Author Topic: Garmin 1000 Edge Navigation Problem - any ideas?  (Read 2357 times)

Garmin 1000 Edge Navigation Problem - any ideas?
« on: 27 April, 2017, 03:15:32 pm »
Hi folks,

Does anyone know how to avoid the following problem which I have experienced on a number of occasions?

A circular routes seems to confuse the GPS. (By 'circular' I mean any route that eventually returns to its starting point, contrasting this with a 'linear' route would be one that goes from point A to point B.)

So, stopping for lunch, I stop the activity and power the Garmin down. After lunch, I power up and begin and the garmin now says 'off course' and the 'distance to destination' is as though I have to return to the start.

If this is simply a sociable ride I've planned in advance then I avoid this situation by plotting 2 routes - effectively, 'out' and then 'back'. If I happen to stop along the way, no problem - because it is a linear route, the garmin never gets confused.

The problem is when I'm taking part in an event. I generally don't know if I will stop and if so, at which feed station I will stop and so the problem happens.

I have the following settings on the garmin: https://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-1000

How do others avoid this issue?  ???
Anything I haven't thought of or am doing wrong?
Many thanks for any help given.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Garmin 1000 Edge Navigation Problem - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2017, 03:27:53 pm »
eTrex user here, but I think this is a problem common to all routing-capable Garmin devices.  I just split cyclic routes so it doesn't get confused.  On an audax ride I'll design the routes so the changeover will be at a control, so no big deal.  I've never taken part in an 'event' with a circular route that  a) required GPS navigation  and  b) didn't include some sort of stop.  I obviously haven't lived.   :-\

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2017, 03:31:45 pm »
RWGPS, use TCX files and;
On Edge:
turn guidance off,
off course warnings on
recalculation = prompted
Never select the "navigate to start option"!

Regards,

Joergen

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:22:11 pm »
A circular routes seems to confuse the GPS.

Look up the dictionary definition of the word 'route'.  It's a way of getting from one place to another.  95% of the time, this is not what cyclists want, they just want to ride in circles.  Admittedly since the 1000 is a cycle-specific model it really should undertand this.  But all Garmins will try to route you to the nearest future route point - which works fine as long as you're travelling from A to B, but if you're travelling from A to A and you're halfway out, the nearest future point may well be one that is halfway back.
So anyway, a simple solution is to have 2 routes, one TO your lunch stop and one BACK.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

dim

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »
link to the Garmin Connect website and load the latest software (version 12.20)

switch  the recalculation to off

and read this blog as regards other settings:

http://www.forgot.co.uk/garmin-edge-navigation/garmin-edge-1000/

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2017, 11:06:56 am »
Many thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply.

Kim / Frankly Frankie  - On an event I like to see the distance to destination whilst riding rather than trying to remember or stopping to look at a map. It's also an issue if I am leading a group ride and have to make an unplanned stop due to one of the group needing it or if I don't have the time to replot an existing circular route that someone has sent me. Otherwise an out and back route works really well.

Jason - spot on with advice received from Ride with GPS. I have (until now), always used GPX tracks which my club recommended...

Dim - Latest firmware is installed. I've read the Iforgot guidance and it all agrees with Ride with GPS except for avoidance setup where Iforgot looks like leaving these enabled and Ride with GPS says to disable all when following a planned route.

Thanks so much all for your advice.