Author Topic: Gore Windstopper clothing?  (Read 4848 times)

Gore Windstopper clothing?
« on: 13 February, 2017, 11:14:18 am »
Anyone have any clothes made from Gore Windstopper clothing?
This stuff
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collections/fleece-and-soft-shell-outdoor-camping/products/gore-windstopper-energy-3-layer

How breathable is it, and if you are out in rain does it get soaked and clammy?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Gore Windstopper clothing?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:20:25 am »
I have Windstopper leggings and a fleece hat.
Both do exactly as it says on the tin. Neither are boil-in-the-bag.

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:42:07 am »
How much stretch is there in the fabric?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:43:31 am »

Enough.  Love Gore Windstopper. 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:46:09 am »
The legs are very stretchy - but there's only the one ply of fabric.
With the hat it is harder to tell as the windstopper is sitting between the fleece outer and inner lining of the hat.

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:49:20 am »

Enough.  Love Gore Windstopper.

Not enough for me! I've got some of their tights, and find them a bit constricting in the knees. Don't like them, but that's probably just me (I don't get on with Gore shorts, either).

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »
Windstopper is a thin membrane that's used with other fabrics, like goretex but more breathable and less water resistant.

Something that calls itself Windstopper could be a light shell with the membrane laminated to it, and nothing else (such as one of my gilets, from which the membrane is peeling in large sheets), or it could be a double layer of fairly thick fleece with the membrane in the middle, like the gloves I wore to work this morning.

Windstopper Energy 3 layer is only one of many types of windstopper fabric laminations. It's mainly used in softshell jackets, but it doesn't follow that all windstopper softshell jackets use Windstopper Energy 3 layer fabric (they definitely don't). Going by a quick google, it's used more in workwear than performance outdoor products.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2017, 02:56:28 pm »
I tried some Windstopper arm warmers, didn't really like it. Just not stretchy enough for a snug fit, when you bend the elbows etc.

And feels a bit 'plasticky' on the skin. Maybe better if you had a base layer underneath.

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2017, 03:04:32 pm »
I had an interesting chat with a lass in Cotswolds camping at lunchtime; asked her if there was an equivalent to buffalo gear on the market (summary of reply "not in this shop, we are city centre and sell to city people, shops in the walking areas have different stock") followed by a discussion of what 'real' outdoor gear meant if you were outdoors for a long time.

She ended up suggesting that I try to revive my old Montane extreme jacket and look on ebay "That's what I do. People buy the expensive stuff for one big expedition and sell it."

She didn't have a very high opinion of using gore-tex-type 'fashionable' jackets and stuff if you are outdoors for a sustained period of time in foul weather.

It was refreshing to speak to someone in a shop who was knowledgeable and honest.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2017, 07:51:46 pm »
I've got some of this fabric, but I've not had the chance to turn it into anything yet. It's not really got any appreciable stretch, and doesn't look especially warm/fleecy, but does look as though it would make a good material for the front of a gilet or 3 season jersey/jacket.

« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2017, 04:52:47 pm »
Back to the original Q; is there a spanky shop in London that would stock a broad selection of the gear I'm after?
I'll be right in town, but no car.
I would pay a visit to Condor on the Grays Inn Road, but I'm not terribly confident that you'll find what you're looking for just sitting on the shelves of any London store that I can think of.

« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2017, 06:56:53 pm »
My Windstopper is my favourite winter jacket. It has an uncanny ability to shut out the cold and wind, and I commute for much of the winter with only a shirt under it (short distances, mind). In real rain, I'll switch to something waterproof, but light drizzle I can ignore.

It won't last forever though, and I'm wondering where I can find another without paying £200. I think this one must have been second hand.

« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2017, 08:02:18 pm »
I have a Ground Effect jacket with a Windstopper front. Works a treat. Don't expect Lycra-style figure-hugging, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2017, 11:20:54 pm »
Most of my Winter riding is in a pair of Windstopper leg-warmers.
I find them excellent for keeping out the wind (natch... ) but they're also fairly water resistant so it takes a while before rain or road-spray penetrates.
Mine are 2015 vintage and they even fit well; stretchy enough not to bunch and they don't tend to ride down.
I've also got a pair of WS arm-warmers. They're good at keeping my arms and hands warm but they don't compress enough to fit as well as I'd like them to.

I have an earlier (2010?) pair of the leg-warmers and they're rubbish by comparison. They keep the wind out OK but they don't fit because they don't stretch enough. I'm continually pulling them up so I only wear them for short rides and commuting these days.

FWIW, I also have a pair of Endura bibs that are said to have waterproof panels in various places as well as being wind-proof elsewhere. They're also pretty good but I had to buy a pair that are slightly too small since that's all that there was in stock. I could do with M rather than the S that I got.
For really cold days I also wear some WS 3/4 running shorts over the top to keep my knees warm. They fit OK (no better than that) but water beads on them for a surprisingly long time before it penetrates.

Castelli do some interesting looking products including the Tempesta pants and leg-warmers:-
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Bottoms/Cyclocross/TEMPESTA-FM-RACE-PANT/p/451650517P
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Accessories/Warmers/TEMPESTA-LEG-WARMER/p/451551417P

Sealskin have recently launched a range of waterproof bibs and leg-warmers:-
https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/newarrivals/waterproof-cycling-tights
https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/newarrivals/waterproof-leg-warmers

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:13:53 am »
Back to the original Q; is there a spanky shop in London that would stock a broad selection of the gear I'm after?
I'll be right in town, but no car.
I would pay a visit to Condor on the Grays Inn Road, but I'm not terribly confident that you'll find what you're looking for just sitting on the shelves of any London store that I can think of.

will do thanks for the tip.
often lost.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2017, 01:49:20 pm »
I've got some Gore Windstopper gloves. I really rate them - they are not too bulky but do keep the cold out. Not waterproof in a heavy downpour but English drizzle they handle fine. They also dry very quickly. They are getting quite knackered actually - must look for some new ones!

I like Gore cycling stuff in general - just wish it was a bit cheaper :-) although you do get the quality for the price, unlike some cycling clothing I could mention (Pearl Izumi yes I mean you)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:18:44 pm »
Topic split.  Waterproof shorts conversation moved to:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=101828.0
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:48:04 pm »
I need a winproof all year round and have got one of these - my most used long sleeve top

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
I have a GORE Windstopper Gilet.

It's basically a layer of Goretex so it does a superb job of being windproof and an OK job of being water-resistant.

Nothing comes close to Castelli GABBA though (Stretch Goretex within well-fitted and snug cycle clothing.)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »
Have a Paramo smock for cycling, as well as a jacket for walking/cycling in the cold weather.

Prefer their material to Goretex, it's softer.

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/

« Reply #20 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:26:55 pm »
This thread has prompted me to buy a second Windstopper while they are still on end-of-season prices.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2017, 09:28:25 am »
Windstopper balaclava is excellent.  I was asked by a chap on a 50cc motorbike last weekend if I rated it as he'd not found a good one. I answered that it was effective at my speed range but couldn't speak for his.   As this conversation took place at the top of a hill I took the opportinity to check my words at rarely visited end of the envelope and it stood the test perfectly.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:31:14 am »
I am a fan of Gore Bikewear stuff

Windstopper items I have include

• winter gloves
  • short sleeved jersey, it's like a sort of weird gilet
  • three pairs of bib tights.  They last 3 or 4 years then I fall off and make a hole in them
  • arm warmers and leg warmers

I have previously had a gilet, would get another one but they are now expensive

The only thing I have that compares with breatheabilty and being warm in the cold are my Assos jackets

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #23 on: 19 February, 2017, 11:03:03 pm »
I've been a convert to Windstopper jackets in the last couple of years, starting with the famous Gabba (Windstopper X-Lite). I found it a little too cold in Dec-Feb so I bought an Alpha, which is made of a slightly heavier material (Windstopper 150) and also has a thin mesh insulating layer on the arms and chest. My club ordered custom Perfettos (the new name for the long-sleeve, full-zip Gabba), which came out £20 cheaper than the cheapest price I've seen for the standard ones!