thanks but no more. (IMHO I don't think it will work out well to continue the relationship as is.)

Use AUK volunteers to get the existing code in to a more supportable state (i.e. to be able to run on the latest versions of php, whatever DB is in use, everything else). FF/FC needs not to be so critical (and I'm sure he doesn't want to be.)

Volunteers (and I will chuck my hat into the ring) continue to deal with the backend.
Transition the backend to an API style interface that the front end can use to get the data it needs to display. PHP can easily be used to return json/xml/etc, I'm not saying ditch PHP (it's not my preferred option but it works and it is there already).

Once a chunk of backend work has been done find a company to help with the front end of the site (user side first) as volunteers IME to do front end stuff rarely works well. It should be easier to create a stronger RFP once the backend is in a better state.
Various aspects of the backend need to be redesigned to cope with the way that AUK is evolving (DIYs, more GPX, ECEs, etc), this needs to be done in situ and as transparently as possible to the people dealing with the front end. API endpoints don't change as the code/DB behind them does unless necessary.
Redesign of backend needs to cope with the incomplete legacy data. It's relatively simple but I can see why a contracted company is going to claim this is harder than it is, that's where their profit margin and leverage often lies.

Any UI work requires a clear vision of what the user is expecting to see. I've no idea if that exists already. Plans for improvements (better visualisation of rides/routes/elevation, etc) needs to be considered from early on in the back end for ezample.

The backend UI (organisers/Admins) is just as important for the efficient operation of AUK, but can often be done without paid UI professionals.

I guess my main point is that there is a whole load of volunteer work that could be done on the back end (and a bit on the existing front end) that can be done before any more paid work needs to be done.

It'll probably take a load more of FF's time, but at least he knows that the person at the other end of the conversation isn't making a chunk of money each time.

To put it simply, I think the backend should be kept in house, and it needs to be rationalised by a group of volunteers (to spread the risk) before the front end is improved.

Anyway, that's my half arsed interpretation of it all. Happy to be told I'm wrong on any of it.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #174 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:54:26 pm »

My suggestion:-

Ditch F1. No more money to them if it can be helped. Ensure IP of what has been developed is handed over. Thanks but no more. (IMHO I don't think it will work out well to continue the relationship as is.)

<snip the sensible stuff>

Gets my vote, I'll even volunteer to help with overview, design stuff, I'm not a PHP programmer, and my embedded C programming background won't be much use, but I can problem be useful with integration/api stuff.

J
--