Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134208 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13575 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:43:49 pm »
Cleaned the fixed and the Omega.  Replacing the cable outer to the rear mech cured the lazy gear-change on the latter.
But which do I take to the Rigby ride on Saturday?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13576 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:46:18 pm »
This morning's one was in a new tyre! It has a hole in it now though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13577 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:44:11 pm »
Prepped the roadbike for the weekend's audax and pulled all the kit together ready to throw in the back of the car.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13578 on: 07 February, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »
Put new tyre + tube + old cassette onto nice new DT Swiss wheel & stuck them on the bike.

DT Swiss are bonkers: the skewer they supplied doesn't have a QR but a ratcheting lever, the idea being that you tighten it all the way up by hand to 15 Nm (emphasized by telling you twice), disengage the ratchet & rotate it to its final position, then check that the wheel is firmly ensconced by picking the bike up and whacking the tyre downwards and to Hell with your Raceblades. NFW: the old Bontrager skewer works perfectly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13579 on: 07 February, 2019, 04:02:08 pm »
Proof of concept really. Took the front wheel off the tandem, moved the already accumulated tqt, folded the rear seats down, shuffled the front seat forward and lo! Thee Tandem she fits in the New! Shiny! car.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #13580 on: 07 February, 2019, 04:13:51 pm »
DT Swiss are bonkers: the skewer they supplied doesn't have a QR but a ratcheting lever, the idea being that you tighten it all the way up by hand to 15 Nm (emphasized by telling you twice), disengage the ratchet & rotate it to its final position, then check that the wheel is firmly ensconced by picking the bike up and whacking the tyre downwards and to Hell with your Raceblades.

Sounds like how you do up a thru-axle.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13581 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:51:37 pm »
decided to replace the flat pedals on my hack bike as the ones on there have been used for five years and developed some play in the bearings and i have no tools to adjust them. the new pedals had studs that were too long so i've trimmed them all with the mini grinder (all good except one cut-off bit landed on my fleece and burned a hole through it). also secured the reflectors with glue, they'll stay attached permanently.

« Reply #13582 on: 07 February, 2019, 10:31:26 pm »
Took the cranks and BB off my Giant - I've been meaning to do it for yonks, as I never got on with the 172.5 mm cranks. Gave it all a clean, and fitted the handy 170 mm chainset I had - it's now sporting a 52-30 chainset, which actually works OK (the front mech needs a bit of minor adjustment). I'll probably get some new chainrings for a more sensible combo, but blatting around town on the 52 chainring is a good laugh.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13583 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:23:30 am »
DT Swiss are bonkers: the skewer they supplied doesn't have a QR but a ratcheting lever, the idea being that you tighten it all the way up by hand to 15 Nm (emphasized by telling you twice), disengage the ratchet & rotate it to its final position, then check that the wheel is firmly ensconced by picking the bike up and whacking the tyre downwards and to Hell with your Raceblades.

Aha. Any reason I shouldn't use a skewer?

ETA: the provided skewer is described as 'quick release'.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-23-road-rear-wheel-28700c-2667618

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13584 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:41:43 am »
Fettling by proxy. My sister who art in Australia bought a fairly BSO for her daughter. The brakes were shite, so via the medium of interpretive dance WhatsApp video calling I showed her how to fix the rear cable so it was in its cable stop, adjust tension and hopefully stop it squealing like a banshee. She is a witchhas perfect pitch and apparently it was squealing in A flat.  Then I sent her a link to the Park Tools website about v brake block alignment.  The final step was to say "take it for a careful trial run before it gets used in anger". She took it for a trial run, hit a curb and banjaxed her shoulder tendons. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #13585 on: 08 February, 2019, 10:26:11 am »

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-23-road-rear-wheel-28700c-2667618

It's a QR ok, https://www.dtswiss.com/en/technology/components/rws-technology/ so yes you can use any QR skewer, it's the ability to reposition the lever once closed that's similar to the thru-axle axles.  :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13586 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »
I dug out a 135mm (that's for 126mm spacing) Campag axle that I've had in the spares box for a while.  I might convert a Campag track hub into q/r for road use.  It's a totally reversible modification anyway.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13587 on: 09 February, 2019, 08:15:51 am »

It's a QR ok, https://www.dtswiss.com/en/technology/components/rws-technology/ so yes you can use any QR skewer, it's the ability to reposition the lever once closed that's similar to the thru-axle axles.  :)

Yeah, I had another gander at the specs and figured that out. Takes the Q out of QR, though - berks.  I'll pass it on to someone I don't like.

« Reply #13588 on: 09 February, 2019, 04:17:03 pm »
Tried and failed, as noted elsewhere, to set up a Sonos speaker in the man cave shed. Found out they don’t play nicely with power line WiFi adaptors - the man cave shed is 100ft away at the bottom of the garden. Hmm.  Will try setting it up indoors and see if it’ll play over the power line Ethernet. Failing that, a Sonos Boost on the back bedroom windowsill might just make it.....  I really don’t want to try and run an Ethernet cable all the way down there.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13589 on: 09 February, 2019, 07:54:47 pm »
got a mat for a trainer but it was a tad narrow, so added a pair of "wings" trimmed to shape and also some additional padding right under the feet. less noise/vibration.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13590 on: 10 February, 2019, 06:49:06 am »
The ballista is ready for testing.

Reinstating the Giant on the old tacx turbo trainer, changing nothing, pumping the tyre to exactly 8 bar and finding yet another completely random calibration result, I'm now seriously contemplating a stag zero. I was going to wait until I had some idea of accident payout, but what the hell.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

« Reply #13591 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:37:26 am »
Did a bit of measuring to solve the 2mm-off chainline problem on the track bike.  Turns out the frame is as straight as a die.  The front chainline measures independently at 44.3mm and the rear at 46mm.  It all used to line up on the Fuji frame so that must have been bent (2mm is nothing to most builders, but matters on fixed).

Anyway, a spacer under the RH BB cup is all it needs. I have a 2mm VeloSolo one in the spares box.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13592 on: 10 February, 2019, 05:13:10 pm »
Gave my coffee machine its 'weekly' clean-out. Messy.

Also blasted the dust out of my office PC with compressed air. Also messy.

« Reply #13593 on: 10 February, 2019, 05:19:34 pm »
Tidied up the shed a bit, clearing the workbench and clearing the floor area somewhat. Put the Genesis up in the work stand and listed out the jobs to do. Once that’s done I’ll get back on to the Domane build that stalled when I went back to work in September  :o

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #13594 on: 10 February, 2019, 05:28:59 pm »
Took the eyes off a spider to photo the top and bottom of its body, I'd better sew them back on before I lose them and/or it's creator discovers what I have done.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13595 on: 10 February, 2019, 06:12:56 pm »
Set the track bike up for velodrome use, which involved taking everything apart except the seatpin  :D

Now has sprint rims and tubs, 52 x 17 gearing, chainline straight, track fork with fagpaper clearance and different stem and bars.

It weighs 16 1/4 lb without pedals.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13596 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:19:14 pm »
Molished the electronics for another flicker-free dimmable LED driver for the dining room (having done all the really unpleasant drilling square holes in aluminium panels stuff last week).  This included 3 hours of troubleshooting to find a microscopic stray solder blob.  I think my eyes are middle-aged.

Retrofitting halogen uplighter with LEDs is on hold until the polyfilla I've repaired the broken concrete base with has set.

« Reply #13597 on: 11 February, 2019, 08:39:48 pm »
The "shed” Sonos.  Set it up on the house WiFi in the kitchen, then took it down to the shed, some 30m away, and hooked it up to the power line adaptor via Ethernet, and surprise surprise it actually seems to work. Time will tell if it’s a good connection.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13598 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:29:04 am »
Just saved 350€ by actually finding and reading the instructions for the vacuum cleaner that "doesn't work any more" (subtext "Jane's got a Miele...").

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13599 on: 12 February, 2019, 05:48:18 pm »
Instructions? For a vacuum cleaner???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.