Author Topic: Advice for my first self build  (Read 3837 times)

Advice for my first self build
« on: 08 January, 2016, 12:54:02 pm »
I'm an experienced audaxer (completed first PBP in 2015) planning on building my first bike this year and want it to be an Audax mile-eater.  I've been riding my first road bike since I bought it in 2009 (Bianchi Via Nirone C2C)  but now I want to build something more audax friendly to my own specifications.  This will also serve to teach me bike mechanics, something which I always feel hopelessely inadequate at.
I have already made some decisions on components, including fixed mudguards, disc brakes, pannier dropouts, dynamo hub etc.  This thread is to gather advice on the benefits and drawbacks of suggested components, starting with frame type.
What type of frame would you recommend for Audax and why? Steel, Titanium, or Aluminium?  I don't really want to know what you ride unless it is backed up by some reasoning and/or comparison to lesser previous experiences.
39. Because on every real bicycle there is the unseen pennant of progress, the standard of democracy, the banner of freedom.

Re: Advice for my first self build
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2016, 01:09:29 pm »
It's a question asked on here all the time. Ask three people which material to use for a frame and you will get three different answers, the fourth person you ask is then likely to say 'I use carbon'.

The experts will be along shortly but what is your budget and do you ride a bike at the moment, if so what material is that made from and do you like it?

I built myself a bike for Audax but never really got started. It's a Genesis and is made from steel. I love it, but the reason for buying was entirely down to aesthetics and the fact steel stood out in the café against all of the carbon bling at my last cycling club. I've spent many comfortable hours in the saddle on it and it suits me.

However, that is likely to be as much to do with geometry as material.

Find a bike you are comfortable on made in any material you like and you won't go far wrong. Ride as many as you can before making the purchase if you haven't done so already.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2016, 01:28:23 pm »
"Audax mile-eater" means different things to different people

Some people do audax and rarely do a 200km.  Others do 200km in the winter and up to 600km in the summer.  Others go even further in all year round.

Also the speed is a difference in approach.  Some are plodders (slow but steady) and others strive to go as quick as possible

Go on any audax and you will see a spread of bike types.

« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2016, 03:57:09 pm »
What do you feel are the disadvantages of your Bianchi that you'd like the new bike to address?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2016, 04:59:45 pm »
What type of frame would you recommend for Audax and why? Steel, Titanium, or Aluminium?  I don't really want to know what you ride unless it is backed up by some reasoning and/or comparison to lesser previous experiences.

Carbon.  It's a master of all trades.

I'd go Carbon, Discs, Mudguard mounts.  I've ridden all sorts of Audaxes, SRs, PBP ..etc on Steel and done the same on Carbon.  The Carbon bike moves more quickly and it's just as comfortable. It buys me a few hours on a 600.

Neither of my Audax bikes have disc brakes but I have them on my Single-Speed and I'm sold on the technology.

My Carbon only takes Raceblades but they are fine.  The Disc version (TREK Domane) takes full SKS mudguards.

Basically the TREK Domane 4.5 Disc is my ideal bike.  I'd look into having a Dyno wheel built using a small diameter hub.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2016, 05:54:54 pm »
Asked all the time, but

my main audax bike for this year will probably be the Ti bike. It's a 'performance' frame, so I think it needs big 28 tyres to keep it comfy. The Steel Bike is comfy on 25s. OTOH, my alloy cross bike is comfy too.

When I was finishing the audax bike my thinking was:

1. The Ti frame rides really nicely and is quick for me, plus the steering is nice with the big tyres.
2. I wanted dynamo lights - I like having lights I don't need to worry about apart from audax. I built my own wheels using the new Shutter Precision SV9 hub. It's tiny and light and comes in 32 spoke or 24 depending your reliability outlook. Mine's built 24 hole radial with Sapim Laser spokes with wide rims. I recommend building your own wheels just for the experience and to gain the skill.
3. Full guards - the big tyres meant we had to find a way to 'adjust' SKS P45 Chromoplastics.
4. Tubeless tyres - I like them
5. I've faffed about with all sorts of luggage systems and am back to a rack and rackpack. Better to ride with than panniers and easier to use than a saddlebag. I've also got a bikepacking 'saddlebag' for another bike.

Riding position is aimed at comfy, but you know that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:21:28 pm »
Hmm, Interesting as I'm going though the same thought process myself.

My dilemma is around the carbon vs not carbon consideration at the moment. I have an alloy framed (carbon fork) Giant with decent clearance for guards, rack eyes etc which I've ridden 100miles on comfortably, vs the Carbon framed Orbea which whilst quick(er), has no mudguard or rack provision and limited clearance for larger tyres.

Of course no-body has mentioned the R-word yet, which a lot of Audaxers seem to go with, and is adding to my dilemma

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:37:28 pm »
Another vote for Ti Frame / Carbon fork (and handbuilt wheels)
Mine is more comfortable to ride (and noticeably quicker) than the venerable steel tourer on which I rode my first few audax.
With a lifetime warranty on the frame I'm unlikely ever to buy another, but if I did, it would be Ti again but with discs.

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:43:11 pm »
I'm ... planning on building my first bike this year and want it to be an Audax mile-eater ... What type of frame would you recommend for Audax

One that doesn't include an electric motor

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:45:42 pm »
I've ridden all sorts of Audaxes, SRs, PBP ..etc on Steel and done the same on Carbon.  The Carbon bike moves more quickly and it's just as comfortable. It buys me a few hours on a 600.
All other things being equal, that statoid  is *extremely* unlikely.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:57:51 pm »
As echoed above- whatever you prefer! I have steel and carbon at the moment and would probably ride up to a 200 on the carbon (only because its a rather racy setup) and anything over that on the steel because of the geometry, fat tyres, mudguards and ability to carry a bit more. It really depends on the geometry and the way the bike is put together in all honesty!

« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2016, 07:28:05 pm »
Ti is nice, but mine are, to be frank, an indulgence, albeit they handle well, are comfortable, and do most things other than racing.  That's more down to the frame design than the materials. 

The other thing is that, if you are just starting out, you'll probably change your mind a few times in the succeeding years.

« Reply #12 on: 08 January, 2016, 10:45:11 pm »
Around 2 years ago I was pondering the same question.  Wanted something sprightly but comfortable, for longer distances/light touring, winter and night riding.
The one thing I became certain of was that I wanted a custom frame to get the fit right (something I'd always struggled with when buying off the peg).  The other benefit would be to have something unique.
It had to be comfortable
It had to be durable - I don't get any joy from fettling
It had to be fun to ride
Must have 28C plus Guards
Must have dynohub and lighting F&R

In the end it boiled down to Titanium or Steel for the Custom aspect.  Titanium really pushed the budget and I had some (maybe unreasonable fears) of frame failure.
In the end I went custom 853 Audax with steel fork (from Rourke) and have to say the bike has worked out very well.  It's not particularly light (but could have been built-up lighter) due to the steel fork, Brooks and Dynamo shod wheels etc, but it fits well, feels lively without being twitchy and has that all day fun factor without being fatiguing.  It has all the braze-ons I wanted and DT shifters too.  It's idiosyncratic but it works for me.
So a vote for custom steel here.

IJL

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2016, 10:18:22 am »
I have spent some time pondering the same question, this is the current focus of my lust

http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hub-gear-and-chainring-bolts-040.jpg

The enigma web site are not half as appealing (its an ethos)

« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2016, 10:37:08 am »
Another thought, if I was starting from scratch I'd seriously consider a Genesis Datum.

Carbon, discs, clearance for 32 or even 35 tyres with guards and short enough trail to keep the front lively (which I like).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:06:14 am »
Another thought, if I was starting from scratch I'd seriously consider a Genesis Datum.

Carbon, discs, clearance for 32 or even 35 tyres with guards and short enough trail to keep the front lively (which I like).

never mind starting from scratch, this is my next n+1 God willing
Have to wait for the next load to arrive from China in April though