Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 153329 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #75 on: 07 August, 2016, 11:02:45 pm »
I popped up to my Parent house in Lincoln via a 200k mandatory route DIY.  I decided when I got there to ride the 'top 100 cilmbs #28' aka the cobbled climb up Michaelgate & to the castle. 

It was after 10pm on a hot evening so the place was full of drunk people - sometimes as an Audaxer I find that a bit intimerdating, but I plowed on with the mandatory route.  I crawled up it the narrow, steep cobbles, without much fitness, carrying luggage, some dynamo-drag & 220k in the legs - thankfully the masses of drunkards took to shouting encouragement all the way up, people even walking next to me saying 'go on, you can do it' etc :)

At the top there were loads (100+) people outside the pubs etc & I got a spontaneous round of applause for making it :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/668222316

« Reply #76 on: 07 August, 2016, 11:06:16 pm »
@ Dean, that's really good and (to me) inspiring.  You are taking some fabulous pictures, too.  I have actually done a couple of two hundreds "off-road" - the route 66 canal one which I mentioned at the National and one using the PeakTrails, which I did last year as soon as I was back on my bike, or pretty soon, anyway.  The canals one took a lot longer than yours, for obvious (and not so obvious) reasons but I brought it in BRM - just!  I'm writing it up and will stick it on here and hopefully Arrivee.  I didn't bother entering the rides as DIYs - just wanted to see if I could get the routes to work.

You talk of an admin nightmare.  Anything in particular?  Was it just getting the route to go where you wanted, or the entry itself?  I'm hoping to do both of mine again before the light goes.

Thanks again

Peter

Bobby, that's a good one, too!

« Reply #77 on: 08 August, 2016, 12:39:25 pm »
Cheers, Pete - the admin was mostly user error, I reckon. I tend not to enter DIYs until the last minute, and I didn't give myself enough time to really get to grips with the requirements. I emailed Andy C in the end, so we'll see.

Creating a usable track was a bit of a pain - I was using BikeHike, which is pretty good, but the auto-routing is on-road. With lots of offroady bits, I had to fill it in manually, which was a bit tedious. And inaccurate in a couple of places, as I was trying to cross canals where there were no bridges.

Then my track was too large for the entry form - no problem, I could just zip it. It wouldn't accept my zipped file, and I spent a fruitless half hour trying to find Phil W's thingummy for compressing GPX files (Dale mentioned this last week, but he couldn't remember where he'd seen it - it's buried away in the GPS ghetto: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=97952.0). Gave it up, emailed Andy C and went to bed.

Next time, I'll try to do all the prep beforehand, but still enter at the last minute!

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #78 on: 08 August, 2016, 12:44:38 pm »
Great stuff Dean, lovin the pics.  But when did Newport Bridge turn red?

« Reply #79 on: 08 August, 2016, 12:50:14 pm »
It was a couple of years ago, to mark its 80th anniversary. It had been getting tatty for a while. Nowt to do with Middlesbrough FC AFAIK.

« Reply #80 on: 08 August, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »

We went out on Saturday to routecheck The Penshaw Punisher route. Rode it as a DIY by GPS. I'm rather glad I don't have to ride it again now, it's rather lumpy...  ;D

Cheers, Pete - the admin was mostly user error, I reckon. I tend not to enter DIYs until the last minute, and I didn't give myself enough time to really get to grips with the requirements. I emailed Andy C in the end, so we'll see.

Creating a usable track was a bit of a pain - I was using BikeHike, which is pretty good, but the auto-routing is on-road. With lots of offroady bits, I had to fill it in manually, which was a bit tedious. And inaccurate in a couple of places, as I was trying to cross canals where there were no bridges.

Then my track was too large for the entry form - no problem, I could just zip it. It wouldn't accept my zipped file, and I spent a fruitless half hour trying to find Phil W's thingummy for compressing GPX files (Dale mentioned this last week, but he couldn't remember where he'd seen it - it's buried away in the GPS ghetto: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=97952.0). Gave it up, emailed Andy C and went to bed.

Next time, I'll try to do all the prep beforehand, but still enter at the last minute!

I like RideWithGPS to create the .gpx files - you can choose driving/cycling/walking options which does the job 99% of the time when doing these kinds of tracks and trails routes and then for the odd time it doesn't work, you can just draw it in.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #81 on: 08 August, 2016, 02:22:19 pm »
Having completed 100,000km on a Cheltenham Flyer Perm (Cotswolds version) I learned that the original (the one I rode as a Calendar in 1992) used Clee Hill in Shropshire and was first organised by Sean Graff (of Cotswold Corker fame) in 1988. So, to complete my 1000 points celebration, I rode my Flyer Perm 200 over Clee Hill last Friday (also my 1st RRTY August ride). I was lucky with perfect weather for views from Clee Hill. the 1000 points was certainly an incentive; now I just have to work on RRTY and staying out of trouble for LEL17.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #82 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
It was a couple of years ago, to mark its 80th anniversary. It had been getting tatty for a while. Nowt to do with Middlesbrough FC AFAIK.

They had planned to paint it silver for it's 80th anniversary but it took so long it was the 81st anniversary because Stockton hadn't maintained it and it needed a great deal of remedial work.
The Transporter is getting much better at being open. Except Sundays, obv. For commuters they are even continuous running rather than at 15 minute intervals. It's almost become a reliable crossing.  :o

Your route is a reverse of one I did a couple of years ago, from me Mam's down the coast, pretty much. Except I did all the shitty road bits.  ;D

« Reply #83 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:50:22 pm »
I'll finish off this bridgy interlude with an action shot! of Newport Vertical Lift Bridge, back when it lived up to its name: https://flic.kr/p/29K1oz

I was there the last time the lift was used (I'm sure I've mentioned that before).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #84 on: 20 August, 2016, 12:20:04 pm »
Over the last 2 days, I rode the old Scottish classic route, the Twilight 600.
This is my longest ever solo ride.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/10610083

This route deserves a bit more description than a one-liner, so here goes...

This classic Scottish route goes diagonally across Scotland, from Edinburgh in the South East, to Ardgour in the North West, taking in much of the varied scenery and terrain that Scotland has to offer.

From a 5am start, we head North across the Forth Road Bridge, with views of the Forth Bridge and the near-finished new Forth Crossing.
After negotiatating major road-works at the North of the bridge, we pass through some of the less scenic parts of Fife, before bearing westwards towards the more gentrified pastures of Perthshire.
There's a great ride up Glen Devon, and a massive descent down towards Gleneagles.
Control at Crieff, where the cafes are not yet open, so it's a bacon roll from the bakery.

From Crieff, a classic ride through the Sma' Glen, and on to Aberfeldy.
Down past Loch Tay, to Killin for snacks and drinks.   This had been a possible lunch stop, but I was way too early for lunch, so I press on to Crianlarich.
Joining the A85 at Lix Toll, this is where the bad traffic begins.

The traffic and standard of driving is nothing short of horrific.
Busses and HGVs will make no effort to pass you, and will fly past at 70 an inch away from your handlebars.
This requires pretty aggressive road positioning, and glowering over your shoulder to force them to slow down and pass more carefully.
Cars were mostly well behaved, but I did notice that most of the ones that did dangerous overtakes had NL plates, which surprised me.
Perhaps with so much segregated cycling in NL, the drivers don't know how to deal with cyclists on main roads?
Camper vans ( probably hired ) all pulled in too soon, probably because their drivers are not used to such long vehicles.

Anyways, Lunch at Crianlarich, on to Tyndrum and the climb up to Rannoch Moor.
You know you are on the West Coast when you see Buachaille Etive Mor glowering across Rannoch Moor.
This is the gateway to Glencoe, and a hooning great descent town the glen.
Across the Ballachulish Bridge, at arrive at the Corran Bunkhouse before 4pm.

Get checked in, and dump some stuff off the bike and we head out for the evening loop of 130k round Ardgour.
The bunkhouse is on the ferry slipway, and as I set off I notice the navigational instruction on my Garmin says 'Board Ferry'.
This seemed like good advice, so I did.

Corran Ferry by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

The loop round Argour is quite rugged, and not particularly fast.
I set off around 4:30, but the road along Loch Sunart is constantly undulating, so you feel like you are climbing all the time.
Through Strontian ( the element Strontium is named after it ), and on to Salen where I stop for dinner at the Salen Hotel.
The road North to Lochailort goes over a couple of fairly long draggy climbs, and I get to the Lochailort inn at about 9.
The guests are just finishing their dinner, and I am served some drinks and crisps by some cheery East Europeans.
As I go to depart, one of the diners offers me some advice.  I'll need some lights, apparently.
Grateful for their words of wisdom, I turn my lights on and head East towards Fort William in the Twilight.
This is a flat section, and fairly fast. I pass Glenfinnan, where the monument was floodlight.

At Corpach, a couple of miles from Fort William, I come across stationary traffic.   There is nothing coming the other way, so I pass it.
The gridlock goes all the way to Fort William, and I come to the Police road block.
Pedestrians are directed down a steep bank into a field, where I can re-join the road after a couple of hundred metres.
The tailback stretches for a couple of miles the other side of Fort William too.
This meant I had no traffic coming my way all the way back to the Corran Bunkhouse.

So to bed at 11, and up at 6 for a 7am start on day 2.
Drinking my coffee, I read the news and it turns out the incident in Fort William the previous evening was a cyclist fatality involving an HGV.

With this sobering news fresh in mind, and bearing in mind the traffic I endured the previous day, I decided to use the cycle path NCN 78 from Ballachulish to Oban.
I've used this before, some years ago on the Port Navigation 200, and remember it as being of good quality.
And indeed it was; I followed it all the way.

This was all well and good until you come to the Connel Bridge. The NCN78 points off to the left, saying Oban 6.
That's a bit longer than the main road, but what the heck.  I had time in hand before the Oban control.  DO NOT DO THIS!
The route takes a big loop away from Oban, along a bastard hilly single track road. Unless you are looking for a few over-distance Km, and a bunch of gratuitous climbing, take the main road.
And that was the Good News.
The bad news is that NCN78 to Oban DOES NOT GO TO OBAN!
It's an Oban Bypass, dropping you out on the Taynuilt road 2.5 mile beyond Oban, on the wrong side of a Bastard Hill.
Since Oban was a control, I had to climb over said Bastard Hill to get to Oban.
And then for extra fun, a Hill Rep back over said Bastard Hill in the other direction, because my next destination was Taynuilt!

Lovely road to Taynuilt, though.
Then up a seemingly endless climb to Tyndrum and back to Crianlarich, with only 100k or so to go.
It started to rain on the climb, and the waterproofs went on and remained on for the remainder of the day.
Back along the Dangerous A85 as far as Lix Toll, where I turn south up another endless climb and to Lochearnhead then Callander.
The weather was a bit grim, so I was just head down and pushing on by now.

The final stretch took me through Stirling, but I think my route could have been better planned through the city; I was on cycle-hostile main roads and multi-lane roundabouts in heavy fast traffic.
Then through Grangemouth, which is dominated by the massive Ineos refinery and petrochemical plant.
The whole place has an unwholesome stink about it.  Who knows what volatile aromatic compounes are in the air.  I do wonder how anyone can ever sell a house there.
This might be the only place where a Daily Mail headline might actually be true: Ineos gave my house price cancer.

The final part of my route could do with a bit of refining itself.
Through Bo'ness, and up a Bastard Steep road out the other side, followed by some nice lanes which took me directly back to South Queensferry for a 8pm finish.

I checked in at the Dakota hotel, had a shower and got changed in time for a decent dinner in the hotel, and so to bed.

Another SR in the can ( STV etc etc ).

« Reply #85 on: 21 August, 2016, 06:33:15 am »
Yesterday I attempted to run north before the storm, which was going well until Tebay where it broke on me with a vengeance at which point it all became a bit biblical. Enoyed it though, I've wanted to ride the road that splits the M6 up there for years and the sight of looking up to see what appeared to be a canoe flying south in the downpour was a little surreal.

Mind you Cumbria County Council putting notice of this on their website, or even some indication at the junction 3km at the top of the massive descent before might have been useful:

Having an advance train ticket adds a new frission to the whole thing

https://www.strava.com/activities/683050034/overview

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #86 on: 22 August, 2016, 11:28:10 am »
We came across one of these closed roads stages on a recent 400 in the borders. Fortunately the fence/gates were not locked and we were able to walk through closing the gate behind us.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #87 on: 22 August, 2016, 09:30:56 pm »
I took my sisters around the route of my Peculier Old 200 yesterday - it was also an opportunity to refine a couple of bits of the route and check out some of the more remote controls. Mainly Masham, but the White Bear is an incredibly accommodating place, and they were intensely relaxed about the prospect of 50 or so* sweaty cyclists invading the place. The food there is excellent, not overpriced, and pretty swift. There is a Co-Op just up the road, should anyone want to keep to the Way of the Garage Forecourt.

It was a good day out, mostly sunny and a steady sort of ride. The absolute highlight, though, was the clown of a cyclist who wandered upstairs to find us at the cafe at Middleton-in-Teesdale and announced that he was lost. My sister nominated me to help him - he was trying to ride to the Kirkside Pass, and wanted to know how far it was. When I managed to work out that he meant the Kirkstone Pass and I guessed the distance at 70 miles, he started to argue. I had to bite my tongue. After giving up on working out where he'd come from or where he was actually going and trying to convince him that he might need some sort of clue, I just pointed him towards Alston, and said he should find his way from there. He's probably still trying to find it. Wherever it is.

https://www.strava.com/activities/684294747

*total guess, but entries are coming in steadily.

« Reply #88 on: 23 August, 2016, 11:38:23 am »
Avoided the crappy weather forecast for last Saturday for a much better day on Sunday to do the Ditchling Devil 200 PERM.

Totally different doing it on your own. For some reason I managed to do it on 3 gels, a chocolate chip cliff bar, 4 bottles of water, 2 bananas and a packet of McCoys!! Really not to be recommended thou :D

I liked the route but I spent most of the time checking I was on the right roads and going through the correct control points so not as nice as doing a proper calendar event.

https://www.strava.com/activities/683893420

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #89 on: 23 August, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »
Not quite sure why I thought it was a good idea to tackle my first solo DIY 200km on the hottest* day of the year in the South East. I did choose the route with the lowest amount of climbing (because I am so not a grimpeuse) from our repertoire done on the tandem - this meant it was East London, Rayne (near Braintree), West Mersea (I did check the tide times first!), Rainham, and home to East London.
I did it but was taking increasingly long and frequent breaks as the day wore on - I would like to think because of the heat not because I was tired. There must have been about 30 minutes of non-moving time just applying sunscreen as I kept feeling I was burning. On the plus side I did remember to put it on my feet - as a sandal wearer I have been caught out by this in the past and it is quite painful.
The worst part of the day was the ride from Billericay back to Rainham - the awfulness of the driving was breathtaking and my nerves were completely shredded at the end of it. So many close overtakes (with/without vehicles coming the other way), being undertaken at a roundabout etc. This was far worse than our previous weekend experiences. I think it's time to work out a few more DIY routes that finish at Shenfield station and so avoid the trek back into London.
Anyway hopefully another 2 points... making a grand total of a quarter of 40 at 40!

* or somewhere near hottest ..

Bairn Again

« Reply #90 on: 24 August, 2016, 09:35:56 am »
At the weekend I did a DIY 600, starting from my in laws in Ft William just before 6am Saturday and finishing back home In Edinburgh (Mrs wanted to visit her parents and was happy to let me go cycling if I drove up there Fri, seemed a reasonable bargain). 

Route on Saturday took me round Loch Eil and back to the Corran Ferry the long way then straight down to Tarbert via Oban and Lochgilphead and a retrace to Ft William for 350km.  Great cycling down toOban via the Tarmac bike path only interrupted by very short road stretches, with the lovely approach into Oban via Ganavan.  After Oban it got very lumpy and I plodded away at the 80k to Tarbert knowing I had to retrace.  Got back to Oban at 8pm for fish and chips and enjoyed an evening pootle on the bike path.  Ft William was reached at 1am and the alarm set for 5.

Away again at 0545 for the ride back down to Connel again and then to Crianlarich for lunch and a break from the bad driving and surface on the A82.  At least I knew i had a choice of routes after Lochearnhead when I took the bike track which slowed me up but made for more enjoyment.  The path to Callander had some stretches where the surface was pretty bad and mr tetchy did appear, but I was still happy to avoid the traffic.  Went the quiet way via deanston to Doune then over the Hill of Rew to Causewayhead and a stop at the famous Corrieris cafe.  From there I had about 10 different routes home all +/- 2km of each other so I went north side of the forth to Kincardine and crossed over and used the cycle path to Lauriston.  After that it was the old A9 back home.  Unfortunately I got a puncture with 20km to go, then again with 3km to go.  The latter was a slowie so as long as I kept out the saddle it would last for nearly 1km.  So I started and stopped my way back home. 

Dry and sunny mostly, west highlands had the best of the weekend weather with just one shower for about 30 mins on Saturday.  Subject to validation it's my 12th consecutive SR.  I know don't have to do a September 600!

Overall it was enjoyable, hillier than I would normally seek to do but starting from Ft William and sleeping there Sat pm really did limit my choices.  I remember those hills from the Mull of Kintyre 600 and they are tough. 

Lots of cycling on dedicated cycle ways, the one between Oban and ballachulksh really is first class, though on the way north on Saturday night I only used the stretches that were on the seaward side of the main road as the other stretches are more convoluted and lumpy.  Road was dead anyway. 

« Reply #91 on: 29 August, 2016, 09:21:07 am »
After being chief potwasher at Anslow on the national and real life getting in the way of the helpers ride I had JayP's permission to butcher his route somewhat for a DIY.

So on Saturday morning at 3 am under clear skies I headed out across the Cheshire plain through patches of chilly mist to make the ascent of the Cat and Fiddle. As I reached the pub and refilled my bottles (the pub is currently closed but the outside tap is still on, which is handy) dawn was just breaking and it was stunning, even with my colour vision the sky was a riot, and it was one of those perfect moments

The descent into Buxton was equally spectacular with all the valleys full of mist reflecting the sun giving the appearance of a massive lake with the peaks looming out of it like islands. Here I joined the route of the National along the Monsall Trail but ran all the way to Bakewell to find the Co-Op lie about their opening hours, I managed to get a pint of milk to go with my saddle bag supplies before returning to the route through Youlgreave.

A steady run to Hatton where I refueled and resupplied while it bucketed it down, which stopped as I set off  :thumbsup: I had planned to stop next at Ironbridge at halfway but as I came into Brewood I figured Ironridge might be manic so stopped for lunch at a convenient spot for chicken pasta. As I rolled into Ironbridge I wasn't feeling too clever and was rather explosively unwell, despite this my legs were still good and I enjoyed the tailwind all the way to Shrewsbury, here I'd messed with route to run straight through resulting in a series of sprints between roundabouts.

This level of exertion coupled with the previous evacuation meant that I was running on empty and about to bonk when I got to Knockin, so diverted to the Knockin Shop for pasty and cake. A very steady ride to Oswestry where something manic involving hundreds of motor bikes was happening before continuing to Llangollen and the a return to Chirk for noodles and I was starting to feel physically better.

At St Martins some loon in van took exception to my road position and forced me through a series of potholes resulting in a broken spoke, this affected me pretty badly and at Ellesmere came close to packing it in but just about managed to resolve to push on. This was where I left the route to run for home and was reminded that lanes you know well in the day are very different at night and these particular lanes around Whixall moss had a challenging surface at the best of times, this and wind I had previously enjoyed wasn't helping my still fragile mental state.

Prees Heath was like an oasis the way I felt and here I manged to pull my proverbial together for the 70 odd km to home. The lanes became more familiar and better surfaced as I headed through Cheshire, although I did have stern words with myself at routing up one of the few 10% climbs in this part of the world. Leaving Northwich I had the company of a pair of badger outriders for a few hundred meters, they were pretty quick. The final few km's up to High Legh and I although I felt pretty much ok, there was no power left and the GPS showed I was crawling along.

So my longest ride and reaching home couldn't decide how I felt about the whole thing, a curious mix of satisfaction and trauma coupled with exhaustion.   

https://www.strava.com/activities/691434267/overview

« Reply #92 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:39:25 am »
Ten out of ten for tenacity, Si - well done!

« Reply #93 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:50:46 am »

So my longest ride and reaching home couldn't decide how I felt about the whole thing, a curious mix of satisfaction and trauma coupled with exhaustion.   

https://www.strava.com/activities/691434267/overview

Welcome to long distance cycling ;D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #94 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:59:32 am »
Lovely ride report  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #95 on: 29 August, 2016, 11:45:17 am »
Nice ride report, Si, but this:

I managed to get a pint of milk to go with my saddle bag supplies before returning to the route through Youlgreave.

Aren't you a bit old for the old 'following the milkman' trick?  ;)

« Reply #96 on: 04 September, 2016, 08:51:48 pm »
Deferred from Saturday`s deluge set out for a 100 km AAA ride heading out west towards Elan Valley. Not quite as nice as forecast with a little drizzle but not enough for a rain jacket.

https://www.strava.com/activities/700156629

Heading into drizzley hills

DSCF9258 by jamesld8, on Flickr

Made good progress as far as Abbeycwmhir and realised that I was going a bit too hard and couldn`t keep this pace up---maybe a legacy of recently doing Single speed riding I was finding myself pushing a bigger gear than I normally do on my 20 speed bike. So eased off considerably for the 2.5km 6% climb out of the valley and enjoyed the views and observed the copious berries on the rowans and bilberries along the roadside.

On the Abbeycwmhir climb

DSCF9259 by jamesld8, on Flickr

A brisk breeze was blowing down the long climb out of Rhayader all 5km of it so I took this steady as well, all too easy to overcook the effort on this climb.

`classic` Elan mountain road view

DSCF9261 by jamesld8, on Flickr

Reaching the psychological half way at the top

DSCF9262 by jamesld8, on Flickr
 homeward bound just Radnor Forest to cross

DSCF9265 by jamesld8, on Flickr
 it was then a fairly steady run back home with no major hills to contend to complete 118 km and near on 1700m climbing in just under five hours riding.  A very pleasant morning` DIY  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #97 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:40:13 am »
Very nicely atmospheric!

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #98 on: 05 September, 2016, 01:10:52 pm »
I rode my 600 DIY this weekend to complete (providing validation) this year's SR

Starting from my home near The Forth Road Bridge, I rode out to Dollar through Dunfermline and through the lovely Glen Devon and down to Glen Eagles. From here I rode out to Crieff, where I stopped for a bite to eat and a water refill. Then East through Perth and along the beautiful glen north of the Sidlaw Hills, north of Perth and Dundee, to Forfar before continuing on to Friockhiem to a friends for lunch. Then north through Brechin and through Edzell, Fettercairns (both with nice arches as you approach) and down to coffee at Castleton Farm Shop. Returing the same way, I feared a head wind as I had had no wind in my face all morning, but it appeared to be very low so I was saved the slog back. Getting to Forfar I called in for McD's and then onto Perth and out to Crief, where the rain came on as it was getting dark. I found a Pizza place and tooked into a large Calzone before getting my w/proofs on again for the ride south over Glen Devon the steep way. The ride north through Glen Devon is a slow climb and a fast descent but now from the top of Glen Devon going south it was down hill to Dollar. Now on familiar roads I slogged back through Dunfermline and the many wet drinks shouting and arguing, to get home at 30 mins past midnight. I'd planned for 2am but to be home early was great. Shower and bed with the alarm set for 06:30.

Up and out for 07:30, I visited Clackmannan and on to Auchterader and a new swish café. Caked and coffeed I then rode out in glorious sunshine to Newburgh and on to Tayport before turning in to a breeze to St Andrews. Coffee and a sandwich set me up for the ride to Falkland following the lumpy route 1 where I found an iced cream seller :o) Avoiding the Lomond hill climb, I chanced my arm on the A92 dual carrage way for a mile before heading round the horrible new town of Glenrothes where a the motor car is king. Out to Lesley and then via Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath and home at 1800 hours. cream crackered, but relieved at completing.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #99 on: 05 September, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »
I completed a 200k mandatory GPS DIY on Sunday. Not my first or hardest audax but the longest distance cycled in two years. Now quite sore in the buttock and neck areas but the owner of a satisfied smile.

Setting off from home in north Manchester, I took a slightly dog leg way to Tatton Park where I was due to rendezvous with a mate. He was doing the Manchester 100 mile charity ride and I planned to ride along with him for a while before cutting off and taking a different way home. He was not able to make it on the day so I set off an hour later than we had arranged, avoiding the band of rain which kindly dissipated. This also meant I would be on the roads later than most of the M’cr 100 cyclists - or so I thought.

As I got to Tatton Park, I came across quite a few riders of various types and experience. I settled in behind one group but the pace was a little slow and so I pushed on alone. I felt good and strong and was enjoying having a full day out. Most of the route was familiar to me as it uses the same roads utilised by audax rides in the area - the Mere 200 and Llanfair 400 at least. I had a quick bench break and text my wife at 70k to tell her I was OK. A few riders passed and I pushed on after them. I wanted to make use of a few smaller lanes familiar to me from previous outings but my route followed the M’cr 100 riders at this point.

Through Delamere Forest, onto to Tattenhall and then Nantwich. There were only a few cyclists about now and most of these were normal Sunday cyclists oncoming or passing across my route. Halfway reached without a stop but my average 23kph was starting to dip a bit. I noticed marshals’ waving riders down and heard about a diversion ahead. Conscious of my mandatory route, I pushed on to Long Lane at Haughton where I found the quite lane well and truly closed. Apparently a cyclist had been injured and airlifted some time before and the police were now investigating the scene. Quick pic to confirm the rationale for my diversion and then I consulted my Etrex 20 to find a way round. It added about 2km and very pleasant it was too. Hope the cyclist is alright.

About 120k I started to get some stomach pains. I'd been running on Soreen bars and my own isotonic mix but needed to stop for carbohydrate and additional/alternative fluids. At around 135k I made use of The Old Star pub in Winsford and bought a pint of bitter shandy and bag of salt & vinegar crisps. There were a lot of M’cr 100 cyclists at the hostelry which also had an official stop outside. I think a lot of these were actually completing the 100k route which had now rejoined the longer 100 miler.

The lanes now became roads and were getting increasingly busy as well. Middlewich, Mobberley, Wilmslow and around M’cr airport was soon done. I had left the M’cr 100 route and was taking the shortest way from south Manchester to home in the north of the city. Luckily, I know most of the roads as I cycle commute into the centre. I didn't know the Princess Parkway dual c/w does not allow cyclists to join it where I planned though! The Etrex proved of value again and I found a cycle route avoiding the junction and adding just 1k or so. It allowed me (nay forced me) to join the dual c/w a short way along where the cycle lane just became a bus stop!

Average speed now 19kph which I maintained for the last uphill 9k following my normal commute route. Could tell the difference on this section after 201k compared to normal though. Total distance 208k. Home an hour later than planned but to a warm welcome, a shower, couple of brufen and a waiting Sunday tea. Job done.

Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller