Author Topic: Another tyres question!  (Read 10624 times)

Re: Another tyres question!
« Reply #25 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:48:21 am »
gp4seasons in 32mm for £15 per tyre please, and with a proper kevlar belt

Yes, they grip well, I used to ride those confidently on all conditions. But not very puncture-resistant to glass (the belt is too narrow).

The Michelin Krylions were similar
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:46:14 am »
finally tracked down some swalbe G one speed 30mm. (75 bucks a tire :o )
pick them up in NYC this weekend and will report back.
often lost.

« Reply #27 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:19:09 pm »
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/wheels-tyres-and-tubes

For those experimenting with larger volume tyres, there are some crackers on there. I'm running 44mm Snoqualmie Pass Extralights. The are crazy thin and light. I've only done a 200km on them, but I can confirm that the roll so nice at 50psi. In that we were in the first bunch to the first control, I don't think they are slow. ICBA to geek out on the Jan Heine experiment data, but certainly they feel ace in slippery conditions, secure on descents, and float over crappy surfaces. I'm putting 35mm Bon Jon Extralights on Stans Grails set up tubeless for my incoming Bish Bash Bosh "gravel" bike

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:43:05 pm »
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/wheels-tyres-and-tubes

For those experimenting with larger volume tyres, there are some crackers on there. I'm running 44mm Snoqualmie Pass Extralights. The are crazy thin and light. I've only done a 200km on them, but I can confirm that the roll so nice at 50psi. In that we were in the first bunch to the first control, I don't think they are slow. ICBA to geek out on the Jan Heine experiment data, but certainly they feel ace in slippery conditions, secure on descents, and float over crappy surfaces. I'm putting 35mm Bon Jon Extralights on Stans Grails set up tubeless for my incoming Bish Bash Bosh "gravel" bike

I love the look of the Rivendell Jack Brown tyres - that checkerboard pattern is bonkers. Also tempted to try the Compass Stampede Pass - they look like an ideal audax tyre. Not tubeless-ready though.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 01 February, 2017, 01:48:29 pm »
I've got some Bon Jons set us tubeless and they're smooth and seem to roll well. I've also got some stampede pass waiting for spring, when I'll try them tubeless. It seems a lot of people use them tubeless already, but again keep pressures low. If you read the compass history, the tubeless ready tyres evolved first with a different shape bead module and only later upgraded the head material. Hence early tyres had a 60psi limit, which is plenty for a. If tyre of course.

Mike

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 01 February, 2017, 02:57:00 pm »
Compass website says tubes are required for the Stampede Pass, but if people are using them tubeless successfully I won't argue with them over it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #31 on: 01 February, 2017, 03:13:05 pm »
There's a review out there somewhere where Jan Heine responds to claims that his tyres weep when Stans is used to say that they are designed for use with Orange Seal. I'm letting my LBS build my bike, but supplied the Orange Seal. The mechanic groaned - he doesn't rate it. I'll let you know how I get on.

« Reply #32 on: 01 February, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »
My Bon Jons have been fine with caffelatex. Took a couple of rides to settle as the extra leger sidewalks really are thin, but nothing to write home about.

Mike

« Reply #33 on: 08 February, 2017, 07:55:43 am »
Another bike is a 26" mtb that is used mostly on the road and easy towpaths/ tracks. I'm looking for better tyres than cityjets. I don't know what tyre width is on the bike now but reckon over 2". My partner just swapped knobbly tyres for slicks the same width, well the lbs did without suggesting thinner tyres might be better.

She hasn't had a single puncture in over a year since greeting them. Before that she rode a stretch of road that was really bad for punctures so got a lot. Sane stretch, nothing! The trouble is they're too fat and she feels they're very slow tyres. Matches the rider though we need every bit of help so any faster tyre options?

We need good puncture resistance, decent grip and a better rolling resistance/faster ride.

I have marathon plus tyres and no punctures. Would this be a good option for this mtb? Supremes? What widths? 1.75" or 1.5" possible/advisable? Don't know rim width but it came with typical mtb tyres/wheels not fat or semi fat. Whatever the common rim size for 7 or 8 year old MTBs will be what this is.

Any recommendations?

« Reply #34 on: 08 February, 2017, 08:07:53 am »
Marathon plus are not fast tyres.

It's difficult to suggest 'faster' tyres without knowing what your partner is currently using.
Plus, rider perception of 'fast' is not always correct. One of the riding magazines verified this by sending out testers on bikes with various tyres but not letting the riders have cycle computers. The riders reported their perceptions of the tyres as 'fast' etc. Sometimes the perceived 'slow' tyres were delivering faster times.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #35 on: 08 February, 2017, 09:38:42 am »
....Any recommendations?

yes;  you can think about 26x1.125"  or 26x1.25" tyres (and they might be fractionally faster than 1.5" ones on smooth surfaces) but most MTBs have unyieldingly stiff frames and (if rigid) forks too.  This means that narrower tyres are often slower (or at least no faster) than slightly wider ones of similar construction, yet are a good deal less comfortable.

You say you want

...good puncture resistance, decent grip and a better rolling resistance/faster ride....

well, don't we all....  you need to prioritise these things; if there were one tyre that embodies them all, we'd all be using that.... ;).  Also you need to say where ride comfort and price come in that list.  Maybe you take ride comfort  for granted at present; trust me, you most likely won't do this again once you have tried 26 x 1.125" tyres pumped up hard on a typical MTB.

FWIW Schwalbe Kojaks are a decent tyre.

cheers

« Reply #36 on: 13 February, 2017, 02:43:57 pm »
There's a review out there somewhere where Jan Heine responds to claims that his tyres weep when Stans is used to say that they are designed for use with Orange Seal. I'm letting my LBS build my bike, but supplied the Orange Seal. The mechanic groaned - he doesn't rate it. I'll let you know how I get on.

So using Orange Seal -- still weep so bad that my LBS think they are rubbish. We'll see if the bon jons settle down, but they look at foamy mess at 60psi on the first go.

« Reply #37 on: 13 February, 2017, 05:06:16 pm »

So using Orange Seal -- still weep so bad that my LBS think they are rubbish. We'll see if the bon jons settle down, but they look at foamy mess at 60psi on the first go.

I'd be surpised if you need 60psi in Bon Jons. Put 20psi in, spin them and the up 10 psi at a time. I ride mine at 45 to 50 rear and 40 to 45 front. That's plenty at 13 stone.

« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:13:42 am »

The LBS called yesterday to show the finished bike - they are just setting it up according to the bike fit. the mechanic came out and said "I was wrong - the bon jons are amazing - they've stayed up from the first time I put air in them"

« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2017, 11:18:52 am »
Another bike is a 26" mtb that is used mostly on the road and easy towpaths/ tracks.

We need good puncture resistance, decent grip and a better rolling resistance/faster ride.

Any recommendations?

I've been using Continental Travel Contact 26" x 1.75" for commuting / extensive touring for many years and absolutely love them.  Not a single puncture in over 20,000 miles and that includes riding fully loaded over some of the worst off-road terrain you can take a bike on.

The smooth band in the centre means they are relatively fast rolling on tarmac, but you can lower the pressure when on loose stuff so the treads on the shoulders kick in.  The thick centre band means they last for many thousands of miles before needing replacing.  Can't really see what else you want in a tyre where weight isn't critical.

I have 6 stashed in case they go out of production!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #40 on: 21 February, 2017, 12:17:35 pm »
Another bike is a 26" mtb that is used mostly on the road and easy towpaths/ tracks. I'm looking for better tyres than cityjets. I don't know what tyre width is on the bike now but reckon over 2". My partner just swapped knobbly tyres for slicks the same width, well the lbs did without suggesting thinner tyres might be better.

She hasn't had a single puncture in over a year since greeting them. Before that she rode a stretch of road that was really bad for punctures so got a lot. Sane stretch, nothing! The trouble is they're too fat and she feels they're very slow tyres. Matches the rider though we need every bit of help so any faster tyre options?

I have marathon plus tyres and no punctures. Would this be a good option for this mtb? Supremes? What widths? 1.75" or 1.5" possible/advisable? Don't know rim width but it came with typical mtb tyres/wheels not fat or semi fat. Whatever the common rim size for 7 or 8 year old MTBs will be what this is.

Any recommendations?

I'm very fond of my cityjets! I've done years of generally messing about on a single set, including some 70 mile charidee rides. 60 PSI for a 120kg lard arse and they roll OK.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #41 on: 21 February, 2017, 02:33:29 pm »
I'd be inclined to recommend the Marathon Almotion.
Bicyclerollingresistance.com reckon they are faster than the Marathon Supreme or Voyager Hyper, they aren't a smooth tread, and Schwalbe say very good puncture resistance. The downside is that the green anti-puncture layer adds significant weight
https://www.rosebikes.com/article/schwalbe-marathon-almotion-dynamic-casing-touring-tyre-folding-tyre/aid:789509

« Reply #42 on: 23 March, 2017, 04:33:17 pm »
An update on the Swalbe G ones. in 30mm.
Yes they are super fast and grippy.
I was hoping to use them as the go-to rubber for transcontinental race in July, but they are so damn hard to seat that I dare not risk it. They took 140 psi to coax them on to the rims proper like. (Bel He'd +)
So its probably back to the marathon supremes in a 32mm for TCR#5. I'm being warned though that, as fast as I think they are, they are not really at the higher end of "rollability."
Anyone got feedback on Roubaix 32's? Something else thats bomb proof, squishy, fast, and doesn't require an hour of cursing and tears to seat on the rim?

often lost.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #43 on: 23 March, 2017, 06:44:20 pm »
Durano Plus are readily available in 32mm, roll well, wear well and have the same puncture belt as Marathons.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #44 on: 23 March, 2017, 06:49:50 pm »
They roll like an iron slug compared to the tyres he is looking at. I would look vittoria voyager hyper in 32mm
<i>Marmite slave</i>

dim

« Reply #45 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:53:46 pm »
for commuting:

Vittoria Rubino Pro Control

for fast.....  Specialized S-Works Turbo Cotton
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #46 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:04:56 pm »
They roll like an iron slug compared to the tyres he is looking at. I would look vittoria voyager hyper in 32mm

Funieee.  :D
Are the vittorias decent with puncture resistance? I have a bit of an agenda against the manufacturer (possibly totally unfounded in this case) as I frequently ran through expensive open paves  racing due to multiple side wall cuts..and switched to s-works turbos with much better results.
I've had similar dim puncture experiences with contis too, but thats going back some.

Its a weird combination needed for a TCR type race. Medium fat/fast/robust. I'm also keen to have tyres that come off the rim ok as I will be using tubes and some of the tubeless ready options are ridiculously tight.

Lot of the guys are going 25's but I aint doing that with kit on board.

often lost.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »
The Hypers are good tyres, I commute on them. Just scrub them in very well before trying to get round wet corners.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #48 on: 23 March, 2017, 10:05:42 pm »
I'm a biggish lad (1.95m, currently ~100kg), and I've done maybe 2000km on my current set of 35mm hypers without incident; the rear's got a few cuts in the rubber but nothing major or through the carcass. As LWaB notes, they're a bit slippy in the wet at first; I'm going to scrub my next pair before I fit them. Best of all they're only about £15 for the 35s at Planet X (a bit more for the 32mm).

« Reply #49 on: 23 March, 2017, 11:26:34 pm »
They were £11.99 from px when i got them this week. I'm k looking forward to trying them out next week.