Author Topic: Garmin eTrex E20 screen scrtached  (Read 2340 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Garmin eTrex E20 screen scrtached
« on: 10 April, 2017, 12:33:48 pm »
My E20 have some scratches and scuffs on the clear plastic screen cover.  Basically it was in a pannier and repeatedly rubbed against something.  Any idea how I can polish the scuffs out or even replace the screen cover?  The LCD display underneath the clear plastic cover is fine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Garmin eTrex E20 screen scrtached
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:35:43 pm »
The best solution is to go back in time to when you bought it and apply a screen protector.  It's a non-touchscreen device that gets rough treatment, so they're a no-brainer.

I expect the outer plastic can only be replaced by replacing (part of) the case.  Garmin can probably do that, but £££

Polishing scratches out of plastic is witchcraft...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:43:52 pm »
My E20 have some scratches and scuffs on the clear plastic screen cover.  Basically it was in a pannier and repeatedly rubbed against something.  Any idea how I can polish the scuffs out or even replace the screen cover?  The LCD display underneath the clear plastic cover is fine.

Google using toothpaste as a way to polish the plastic screen.  It depends on how deep the scratches are of course, but worth a go.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:44:27 pm »

Google using toothpaste as a way to polish the plastic screen.  It depends on how deep the scratches are of course, but worth a go.

Any particular brand?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:46:20 pm »
None gel, proper paste  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2017, 01:48:12 pm »
None gel, proper paste  :thumbsup:

I shall give it a try.

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:19:22 pm »
Beware of using a dremel or similar to take the work out of it.
If the rpm is too high, what is being polished may start to melt.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:22:12 pm »
Beware of using a dremel or similar to take the work out of it.
If the rpm is too high, what is being polished may start to melt.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »
As an alternative to your toothpaste metal polish - Brasso or similar will do the same job   So give it a go when you polish the buttons on your blazer.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2017, 03:35:42 pm »
As an alternative to your toothpaste metal polish - Brasso or similar will do the same job   So give it a go when you polish the buttons on your blazer.

I now only wear my ACME merino wool cycling jersey!

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2017, 04:01:31 pm »

This certainly worked on the plastic screens of old iPods, but never use the wadding – it's too abrasive. Just moisten a soft cloth with whatever Brasso is soaked in and use that. And don't panic about fogging the screen – it will all buff out clear eventually. Though I'd test it before piling in, just in case the plastic isn't compatible...