Author Topic: Finishing an audax on a different bike  (Read 16193 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Finishing an audax on a different bike
« Reply #50 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:47:49 pm »
I rode the Only for Softies finishing today. I'm afraid I wrecked my first choice bike after only 5mls, took a couple of hours walking to collect the car driving home, picking up another bike and managing to finish the event without going out of time at any point. If I have to forego my points C'est la vie! I'll just have to ride another.
Well done bodach. Maybe you should get extra points, for being such a nutter.  :demon:

Was that really only 7 years ago?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #51 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:51:52 pm »
Holy Thread Revival!

But they are both fixed gears. I don't really understand what the issue is - it's a "Fixed Wheel" challenge, not "Single Speed" or "Fixed Gear" challenge.
In the narrative I read from the FWC Administrator I think I read that he considers the choice of gear for the route as part of the challenge. Just don't claim the FWC points and you'll have nothing on you conscience.

And somewhat holey quoting... this comes from Phixie's comments regarding the SA-S3X which was the flavour of the month for a while (I blame Rogerzilla...).  Phixie also noted that whilst he preferred riders used a single gear he accepted that in the real world wheels might be flipped. A gear change based on a trigger system however is a cat of a very different stripe.

« Reply #52 on: 30 December, 2017, 07:24:33 am »
Quite some years ago, in '99, a fixie rider appeared at the Willesden Battle Van in Loudéac. He had broken a drop out and was driven to the control by the organisers. There was a bike, belonging to Yvonne, in the battle van which had the right size. So he borrowed it and was brought back to the original point by the organisers. When he passed Loudéac again we tweaked the bike a bit and he finished on it. Later on I heard that the control staff checked with Paris and this bike swap was officially accepted.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #53 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:46:02 pm »
Hoppo switched bikes as he passed home (near Middleton Tyas) in both directions on this year's LEL. He used a Time trial bike for the flatter southern section, and a road bike for the hillier Northern section
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #54 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:41:34 am »
It's possibly not in the spirit of the FWC...
Therapeutic exemption without the drugs?