Author Topic: Fords  (Read 97052 times)

Re: Fords
« Reply #125 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »
...I always use the cycle path that runs through the nature reserve and then parallel to the road but on the other side of the hedge - it has various patches mended with a sort of chicken wire and marked "Flood damage! Take care!"
I generally use the cycle path too, but it was under even deeper water at the time. Besides which,if you are on the road the hedge will catch you before you go in the river.

The chicken wire is an improvement over just the coarse mesh that's underneath it, which has been there since the path was constructed.
Originally, it was the other way up, with crosswise strands on top and longways strands underneath. However the decking started to subside and put quite a cross slope on the Maisemore end of the longer section, and the crossways strands gave very little lateral grip if it was wet. Someone apparently came a cropper trying to ride over and fell into the concrete road edge, so the mesh was turned over. However with the longways strands on top you get quite bad tramlining, so it was even worse in my opinion (even before I got overconfident on the way back from the pub one night, fell off, and bent my elbow over backwards).

« Reply #126 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:42:05 pm »
I present this one without comment...

Did you shout "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" as you rolled through  ;D

I can't remember, but I did feel compelled to offer the woman with the pushchair something of an explanation afterwards  ;D

...The police van just got a bit of an embarrassed smile...

« Reply #127 on: 17 April, 2014, 01:39:12 am »

That's ace! Where is that ford?

Here's someone adopting the same pose, at Hilton in Cambridgeshire:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #128 on: 17 April, 2014, 12:50:51 pm »

That's ace! Where is that ford?

Longbridge, Birmingham.  As featured on the Tunnel Ride.  It's a surprisingly urban location for a ford.

http://goo.gl/maps/eFGv6

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #129 on: 17 April, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »
I wonder how common fords are in urban areas? I know of one in the Blaise Castle/Shirehampton area of Bristol, but I've never actually seen any water in it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #130 on: 17 April, 2014, 03:58:06 pm »
I wonder how common fords are in urban areas?

wetroads.co.uk is the place to look — they have the ford on the River Rea at Longbridge on their West Midlands page (with the comment "Where would you least expect to find a ford? Next to the giant Rover plant in Longbridge, Birmingham"), and they know about several fords in Greater London.

« Reply #131 on: 17 April, 2014, 08:52:31 pm »
"Next to the giant Rover plant in Longbridge, Birmingham"

It's loads closer to the Kalamazoo/Reynolds factory, but for some reason most people have a blind spot for that and only ever see the Austin/Rover.

It's a location on a guided tour I'm putting together, with reference to when there used to be a corn mill there and all this used to be fields...

« Reply #132 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:37:34 pm »
local one to me  :)

« Reply #133 on: 19 April, 2014, 08:36:13 pm »
It's loads closer to the Kalamazoo/Reynolds factory, but for some reason most people have a blind spot for that and only ever see the Austin/Rover.

We used to ride through the Kalamazoo ford as kids, again and again and again, trying to spin our back wheels on the slippy concrete - I don't recall anybody ever coming off. Great bit of wast ground alongside the river from the ford down towards the train station where we used to engage in BMX style antics on our racers / choppers etc.

Ruth

« Reply #134 on: 31 May, 2014, 07:48:58 pm »
local one to me  :)

Loafer! by ruthturner3, on Flickr

Now with added Loafer!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #135 on: 01 June, 2014, 07:27:05 pm »
Near Black Sail Hut YH at the top of Ennerdale
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #136 on: 20 July, 2014, 11:20:47 pm »
Ford on the River Granta at Hildersham in Cambridgeshire:

And one on Pods Brook near Shalford Green in Essex:

« Reply #137 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:54:49 pm »
Ford on the River Stort at Langley Lower Green in Essex:

« Reply #138 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »
Ford on the River Stort at Clavering in Essex:

« Reply #139 on: 26 April, 2015, 09:31:51 pm »
Ford on Alconbury Brook at Alconbury Weston in Cambridgeshire:

« Reply #140 on: 23 June, 2015, 10:03:07 pm »
Stanhope Ford, over the Wear:

Faster and deeper than it looks. I took the stepping stones*, and had second, third and fourth thoughts during the portage.

*It's at least 300 yards shorter than the loop out to the bridge.

« Reply #141 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:52:36 pm »
Tomsleibhe bothy

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #142 on: 03 August, 2015, 03:26:13 pm »
Tomsleibhe bothy ...

... on Mull, with Beinn Talaidh in the distance. The ford is on the Allt na Laith-dhorie. Amazing clouds!

« Reply #143 on: 13 August, 2015, 01:13:17 pm »
just found this one ...forgot all about it  :thumbsup: 

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #144 on: 18 August, 2015, 02:02:05 am »
Where's that Larry?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #145 on: 18 August, 2015, 12:14:32 pm »
Where's that Larry?

its not that far from you Ruth  ;)  between WHESSOE ROAD and COATHAM LANE much better than the 167 cyclepath  ;D

https://www.strava.com/activities/321996431  :thumbsup:

« Reply #146 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:36:08 am »
Days when it's chucking it down with rain are good for riding through fords, because you can't get any wetter if you fall in! Here are a couple of old favourites on a rainy club ride. Left: the River Ash at Much Hadham in Hertfordshire. Right: the River Rib at Barwick in Hertfordshire.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #147 on: 18 October, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »

On Colley Bridge Lane, between Radley Green and Cooksmill Green, SW of Chelmo, Essex. A fairly decent gravel byway, which crosses Ewson's Brook, a tributary of the River Can. The ford is rideable, unlike this one on the Can near Good Easter...

The warning sign:

Deep, muddy, never seen anything go through it.

« Reply #148 on: 12 March, 2016, 10:42:49 pm »
Probably the nastiest ford I've ever ridden through. It wasn't today, I took the bridge, after taking this photo:

rr

« Reply #149 on: 13 March, 2016, 01:01:24 am »
Buttbury Wash

or on youtube