Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225681 times)

fuzzy

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1025 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:23:48 pm »
No, I didn't, but my dearly beloved did.

I only went to keep her company. She found it as cringingly dissapointing as I did.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1026 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:55:21 pm »
I know there's that whole 'rediscovering youth' thing but isn't it trying just a tad too hard?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1027 on: 31 August, 2018, 07:57:01 pm »
Andras Schiff playing Bach's Well-tempered Keyboard, book 2, at the Proms on Wednesday night.

For the moment you can hear the recording here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000882

Edit: the whole thing is on BBC4 at 11pm today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1028 on: 31 August, 2018, 11:53:25 pm »
I've just seen me on telly, alongside my dear wife.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

« Reply #1030 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:49:47 pm »
A very small, one-day festival.

Highlight of the day was watching Beth McCarthy. Local lass who is a splendid live performer.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1031 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:48:27 pm »
Iron Maiden, at the O2, complete with 90% lifesize model of a Spitfire suspended over the band, Bruce sword fighting Eddie, and totally gratuitous flamethrowers.  They do know have to put on a show.

And somehow I now have tickets for Ozzy + Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, and Ruts DC all in February 2019. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1032 on: 14 September, 2018, 09:40:28 pm »
Just found out that Blanck Mass (side project of Fuck Buttons) are going to be supporting Mogwai next Saturday night in Furrybootoon  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #1033 on: 18 September, 2018, 12:11:26 pm »
An evening with brian Blessed ath the theatre in Basingstoke.

Apparently, Gordons alive! and Trump is a cunt :thumbsup:

« Reply #1034 on: 18 September, 2018, 02:23:54 pm »
Bought tickets?  Could you not hear him from home?!

fuzzy

« Reply #1035 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:13:13 am »
 ;D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1036 on: 15 October, 2018, 01:05:17 pm »
The Musical Box, at the old Hammersmith Odeon last week.  For the uninitiated, this is a French-Canadian band that recreates old (up to 1977) Genesis material.  I'd seen them before, reproducing the 1973 Genesis show in its entirety and been impressed at the quality of the performance, including the singer's impersonation of Peter Gabriel (hearing a French-Canadian speaking with a slight west country accent was slightly surreal).

This was a slightly different format in that it wasn't trying to reproduce a specific tour set but instead had three "acts".  There first was mainly instrumental and drew on material from the first two albums that he band made without Gabriel. The second was a chunk of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the third a selection of material from 1969-73, including some less well-known songs.  Some was good, some a bit patchy but overall not a bad effort. 

Irrespective of what you think of the music - and I'll admit that while I was a teenage fan, some of it has not aged well - what I took away from sitting in the third row and watching the two guitarists very closely was how skilled Steve Hackett and Mike Rutherford must have been, considering that they were both in their early 20s at the band's peak.  Same goes, of course, for the two musicians on stage, but they didn't also have to compose the music in the first place. 

They're currently touring so if you are a fan I'd recommend popping along.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1037 on: 17 October, 2018, 10:27:10 am »
Joanne Shaw Taylor at Nell's Jazz & Blues Club in West Ken.  By 'eck, she can play a bit!  And she sings like she's from Birmingham AL, not Mordor.

Nice to see Rotterdam Rob, ex-King King Hammond driver, in her band too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1038 on: 23 October, 2018, 08:16:28 am »
David Byrne at the Hydro in glasgow. What a fantastic show, the dance and music were excellent, and made it a gig unlike any I've been to before. 11 musicians on stage with DB, each of them either with their own instrument or were singing and dancing. If you go, make sure you get a good view of the stage, sadly at the Hydro the seating wasn't tiered and there was lots of very tall folks in as ever.  The big screens don't capture the big picture of the whole stage.

A very different show from the techno lights/screen spectacular which is more the norm. The atmosphere was the best I've felt in the Hydro.
Top marks, and strongly recommended.

David Byrne at the Hydro by sg310, on Flickr

(also recently, They Might be Giants, this time in Queens Hall, Edinburgh: Sadly not nearly as good as the last time I saw them, I'd rate that as OK)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1039 on: 27 October, 2018, 12:06:52 am »
This evening. A splendid concert from the English Touring Opera in Saffron Walden. Carissimi, Guaseldo and, after the interval, Purcell's "Dido". I had forgotten how much I knew of the last, having studied it in school. It's a marvellous work.

« Reply #1040 on: 27 October, 2018, 12:39:59 am »
I think that'll be Gesualdo, the guy who murdered his own name - amongst other more tangible beings!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1041 on: 27 October, 2018, 10:59:23 pm »
David Byrne at the Hydro in glasgow. What a fantastic show, the dance and music were excellent, and made it a gig unlike any I've been to before. 11 musicians on stage with DB, each of them either with their own instrument or were singing and dancing. If you go, make sure you get a good view of the stage, sadly at the Hydro the seating wasn't tiered and there was lots of very tall folks in as ever.  The big screens don't capture the big picture of the whole stage.

A very different show from the techno lights/screen spectacular which is more the norm. The atmosphere was the best I've felt in the Hydro.

As nentioned upthread we saw this in June and were impressed :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1042 on: 27 October, 2018, 11:03:39 pm »
I think that'll be Gesualdo, the guy who murdered his own name - amongst other more tangible beings!

I think you are right. I don't know now whether that was fatigue, clumsiness or pure ignorance. Could well have been all three.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1043 on: 27 October, 2018, 11:10:47 pm »

As nentioned upthread we saw this in June and were impressed :)

I commend it to (burning down) the house  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1044 on: 28 October, 2018, 01:21:20 pm »

I think you are right. I don't know now whether that was fatigue, clumsiness or pure ignorance. Could well have been all three.

Sorry, just a chance for a joke!  Sounds like a great concert, worth it for "When I am dead...." alone.

« Reply #1045 on: 28 October, 2018, 11:13:35 pm »
"Die Walkure" by some chap called Wagner.  A live broadcast from the Royal Opera House.   

First time I've seen it performed as opposed to just listening to the music.  I'm no expert & was wondering if the 4 + hours would sustain my interest, but I was quite engrossed.   Some splendid Valkyries as well, I was half expecting to see Charlotte on stage, but was sadly disappointed.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/reviews/die-walkre-royal-opera-house_47688.html

https://bachtrack.com/review-walkure-pappano-skelton-anger-lundgren-stemme-royal-opera-september-2018
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1046 on: 19 November, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »
Punch Brothers at the Barbican last Friday. Just wow. All of the members are great on their instruments but bring them together and they are amazing. That and I got to see Noam, boy can he pick a Banjo.

« Reply #1047 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:48:23 pm »
The Paraorchestra doing Trans Europe Express and some Ligeti and Messian.  A nice programme, not just an orchestral greatest hits.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

fuzzy

« Reply #1048 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:53:18 pm »
This time tomorrow, the lst gig I went to will be Christine And The Queens at 'Ammersmith Apollo :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #1049 on: 22 November, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »
This time tomorrow, the lst gig I went to will be Christine And The Queens at 'Ammersmith Apollo :thumbsup:
And it was great.

Héloïse Letissier has an absolutely gorgeous voice and, working with her band and 6 dancers, she made me a very happy person.

Seeing her perform Tilted on the TV after an interview at Glastonbury in 2016 was my introduction to Christine And The Queens and the haunting music, her voice and her choreography had me hooked from the word go, even though I am a typical Brit and have very little (no) understanding of her native tongue. That didn't matter then and it didn't matter last night.

I don't do music in the way a lot of people do- needing to listen to it all the time etc. I am a suck it and see type of audience. I can go weeks without actually listening to a piece (when I say listen I mean actually LISTEN as opposed to registering that there is some melodic noise coming from somewhere). When I do LISTEN, I get occasional signs that I like something- hairs on the back of my neck stand up, shivers down my spine at a particular segment or vocal sequence. Sometimes, and this is the most telling response for me, I get tearful because of the pleasure I get from listening to something.
Last night, that happened a few times. Tilted live was  given but, she did an acapella version of Nuit 17 a 52 which was beautiful and had me welling up with joy.

A fantastic night :thumbsup: